Massive outbreak of YB Sickness on the continent

PigeonDesigner

pjc dont tell fanciers not to disinfect there lofts it kills all germs our club members disinfect encourage it i disinfect birds and loft 3 times just now and every day inracing season i get all birds into  a dowelled section in corridor and mist the birds with sorgene maff disinfection 2ml to litre water stops trouble entering loft USE IT NOW

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive had ybs every year since 1999 and im lucky i supose to get it before i start training.

i get them through it and they perform as good as anybodies. 3rd, 7th,8th,38th young bird national 2008 and topped the fed twice this year.

won the young bird averages the last 7 years. so if you get ybs dont kill them get them through it

Heres my point exactly, Brian here is another top Scottish loft that has seen YBS for the last ten years. The thing here is, he has recognised it.

Birds will completely recover from YBS but shouldnt be raced for at least a week after recovery. It is a fact, and most folk dont know it, YBS is the cause of alot of yb losses. If you can recognise it, then you will reap the benefits. I ve won yb average in club 9 out of last 10 years. Also, may I say, having by far the best returns.

where do you get your facts from delboy?  ive been studying pigeon circovirus  infection for a long time now and the only thing that you may be doing that is different from others is taking away the stress from the birds? {birds returns are almost always linked to a happy stress free loft, the more stress free the loft the better then number of returns, no big secret}.   its also more of a fact that YBS is often asymptomatic (without symptom) so most fanciers wouldnt know if their birds have got it until its too late, as for the week after recovery, it would be interesting to know how you could even tell if the pigeon has recovered to allow for the week of post treatment respite before racing them again?  what about letting them out for training after treatment?  do you simply go by after you've treated the birds with adenosine as the period?   not knocking your knowledge, im fascinated by it, but you should never claim things as facts, there's no room for that in science, there is only supportive evidence to an hypothesis  ;)

I've followed the progress of young bird sickness over the years, through reports & articles published in BHW. It's now developed into a syndrome and as posts suggest, affects young and old.

The last BHW Article suggested the virus (circovirus) goes dormant then resurfaces later in the OB, infecting the new YBs.

One of the problems I have is that folk describe a different set of symptoms, ranging from off-colour to dropping dead overnight off perches. Nobody in the veterinary side seemed to have a real handle on it either, possibly because they didn't get a chance to examine birds.

Last year I was able to purchase a research paper on-line which I'll attach for you to read. It's very topical because the affected lofts were in Ireland.  I think you'll have a good laugh when you read it , see the range of things these poor birds had, and tell me how you can miss it, and cure them and get them back in race basket in a week.

And no, I've never had it.

At my place of work quite a large number of pigeons are present. They perch / nest in any nook and cranny they find on the structural steelwork whilst still exposed to the elements.

They are in grade one condition, I have watched them all winter, they are happy as larry clapping around the skies in all weather.

They live from what feed they find in the fields, fanciers have only themselves to blame for these illnesses, start fiddling with medicines and you're asking for trouble

agree,, with these birds its the survival of the fittest ,, with racing pigeons it has now become the propped up,  brigade,, pruducing birds with less consitution,, breeding birds of the same sort :) in my opinion

As per usual,we don't see the Wood for the Trees,it seems with all apparently discussing personal insight only into these problems,my question is ,Where do these circus of new sickness originate from,back in the 60/70 there was very little sickness,also very little "gunk" being put into pigeons,to me its a lot more than just a coincidence,that the more we treat blindly,the more problems are created in the long run.

Guest youngzimmy

ONE HAS TO WONDER ABOUT THIS SORT OF THING THE DRUGS THAT ARE USED ANTI THIS ANTI THAT  BOSTERS FOR THIS THAT AND THE OTHER WHAT DO YOU PUT IN YOUR WATER YOU WILL GET ABOUT FORTY  DIFFERRNT ANSWERS AM THAT ALONE I FEEL THAT PEOPLE ARE STUFFING THERE PIGEONS FULL OF SO MUCH OF THAT CRAP THAT THE PIGEON HAS NO IMUNITY LEFT LOOK AROUND YOU RIGHT KNOW LOOK AT THE WOOD PIGEONS THE PICTURE OF HEALTH MO DRUGS JUST GOOD OLD MOTHER NATURE TO DEPEND ON CERTAIN  PIGEON SALES MAGAZINES HAVE ABOUT FIVE OR SIX PAGES OF EVERY DRUG KNOWN TO MAN TO TREAT HIS PIGEONS ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE NO NATURAL IMUNITY  PLENTY SICK DOOS

I've never had it. Full stop, and I don't treat much for much and that's a fact.

Great believe in a little lime in drinkers left to settle over night as I've often posted. Many in one club I'm in most do that too.... very few have had young birds sickness either.

I have heard the lime in drinking water preventative several times.

Without knocking it I would just like to say that this is doing the exact opposite from adding cider vinegar to the drinker.

One makes the water acidic and the other makes it alkaline.

