Massive outbreak of YB Sickness on the continent

PigeonDesigner

Aye and these grade one condition pigeon are ready for 600 mile? Somehow I don't think so.... that's not to say the odd one might.But it's interesting how this splits the fancy. Do you use anything other than paramixo vaccine, Chris?

hi albear,

i'm not having a dig or anything but how many birds in your loft would go 600 mls straight from the shed now, not many i bet, if any at all.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not bothered by it, beleive there are underlying problems if you get it!

Dont agree at all m8, everyone gets ybs to some degree. Whether it is birds not responding to getting called in or the lethal strain that kills them. It is a virus, therefore it is airborne. It is nothing to do with being a good fancier. Ive seen it at fanciers lofts and they didnt know they had it, stating that they have never been bothered with it

Dont agree at all m8, everyone gets ybs to some degree. Whether it is birds not responding to getting called in or the lethal strain that kills them. It is a virus, therefore it is airborne. It is nothing to do with being a good fancier. Ive seen it at fanciers lofts and they didnt know they had it, stating that they have never been bothered with it

i'd have to disagree with you delboy, we've never had it to any degree.  

i'd have to disagree with you delboy, we've never had it to any degree.  

Then you dont have ybs m8. EVERYBODY has had it to some degree. ( Might not fly as good one day , thats Y.B.S. Might not respond to call, thats Y.B.S.Might not eat as much as usual, thats YBS )Thats not a maybe, or a guess.Thats a FACT. I have been told this by many top vets from both Britain and the continent

Guest strapper

Paul you will see on the medication thread and other threads previous I medicate... however I have NEVER had YB sickness. Mind you I haven't mated up yet this year ;D

i know m8 didnt say that medicating is the real cause of it,because like you i medicate and i dont always have it, ive only ever had it 2 -3 times.

Do you think that over the years fanciers buying the continental style loft ie.perspex windows etc has contributed to ybs.Years ago all lofts in this area had wire net windows doors all open to the elements.A Welsh lad that moved to the village his loft was built completely of louvers with only the floor and roof solid never any problems then.

Then you dont have ybs m8. EVERYBODY has had it to some degree. ( Might not fly as good one day , thats Y.B.S. Might not respond to call, thats Y.B.S.Might not eat as much as usual, thats YBS )Thats not a maybe, or a guess.Thats a FACT. I have been told this by many top vets from both Britain and the continent

hi delboy, so i guess your saying if everything not's perfect and routine everyday that's ybs. if you want to believe that it's up to you mate. my birds fly for as long as they want , if they fly less/burn off less calories on a particular day they will not need as much food that's not ybs.  i never keep my young bird's starving so someday's you'll have a couple that may not want to come in when you want, that's not ybs.  i don't care what any vets have told you,most are flogging you products anyway to line their own pockets.  

Guest strapper

can i point out that youngbird sickness as it is better known ,can be contracted by old birds. the virus was 1st discovered in youngbirds where it takes hold of them in a more distint way, oldbirds may show no sign of it other than slight listfulness or even develop sour crop and even mis diagnosed as other illnesses....where the adeno virus has resulted in infecting the upper respitory tract hence the crop holding corn or water.

Guest strapper

i think its funny how some youngbirds bred the same way dont get it in a loft where some do...genes are the same..just like children in a house hold some get a cold some dont,maybe theres a fault gene in some birds that allow certain viruses to penetrate more deeply than others.

i had youngbirds last season contract the sickness yet youngbirds in a different compartment with their parents didnt get it, with only a wire separation between them?

Guest spin cycle

Try not cleaning out, not spraying the loft out with an anti viral spray or bleaching drinkers, you are preventing your youngbirds from building natural immunity!

When youngbirds are weaned is when they are most prone to infection, they will have limited imunity from there parents but by keeping them in a sterile environment won't help them, leave them to strengthen there own imunity and don't overcrowd them in the loft.

i think there is something in this. i don't clean out frequently or use disinfectants...i've not had yb sic. but perhaps i've just been lucky. on another forum i think a member said he'd darkened his ybs and they'd gone down sick. IMO keep the new introdutions to a min. breed your own and spend the saved cash on extra training :)

hi albear,

i'm not having a dig or anything but how many birds in your loft would go 600 mls straight from the shed now, not many i bet, if any at all.

Hiya, none I would think but that's 'cause their not fit. Haven't been out of my loft since begining of September, however they would possibly come home eventually. But I'm missing the point?

Sorry just reread and assume you are asking in relation to Chris Little's post. If my birds were in the nick that the streeties are I would expect those capable of doing 600 to do it.

hi delboy, so i guess your saying if everything not's perfect and routine everyday that's ybs. if you want to believe that it's up to you mate. my birds fly for as long as they want , if they fly less/burn off less calories on a particular day they will not need as much food that's not ybs.  i never keep my young bird's starving so someday's you'll have a couple that may not want to come in when you want, that's not ybs.  i don't care what any vets have told you,most are flogging you products anyway to line their own pockets.  

