Pigeon Racing Into Scotland

Guest mambo

Big numbers help and if any birds dropped to Aberdeen like a stray then it's ok for me to collect them but it's up to our clubs if they agree to put all the north of Scotland to put birds in with other Feds, the more birds flying together the less of the losses cos they follow each other until there's a loft of theirs. But that's people's opinions as I'm still a beginner.

guys what needs to be done is one week after all racing is over every fed in scotland ask each member to donate one or two birds from there race team a tenner from each fed to help with fuel costs and the birds taken a 300 mile dummy run and the only pigeons in the sky all birds must be out the race team no old stock birds to hold them back so birds are homing on every route into scotland a good size trailer would do the job if no one else will do it i will take them in my large transit van we could sort out pick up points if fanciers south of the borders would like to help all the better

Sorry for this but 1 or 2 birds from every member in Scotland hardly adds up to safety in numbers Walter. I thought that's what Danny was aiming at with his post.

Think we've all agreed that racing east west from the south is murder for the birds what's the panels thought on changing the route altogether and racing from the north east or west ok still bops up there but at least they won't know what race day is

I also wonder how the Ayrshire boys do racing east to west every week big or small losses ect

no steven i mean a dummy run m8

Yes Walter, that is what is needed you have to make sacrifices in this game, and a warning given hear no evil see no evil, and speak no evil or your legs will be broken

Think we've all agreed that racing east west from the south is murder for the birds what's the panels thought on changing the route altogether and racing from the north east or west ok still bops up there but at least they won't know what race day is

I also wonder how the Ayrshire boys do racing east to west every week big or small losses ect

First race 504, 2nd 585, 3rd 690, 4th 593, 5th 445, 6th 287, traditional race where a lot stop sending. 7th cancelled, 8th 361, 9th meant to replace cancelled race, but ended as a comeback race, 149, 10th meant to replace cancelled race, but again had to comeback, 111

Frst race 485, 2nd 560, 3rd 518, 4th 485, 5th 304 traditional race where a lot stop sending. 6th race comeback 303, 7th traditional race point where they stop sending, 236, 8th the same as the one cancelled 2016 but after a blank week, 181

Our numbers usually hold well up to Portlethen, but they drop for that race and don't recover after that. 2017 Fraserburgh, the cancelled 2016 race, 181 sent which is the highest I can remember, but this was after a blank week. We do have losses and also some erratic races where returns at clocks could be 13/15 and 1/15, but they usually work back in fairly well. :)

Edited by Kyleakin Lofts

I would like to think that after one two races things would work out the first few races no doubt birds would go down for a look then go on their way and as opposed to fly back and forth east to west etc the birds would race from front of fed to the back as Aberdeen would be the settler and make them think now what ,then hopefully the training they have had on line of flight would kick in ,look i maybe wrong but any thing is worth a thought ,shared costs on travel another thing .

Still don't see why being with abdn would help our birds or vice versa,surely object of a race is to test them

I would like to think that after one two races things would work out the first few races no doubt birds would go down for a look then go on their way and as opposed to fly back and forth east to west etc the birds would race from front of fed to the back as Aberdeen would be the settler and make them think now what ,then hopefully the training they have had on line of flight would kick in ,look i maybe wrong but any thing is worth a thought ,shared costs on travel another thing .

we should be going together at every race if only to save costs

That's another argument that makes too much sense :blush:

as u well know there was a Grampian comb but members in our fed and Aberdeen fed done all they could to break it up pigeon men their own worst enemy too many want to stay stagnate instead of trying change if change don't come the sport is doomed

It's hard to gauge this with Ayrshire fed flying south, this year with the youngsters the top end of the fed most have ha decent returns however the south side of the fed is getting around 50% returns most weeks it's like two different races at the moment, that's certainly looking at the reports from our club most weeks anyway, personally for myself we started the old bird season with training 24 ended season with 6 2 off didn't race, young birds I started training 28, I have 16 in the loft at the moment with only 2 races done,

The terrain in Scotland is rugged with birds having to contend with hills full of wind turbines which funnels the birds lower to keep out of the wind like sheep up the valleys thus into the hawk hunting ranges plus we are now faced with a dramatic change in the climate possibly due to the jet stream having changed its direction causing us to see seasonal changes in the weather in the past we had 4 different seasons in a year but now it seems summer does not exist this has been noticed over the last 10 years when you had possibly 2 hold overs during the programme then to countless hold overs,cancelled races and race point changes now in fact it is almost impossible to stick to a set routine with your race team plus when your programme is set to cater for to coincide with national races it gives very little scope to allow for the weather, I think pigeon racing needs to change drastically in order to keep the sport going it needs to see common sense prevail by possibly catering for both sets of fanciers by having sprint racing clubs and distance racing clubs for the national minded men this is the way the sport has been done in Europe, in my opinion wether it is 80 miles or 500 miles a race is a race, in fact many times returns from an 80 mile race can be as erratic as a channel race and many good experienced birds have failed to return not all will fall victims to hawks, I think in order to give your birds a chance and keep members in the sport then you need to have an alternative i.e. a programme with short races from points that have given reasonable races in the past and stick to those points that way fanciers will send if they can keep hold of there birds it will also stop many fanciers from leaving the sport.

Still don't see why being with abdn would help our birds or vice versa,surely object of a race is to test them

I think no as regards young ,its not to test them its to educate them ,its the fanciers of today have turned it into a must have race attitude

I think no as regards young ,its not to test them its to educate them ,its the fanciers of today have turned it into a must have race attitude

I only keep pigeons to race them,most are not up to the job and if we don't test them and make them think then it ain't a race imo

I only keep pigeons to race them,most are not up to the job and if we don't test them and make them think then it ain't a race imo

And you are right,that is what it is all about at the end of the day everyone has their own ideas and opinions and this is the perfect place to air them .

I can have ybs reay to train before the first old bird race no problem so going to try next year get them to dunbar once a week thru the old birds season maybe May to end of June then not yb race put by for old birds...I do honestly believe young bird racing is goosed as it stands...

I can have ybs reay to train before the first old bird race no problem so going to try next year get them to dunbar once a week thru the old birds season maybe May to end of June then not yb race put by for old birds...I do honestly believe young bird racing is goosed as it stands...

Geo once Feds get down to about 250 miles there's plenty transport lying about gathering dust there could be young bird races / tosses on the same day and stop before the Percy young come out to hunt .