Creosote

BIGPETE

Creosote, love it or hate it?

Hear a lot of old time flyers proclaiming its benefits. Many a loft report mentions either using it to paint the loft or having bowls of it around or under the loft to deter vermin.

A top fed man near me swears by lashing it under the loft in the mud/ground to deter vermin. Hear a lot of the old school soaking beer mats in it for under nest bowls.. Fallacy/myth or is it the real deal?

Creosote, love it or hate it?

Hear a lot of old time flyers proclaiming its benefits. Many a loft report mentions either using it to paint the loft or having bowls of it around or under the loft to deter vermin.

A top fed man near me swears by lashing it under the loft in the mud/ground to deter vermin. Hear a lot of the old school soaking beer mats in it for under nest bowls.. Fallacy/myth or is it the real deal?

Been used at our small holding since the 1930s on hen huts and dookits by my grandfather and father and I use it also. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Proper creosote is the best wood preservative available .I served my apprenticeship in the Scottish Tar Distillers where they made the stuff.Its made from coal tar latterly obtained from the coke ovens of steel works.at the very end of the fractionating process the heavy end was boiled and it split off creosote and pitch for road tar.Carbolic acid the old style jeyes fluid was derived from the same base.Proper creosote has naptha crystals in it a substance which used to be used in moth balls and kills insect life which is why beer mats soaked in creosote were put under nest bowls.Proper coal tar stuff can be obtained from agricultural merchants.As far as being a carcinogen goes you would probably need to drink it or paint it on your skin . There were guys in the tar works for 40 and 50 years it was no worse than any other chemical plant. There were never any cats in the tar works sooner or later they had tar on their feet and when they licked them the phenol content killed them.

Proper creosote is the best wood preservative available .I served my apprenticeship in the Scottish Tar Distillers where they made the stuff.Its made from coal tar latterly obtained from the coke ovens of steel works.at the very end of the fractionating process the heavy end was boiled and it split off creosote and pitch for road tar.Carbolic acid the old style jeyes fluid was derived from the same base.Proper creosote has naptha crystals in it a substance which used to be used in moth balls and kills insect life which is why beer mats soaked in creosote were put under nest bowls.Proper coal tar stuff can be obtained from agricultural merchants.As far as being a carcinogen goes you would probably need to drink it or paint it on your skin . There were guys in the tar works for 40 and 50 years it was no worse than any other chemical plant. There were never any cats in the tar works sooner or later they had tar on their feet and when they licked them the phenol content killed them.

Fascinating to read, and especially the foot licking bit.

Pour it into a plastic tray and leave it under your shed and you will never. Need the pied piper this stuff gets them moving house as soon as you open the lid agitate the skin every 3 months, no mice no rats and then no cats.

you can buy the old/original gear if your a farmer or countryman/professional apparently. the new mickey mouse gear from the shops is called, creoseal.

Don't know how good the New one is! Many conflicting stories.

But get a farmer to order, or get you some. Can't go wrong.

Was a Farmer, very good flyer. Had open loft in the field. He. or maybe a farm labourer lol. clean out big time every 2 years. Had the birds out and placed else where. Put back 2 -3 weeks after when certain it was dry … didn't hurt the birds none if they did get some on the feathers though. Loft was always good. Dry and birds always tip top!

Very good read red dog, I get mine from the local farmers Agricultural Co-Op. :)