Massive outbreak of YB Sickness on the continent

PigeonDesigner

I don't know if you have heard about the recent young-bird sickness epidemic on the continent at the moment? Some friends in Belgium & Holland have told me that it is a terrible case that really is sweeping both nations.

How many people over here have started to see the effects? I know my dad had to kill 20 ybs this weekend...

Shocking news... I hope everyone on the forum gets off lightly

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can there be an outbreak like this at this time of the year iam an early breeder but the y/birds are still bieng fed by there parents and i allways thought they keep them safe while they are being fed from them and sicknes and some of the other ailments are caused/made worse by stress there hasnt been enough time for that or do they get there rings allot earlier than us?

I don't know if you have heard about the recent young-bird sickness epidemic on the continent at the moment? Some friends in Belgium & Holland have told me that it is a terrible case that really is sweeping both nations.

How many people over here have started to see the effects? I know my dad had to kill 20 ybs this weekend...

Shocking news... I hope everyone on the forum gets off lightly

probaly a result of years of antibiotic abuse and no natural immunity left to fight off the diseases.that's my thoughts on it.

how can there be an outbreak like this at this time of the year iam an early breeder but the y/birds are still bieng fed by there parents and i allways thought they keep them safe while they are being fed from them and sicknes and some of the other ailments are caused/made worse by stress there hasnt been enough time for that or do they get there rings allot earlier than us?

hi frank, seeing as they're almost professional like over there, i bet they're yb's are already out and flying.

probaly a result of years of antibiotic abuse and no natural immunity left to fight off the diseases.that's my thoughts on it.

they have been pumpimg there birds up for years , this is a result of it ybs nature bites back

hi frank, seeing as they're almost professional like over there, i bet they're yb's are already out and flying.

you may be right there but surly they cant get 2009 rings before the start of the year?

But not only on the continent, as designer has said, his dad, Bob Fenech has had to kill 20 ybs, no doughbt through excess antibiotic use and foriegn imports!

I am not sure if it is anti-biotic abuse to be honest because for years my dad has boycotted anti-biotics unless prescribed by a vet (which is not very often) for this exact reason. I remember him saying a few years back that anti-biotics were generally bad for the pigeons because it messes with the immune system if misused. He tends to use more herbal remedies nowdays.

But as you say; I am sure the use of antibiotics with an awful lot of fanciers will lower the immune systems and lead to more illnesses. Luckily for our friends in belgium, they have had very little infection but within their regions they have heard of some terrible cases...

I am not sure if it is anti-biotic abuse to be honest because for years my dad has boycotted anti-biotics unless prescribed by a vet (which is not very often) for this exact reason. I remember him saying a few years back that anti-biotics were generally bad for the pigeons because it messes with the immune system if misused. He tends to use more herbal remedies nowdays.

But as you say; I am sure the use of antibiotics with an awful lot of fanciers will lower the immune systems and lead to more illnesses. Luckily for our friends in belgium, they have had very little infection but within their regions they have heard of some terrible cases...

its sad to hear of anyone culling there birds , did your dad have any imports in with these birds or were they all home bred ?

But not only on the continent, as designer has said, his dad, Bob Fenech has had to kill 20 ybs, no doughbt through excess antibiotic use and foriegn imports!

cant see why u have to attack information given out that there is something doing the rounds and he willing to share the info also if im right seen u bid recently on foreign imports recently

what the problem tell u what if there a fancier here whose birds haven't caught something let us all know

pigeon designer i for one hope u giving out info like this as it might help others

as for foreign imports don't make me laugh 98% i would imagine of top winning lines in the uk today are foreign imports how many fanicers would have kept there mouth shut and said they had no problems and if its found out then they are the telling lies or people will even say worse

hear we have a man saying i had a problem im telling everyone about it and not only that im warning u to keep an eye on your own and hes slammed down for it

