Highly Coloured Pigeons

Walter swanston

I have lost two pigeons in two days to the ever increasing number of peregrines around here.Thefirst was a red hen which was a srtay from Prague and the other a particularly attractive white grizzle.Both of those birds could easily be picked out in flight because of their flashy colouring which gives further proof to my experience over the years that darker birds have a better chance of surviving those predators.

I have lost two pigeons in two days to the ever increasing number of peregrines around here.Thefirst was a red hen which was a srtay from Prague and the other a particularly attractive white grizzle.Both of those birds could easily be picked out in flight because of their flashy colouring which gives further proof to my experience over the years that darker birds have a better chance of surviving those predators.

Wallreri I had a loft of Reds and mealy

won out of turn years ago but there all gone now mate think there sitting ducks / pigeons jmo mate .

Thank *expletive removed* all my birds are blues

Won't make any difference. Also read they pick out the odd ones. Apparently they go for minority groups. If yours are all blue, then no minority groups or reds, I'm afraid they'll just have to take what they get. :D

I have a number of whites, grizzle and reds and it's always the blues or dark cheqs that disappear. I think they lock onto the colour that stands out against the rest.. So if you had 20 white birds and 5 dark birds the dark birds are more at risk and vice versa. As same coloured birds appear to move as one and it's harder to single out a target.

Yes peregrines having a field day Walter

I had youngster's down road when home gave them bath and let old birds out with them

They got scattered few times

When called them in

The only red I own a yearling cock

He's missing 🙈

Two of my oldest racers are reds. They've been over the water many times. One of my best racing hens is a white. I don't think it matters what colour they are, BOP can see a dark ch from miles away just as it can see a bright coloured one. Get rid of the problem or you can say bye bye to the game.

I think it does make difference what colour I had 14 reds at start of season only have 2 left but think it makes sense that if your batch is mostly reds a dark one will stand out .

Look at national results how many reds or mealys not a lot but look at results 20 year ago loads were red or mealy but Del is correct if we don't do something soon we are finished ,

I trained 10 today single up from East Lothian and my best bird for gold cup got home but her mate didn't!

I think it does make difference what colour I had 14 reds at start of season only have 2 left but think it makes sense that if your batch is mostly reds a dark one will stand out .

Look at national results how many reds or mealys not a lot but look at results 20 year ago loads were red or mealy but Del is correct if we don't do something soon we are finished ,

I trained 10 today single up from East Lothian and my best bird for gold cup got home but her mate didn't!

Law of averages Colin, if 5000 birds in a race and Only 250 are reds then 20 to 1 chance the winner will be a blue colored pigeon, even less chance of a grizzle winning, back in the old days there were a lot more reds raced hence more red/mealy national winners.

Ive got aloft full reds and mealies, I’ve had 10 training tosses with 35 young birds, been hit once with Percy, they eventually all made it home, one with only one tail feather and one with all it secondaries ripped out of one wing, both were dark Chequers , makes you think.

A number of years ago I had 21 blue bar old birds in race team . Fir whatever reason I’ve more or less got chequers darks blues and light ones , very few blues , an odd grizzle and , I’ve lost dark cheqs light cheqs blues, pieds doesn’t seem to matter what colour they are , my problem is if a bird catches the eye like burning up the sky coming into form keen on nest whatever that’s when I can say bye bye . Maybe the hawks can see what I’m seeing a bird that stands out . Regardless of colours .