Massive outbreak of YB Sickness on the continent

PigeonDesigner

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND AS FAR AS AIDS GOES IF CERTAIN PEPLE GO AROUND HAVING SEX WITH MONKEYS WHAT HAPPENS WALA  AIDS SO THERE YOU ARE

Gosh! :o that propaganda was put about 25 years ago  :-/ :-/... laughed at then... and after 1988 when they did a programme dismissing it etc.  8) 8) Then they got into trouble for being stupid and extending April fools day lol :P ;D ;D

P.s, for any one interested it was thought a good idea at the time... but no truth in it whatsoever. :D

Seems that Nature has had to take a back seat in very many different ways.... and not just in our sport. But lets stay with our sport.

Was a time when we were worried about the 'Inner fat' in the hen birds, and their laying and keeping things ship shape to pass on to the youngsters... likewise the Cock bird.

Let some of mine together for instance about last Monday to pair up. The swoop in the skies, they up and away at the least sound etc. Tread and take off etc. and are i and out the loft fetching twigs, nails and what have you. Then they up and away to fly the skies again. I know my birds are fit, knew they were fit to mate. Bodies are in fine fettle, and the desire to chase and court is naturally strong.....

What about the stock birds? Their’ youngsters, and their’ g.grand children. Most never see over the fence, let alone fly with gusto and freedom, just for the sheer hell of it! Like the y/b's eh!

Now just what, and how are we really able to compensate them for this? Never mind that in a fitness context, what about their mental state too?

How are they suppose to feel and produce?

its just a hobby but the crap I talk about is something I can usually back it up with evidence, can you.   :P

It seems that Young Zimmy can back himself up to anything! LOL.

heres proof backing up what i stated about old birds catching this sickness too...for the non believers..have a read

http://www.racingpigeonmall.com/loft/articles/adeno-virus.html

I can’t find the article I referred to earlier on YBS affecting OBs. This is taken from 2006 and refers to the same article:-

There was an article in the BHW 'this year' saying that this disease has developed (called it a syndrome) and now affects OBs too. Article claimed evidence that sick YB isn't really cured, virus simply breaks down into particles which 're-generate' when it becomes an OB and re-infects it.

Interestingly, one of the questions asked in the Health Forum was 'where does it come from' and one reply was 'the Old Birds'. Might be right!  

I also had access to a lot of libraries in 2006 through my then work. This is a shortened extract of a paper which Gordon Chalmers has also referred to in one of his own articles:-

Title: Observations on detection, excretion and transmission of pigeon circovirus in adult, young and embryonic pigeons

Author(s): Duchatel JP, Todd D, Smyth JA, Bustin JC, Vindevogel H

Source: AVIAN PATHOLOGY 35 (1): 30-34 FEB 2006

Document Type: Article

Abstract: Infections with pigeon circovirus occur in young racing pigeons and pigeons raised for meat production and have been reported worldwide, but relatively little is known about the disease induced by circovirus infection. The aim of this study was to investigate how circovirus is transmitted. The presence of circovirus was investigated in a wide range of samples from adult pigeons, embryos, breeders and young birds, which were derived from a racing loft that had a clinical history of "young pigeon sickness" and in which circovirus had been previously been diagnosed.

Circovirus DNA was detected in tissues of 13 out of 20 apparently healthy older birds, aged from 1 to 9 years. Viral DNA was most commonly detected in the respiratory organs, including the windpipe, ‘voice chamber’ and lung, followed by tissues such as the spleen, kidney and liver. It was also detected in the ovary and / or testes of some birds. This finding, and the detection of viral DNA in tissues from 8 out of  22 embryos, suggested that circovirus may be transmitted to and through the egg. Testing of pharyngeal and cloacal swabs, and blood samples, collected immediately before the death of the adult pigeons, failed to detect all birds found to be infected at necropsy, suggesting that testing of potential breeding birds would not enable exclusion of infected birds from breeding programmes. Additional testing of cloacal swab samples obtained sequentially from 19 young pigeons showed that while four were excreting virus when 15 days old, only one bird was excreting at the time of weaning (28 days old). The detection of viral DNA in cloacal swab samples from 15.8% of the birds when 37 days old and 100% of birds when 51 days old suggested that most young pigeons probably became infected in the rearing loft.

Publisher: TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD, 4 PARK SQUARE, MILTON PARK, ABINGDON OX14 4RN, OXON, ENGLAND

Subject Category: VETERINARY SCIENCES

IDS Number: 012UW

ISSN: 0307-9457

My reading of this is that we should not be breeding from birds that have been affected by YBS. We are merely promoting generations of birds with weakened immune systems.

Guest strapper

i think there needs to be more exploring of possible viruls of this disease.

i regularly read up on diseases of pigeons and remedies using natural plants etc.

although i use medications i think using something natural would be more beneficial in more ways then one..with natural plant extracts in them and the cost of these...next to nothing.

Guest youngzimmy

i tried to explain erlier that with people giving there  birds drugs for this that and the other instead of letting them fight it off tke bird becombes dependent on the drug thus loosing its natural imuni

ty so when somthing particularly nasty comes along it has no natural imunity and strength to fight against it i agree that viruses are a different ball game but is injection the answer as in para virus let the weak  go down and the survivers build an imunity to the virus we heard this by vets on chickens and turkeys jag them once  and you will be jagging for ever yae  ken

i think there needs to be more exploring of possible viruls of this disease.

i regularly read up on diseases of pigeons and remedies using natural plants etc.

although i use medications i think using something natural would be more beneficial in more ways then one..with natural plant extracts in them and the cost of these...next to nothing.

99% of medicines are from natural sources strapper, even anti-biotics are based on plant extracts like penecillin being fungal etc.   the offending virus for YBs has been discovered hence the anti-biotic working (for now) what we need now is to discover exactly HOW the host gets triggered and we can create an innoculation but seeing its primarily stress triggered its going to be a toughy because it will be a chemical triggered or released by the brain which is always a tough one to work on.  stress is a natural instinct all life forms needs to survive and the problem is going to be beating the stress without doping the birds to the level that affects the flying.