cant see what the problem is

think people should think more before they type

Pigeondesigner,Many thanks for the info regarding Young Bird sickness,hope effect on your Dads birds are minimal,my own opinion is that most of these sicknesses are the result of OVERUSE of antibiotics,same thing is also applicable in medical science,,antibiotics are being used as a boost by many fanciers during racing,quite successful I am led to believe in the short term,as well as on a regular basis,  to prop up immune systems,until as the song says"the drugs don't work any more" these sicknesses have very little to with Natural order of things,Nature governs all living things in so many different ways,we may on occasions tweak it,but we can never best it, and personally I believe these NEW sickness are down,more to mans input,approx for last 40 years,than any Natural input. At my age I have had the pleasure of seeing  lofts of birds,never having seen an antibiotic race successfully for years at sprint and distance,our only concern would have been Canker,and this was the result of the economic climate,when you had to feed what was available,rather than choice,today the drugs are replacing the fanciers hard work and graft,its aping society in general I expect

cant see why u have to attack information given out that there is something doing the rounds and he willing to share the info also if im right seen u bid recently on foreign imports recently

what the problem tell u what if there a fancier here whose birds haven't caught something let us all know

pigeon designer i for one hope u giving out info like this as it might help others

as for foreign imports don't make me laugh 98% i would imagine of top winning lines in the uk today are foreign imports how many fanicers would have kept there mouth shut and said they had no problems and if its found out then they are the telling lies or people will even say worse

hear we have a man saying i had a problem im telling everyone about it and not only that im warning u to keep an eye on your own and hes slammed down for it

cant see what the problem is

think people should think more before they type

Whose attacking anybody?

Nobody's being attacked just opinions being stated that when people get "YBS" there is normaly an under lying problem!

It maybe through new stock being carriers of something etc which is a reason all new birds should be quaranteened.

Pigeondesigner has informed us of something that seems to be becoming all to frequent and I for one would like to know the post mortum results on one of the culls rather than anything that effects young birds being banded as YBS.

Thanks for info on ybs.my young birds are cleaned out three / four times a day i think it keeps them tame,the lofts are sprayed with virko s,the drinkers cleaned regular with domestos.I get ybs every season how does that lot work.In my opinion ybs is a virus on its own there is an underlying problem but i think that it is caused by the sickness(weakness),be it canker ecoli or any thing else.

Thanks for info on ybs.my young birds are cleaned out three / four times a day i think it keeps them tame,the lofts are sprayed with virko s,the drinkers cleaned regular with domestos.I get ybs every season how does that lot work.In my opinion ybs is a virus on its own there is an underlying problem but i think that it is caused by the sickness(weakness),be it canker ecoli or any thing else.

Try not cleaning out, not spraying the loft out with an anti viral spray or bleaching drinkers, you are preventing your youngbirds from building natural immunity!

When youngbirds are weaned is when they are most prone to infection, they will have limited imunity from there parents but by keeping them in a sterile environment won't help them, leave them to strengthen there own imunity and don't overcrowd them in the loft.

Guest strapper

i dont believe using anti biotics is the only or real cause, there are mounting evidence that regular vacination may well be breaking down imunity for lengthy periods , i remember reading a report stating that a survey had been done , where fanciers had injected their birds not long b4 racing or training.

this stressed the birds and as everyone knows ,even humans are known to contract illnesses when stressed .

how many of you out there vacinnate just b4 racing?, ...maybe two weeks...as required by vaccinating rules set by unions.

medication abuse can cause the birds to be prone to illnesses,because when you take any medication it breaks down imunity for periods of time....i know cause i regularly take medication because im diabetic,and  was told to expect to catch illnesses more easier.

using antibiotics is safe as long as its not abused, i dont  use them willy nilly, and stick to the prescribed doses.

i use them when and where there is evidence that they are needed .

i do not have youngbird sickness every year but id be lying if i were to say i dont get it.

not every member in clubs admit to having illnesses, and recklessly spread viruses ...no good saying this aint done because it is....but not in all clubs....there are many that are responsible and respect others birds.

ive heard already besides this thread of youngbird sickness near london way....early yes...because it usually rears its ugly head around april...at its height in june or july.

best of luck with youngbirds.....paul.

i dont believe using anti biotics is the only or real cause, there are mounting evidence that regular vacination may well be breaking down imunity for lengthy periods , i remember reading a report stating that a survey had been done , where fanciers had injected their birds not long b4 racing or training.

this stressed the birds and as everyone knows ,even humans are known to contract illnesses when stressed .

how many of you out there vacinnate just b4 racing?, ...maybe two weeks...as required by vaccinating rules set by unions.