Guest youngzimmy

ONE HAS TO WONDER ABOUT THIS SORT OF THING THE DRUGS THAT ARE USED ANTI THIS ANTI THAT  BOSTERS FOR THIS THAT AND THE OTHER WHAT DO YOU PUT IN YOUR WATER YOU WILL GET ABOUT FORTY  DIFFERRNT ANSWERS TO THAT ALONE I FEEL THAT PEOPLE ARE STUFFING THERE PIGEONS FULL OF SO MUCH OF THAT CRAP THAT THE PIGEON HAS NO IMUNITY LEFT LOOK AROUND YOU RIGHT KNOW LOOK AT THE WOOD PIGEONS THE PICTURE OF HEALTH MO DRUGS JUST GOOD OLD MOTHER NATURE TO DEPEND ON CERTAIN  PIGEON SALES MAGAZINES HAVE ABOUT FIVE OR SIX PAGES OF EVERY DRUG KNOWN TO MAN TO TREAT HIS PIGEONS ITS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE NO NATURAL IMUNITY  PLENTY SICK DOOS

Without knocking it I would just like to say that this is doing the exact opposite from adding cider vinegar to the drinker.

Yep, and also that Lime could cause E. Coli etc. etc. is often spouted. Never happens, is a myth. I.B. will no doubt look this up again and say it is ' Bla Blah Blap etc.' but in this game. and in many walks of life we are often using and doing what shouldn't be, to great advantage and benefit.

Back in the 50's 60's much use was made of Lime. Nigh every bird pecked at the Lime Cement between bricks, went fielding for the Lime / minerals etc. across the fields.

Many the loft, loft I am doing now, were coated in lime. Further this year again, - have stareted now - I will scrape out, then drop some lime on the floors, and scrape it into the wood work. Use to use a damp clothe like most. Now use as a paint, then neat instead of 'White. Keeps the loft sweet and fresh smelling, and further rids of most nasties.

Only reason I stopped doing it was when I was lucky enough to get some 'Chinese Chalk'. That was an absolute boon.

Only thing with lime, one doesn't want to leave it in a powder  dust form too often. Get down the throat... but more importantly in the yes, which is not good for them of course.

So go figure.

pjc dont tell fanciers not to disinfect there lofts it kills all germs a lot of our club members in fact all disinfect i would encourage it idsinfect my birds 3 times just now and every day in the racing season i have  4ft corridor all my birds are seperated into this cage sprayed with the best maff disin

100% correct! Sanitation is  -In these days especially - every thing. Proventive far far better than cure every time. Samonella for example can quickly come in as a secondarily desiese etc. No one wants that I can assure you all. So prevention is a must...

And at best can do no harm.

i know I even hear once or twice that Lime would encourage Samonella! EEK what balony.

Yep, and also that Lime could cause E. Coli etc. etc. is often spouted. Never happens, is a myth. I.B. will no doubt look this up again and say it is ' Bla Blah Blap etc.' but in this game. and in many walks of life we are often using and doing what shouldn't be, to great advantage and benefit.

Back in the 50's 60's much use was made of Lime. Nigh every bird pecked at the Lime Cement between bricks, went fielding for the Lime / minerals etc. across the fields.

Many the loft, loft I am doing now, were coated in lime. Further this year again, - have stareted now - I will scrape out, then drop some lime on the floors, and scrape it into the wood work. Use to use a damp clothe like most. Now use as a paint, then neat instead of 'White. Keeps the loft sweet and fresh smelling, and further rids of most nasties.

Only reason I stopped doing it was when I was lucky enough to get some 'Chinese Chalk'. That was an absolute boon.

Only thing with lime, one doesn't want to leave it in a powder  dust form too often. Get down the throat... but more importantly in the yes, which is not good for them of course.

So go figure.

I find too much lime drys the feathers out. I prefer sand as a floor dressing. I suppose you could add lime but its getting the ratios right

Yes the late fifties and sixties Roland were good pigeon days, compared to what he have to put up with today. I brushed the lime with a hand brush, after scraping out daily, in those days. It certainly made the birds look better in my own mind.  But I started to study eye sign after some old fancier lent me "The Four Seasons"  which was well before its time, in fact, it was in pijin English at the time.  It was then that I noticed that the eyes of my birds were more liquidy, than most other guys birds, which you couldn't notice without the eye glass. I haven't used lime since by the way. The usage  of creosote was another belief at the time, and mynest boxes  got a coating every year. But come November, the feathers of our moulting birds with white in their plumage, looked yellowish when the moult was in full swing.  Good or bad, You tell me.

Guest youngzimmy

THE TOPIC IS Massive outbreak of YB Sickness on the continent WHY ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT LIME  AND CREOSOTE DO YOU GET THE FEELING YOUS YINS ARE A MILE OR TWO OFF THE TOPIC

THE TOPIC IS Massive outbreak of YB Sickness on the continent WHY ARE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT LIME  AND CREOSOTE DO YOU GET THE FEELING YOUS YINS ARE A MILE OR TWO OFF THE TOPIC
youngzimmy Vic gave his answer is relating to the prevention of an outbreak in his own loft and what he does to do that by referring to the 'good old days' when old fashioned methods were used that seem to work , turn your flippong CAPS LOCK off as well, it looks like your always shouting at someone  :-/

Guest youngzimmy

i often forget about it not that some members could do with a  bloody good shoutin at they often dont understand the seriosness of this particular subject and go babbling on about irelivences about lime and creosote this is a very dangerous disease and if we dont get down to improving our birds natural imunity then a hell of a lot more birds are going to be lost to this scurge