Listen a second, Ive visited most top lofts in Scotland and EVERYONE has had YBS at sometime. Some say they havent but when I showed them then they realised what I was on about. A simile to what you are saying is that, say you were a teacher in a primary school and none of your kids in your class ever came down with a virus. The probability of that is 0% mate. Young pigeons are the same, susceptible to viruses that may not affect adult birds.

The real problem with Y.B.S is that alot of fanciers think it is their fault for the disease and therefore dismiss ever having it in there loft.
spot on derick or they havent a clue that they do have a problem, thats more to the point

spot on derick or they havent a clue that they do have a problem, thats more to the point

nobody has any real idea of the causes or if they have a problem and thats not discrediting anybody, not even the more experienced as perhaps delboy is has any real answers, if he did he's be a very rich man with recipe for the cure tucked away safely in the bank.   strapper was the closest to the answer when he said that it depends on the way you've developed an immunity, some kids/YB's do, some don't.  until we understand it fully why that is the case we wont ever get rid of YBS or reduce the number of outbreaks, and delboy is right that denial and lack of knowledge is usually YB sickness' best friend.

the way i approach it is to help build the birds promote their own immunity to any number of illness and whilst not foolproof it has helped reduce the number of incidents i've had over the years.  the more i learn to adapt the better at prevention but i would never be so complacent so as to say i will ever be free from the threat.  

one path that not many have even considered is somehow introducing stress b vits into the YB even before its born, because stress is the one common denominator found as a precursor for YB sickness.   i've experimented with giving the birds extra vitaminB cocktails just before and during pairing up with the theory they pass some of this re-enforcement of the nervous systems (which we know vitamin b12 does) down through the egg to the chick.  the scientific theory behind this is just like an alcoholic can pass the alcohol through the blood to a baby there is no reason why the same principle cant be applied to the egg.

all options are worth exploring and dont all cost a fortune   ;)

Fanciers in Belgium & Holland wouldn’t batter an eyelid if it were y/b/s, sounds to me as if its something much more sinister for them to make a noise about it.

Something else for us to contend with, another nail in the coffin!

Listen a second, Ive visited most top lofts in Scotland and EVERYONE has had YBS at sometime. Some say they havent but when I showed them then they realised what I was on about. A simile to what you are saying is that, say you were a teacher in a primary school and none of your kids in your class ever came down with a virus. The probability of that is 0% mate. Young pigeons are the same, susceptible to viruses that may not affect adult birds.

so what happens if you don't treat them?

Inclined to agree with you Tony,Y/B sickness is as yet out of season,doesnt normally kick in till birds are put under stress/training/racing,and even the continentals although early breedrs for the market,havent yet started racing etc,and they do recover from it,sound to me also possibily something more sinister,if they are perplexed by it,and there are none better than continentals in (overusing) antis

so what happens if you don't treat them?

There are various ( 17 I think ) strains of YBS. Most dont need any treatment except keeping ybs hydrated eg electrolytes in water, but if you get the fatal one then really, Ive found out that ADENOSAN is the best cure for it. Hope you dont get that strain m8.

There are various ( 17 I think ) strains of YBS. Most dont need any treatment except keeping ybs hydrated eg electrolytes in water, but if you get the fatal one then really, Ive found out that ADENOSAN is the best cure for it. Hope you dont get that strain m8.

sorry , i was thinking more along the lines of they're racing ability if not treated for.

sorry , i was thinking more along the lines of they're racing ability if not treated for.

Birds will completely recover from YBS but shouldnt be raced for at least a week after recovery. It is a fact, and most folk dont know it, YBS is the cause of alot of yb losses. If you can recognise it, then you will reap the benefits. I ve won yb average in club 9 out of last 10 years. Also, may I say, having by far the best returns

pjc dont tell fanciers not to disinfect there lofts it kills all germs a lot of our club members in fact all disinfect i would encourage it idsinfect my birds 3 times just now and every day in the racing season i have  4ft corridor all my birds are seperated into this cage sprayed with the best maff disin

ive had ybs every year since 1999 and im lucky i supose to get it before i start training.

i get them through it and they perform as good as anybodies. 3rd, 7th,8th,38th young bird national 2008 and topped the fed twice this year.

won the young bird averages the last 7 years. so if you get ybs dont kill them get them through it

Birds will completely recover from YBS but shouldnt be raced for at least a week after recovery. It is a fact, and most folk dont know it, YBS is the cause of alot of yb losses. If you can recognise it, then you will reap the benefits. I ve won yb average in club 9 out of last 10 years. Also, may I say, having by far the best returns

my returns are good also, but i keep my young birds natural so very rarely send to the end of season races(1 year i did). my main racing is old birds so young birds here have a relativly easy time. but they'll win and score more than most in the early part of the season.

young birds are not cleaned out,all droppings are scraped onto the floor and this is the way they'll be kept all season. as i've said i've not noticed anything wrong with them and they score nearly every race . i did'nt race yb last year cause of a problem with a neihbour, but the year before i was winning races with upto 7 birds coming together to win and top the sect from1,400 birds and i was the longest flyer in the result .