medication abuse can cause the birds to be prone to illnesses,because when you take any medication it breaks down imunity for periods of time....i know cause i regularly take medication because im diabetic,and  was told to expect to catch illnesses more easier.

using antibiotics is safe as long as its not abused, i dont  use them willy nilly, and stick to the prescribed doses.

i use them when and where there is evidence that they are needed .

i do not have youngbird sickness every year but id be lying if i were to say i dont get it.

not every member in clubs admit to having illnesses, and recklessly spread viruses ...no good saying this aint done because it is....but not in all clubs....there are many that are responsible and respect others birds.

ive heard already besides this thread of youngbird sickness near london way....early yes...because it usually rears its ugly head around april...at its height in june or july.

best of luck with youngbirds.....paul.

Paul you will see on the medication thread and other threads previous I medicate... however I have NEVER had YB sickness. Mind you I haven't mated up yet this year ;D

most are too quick to blame overuse of anti-biotics but theres no real evidence that this is the cause.  It takes many many years for a human to gain resistance to a drug (dozens of years not just one or two) so for birds it would probably be a little longer.   Most already know about YB sickness but for those that dont hope this snippet helps...

Young Bird sickness is a mixed infection, involving viruses and bacteria (especially E.coli and cocci, but also protozoa).  The pathogens are transmitted by air, dust and contact between birds, as well as via communal drinking water and feed;  Outbreaks of the disease are promoted by stress factors such as weaning, the introduction of strange birds into a loft, it can also be brought on by vaccination, even by increased heat (accelerated bacterial growth, water shortage), training of juveniles (basketing) and young pigeon flights.

just like albear said, he treats his birds but hasnt got any problems (fingers crossed for him) so it does support the fact that its the time and the way we bring up young birds that does it.   the problem with YB sickness is that most of us dont know how to accurately diagnose the disease and are probably labelling it wrongly.  from my reading its hard to recognise the disease owing to the numerous pathogens involved in this disease and it is only possible to make a speculative diagnosis.

Recognition and Treatment:

Similar conditions:

E.coli infection, Hexamitiasis.

Treatment:

There is no vaccine against young pigeon disease that could be used to prevent infection. However, sick pigeons can be treated with adenosan. And timely use of adenosan may also prevent an outbreak of the disease in birds suspected of infection.

1. adenosan is used:

For at least 7 days at the first symptoms of young pigeon disease.

If the disease is only recognised at a later stage, it is additionally necessary to use a chemotherapeutic agent with antibiotic activity (preferably furazolidon+) in order to contain the bacterial infection.  The active ingredient furazolidone has been shown to possess specific efficacy against E.coli infections in the gut.

2. adenosan is used in the following situations, where there is reason to fear infection as a result of contact with other young pigeons:

For a 7-day period when introducing new youngsters to the flock.

During the flying season, for 3 days after flights.

3. adenosan is used when a disease outbreak is likely as a result of a challenge to the immune system:  In connection with vaccinations (paramyxovirus infection, Salmonella, pigeon pox) - for 3 days before immunisation and 4 days thereafter.

4. adenosan is used where a change in gut flora predisposes birds to a disease outbreak.  When treating birds for trichomonads, we recommend parallel administration of adenosan over a period of 7 days, beginning 3 days prior to treatment.

this information is probaby already somewhere in the site so excuse if duplicated

At my place of work quite a large number of pigeons are present. They perch / nest in any nook and cranny they find on the structural steelwork whilst still exposed to the elements.

They are in grade one condition, I have watched them all winter, they are happy as larry clapping around the skies in all weather.

They live from what feed they find in the fields, fanciers have only themselves to blame for these illnesses, start fiddling with medicines and you're asking for trouble

At my place of work quite a large number of pigeons are present. They perch / nest in any nook and cranny they find on the structural steelwork whilst still exposed to the elements.

They are in grade one condition, I have watched them all winter, they are happy as larry clapping around the skies in all weather.

They live from what feed they find in the fields, fanciers have only themselves to blame for these illnesses, start fiddling with medicines and you're asking for trouble

Aye and these grade one condition pigeon are ready for 600 mile? Somehow I don't think so.... that's not to say the odd one might.But it's interesting how this splits the fancy. Do you use anything other than paramixo vaccine, Chris?