Pro's And Cons Of Pairing Up Early

mcrobs

While most of the posts concentrate on the affect of pairing early on the OB's moult, none have mentioned that you are breeding bang in the middle of the Scottish winter with minimum daylight hours, poor quality light, minimum sunshine, and in most years extreme cold. I remember once pairing up on January 1st (and once was enough to tell me never to do it again) and seeing the OBs come off the nest during February nights when there was a hard frost on the ground. One pair of youngsters left uncovered had not one feather that didn't have fret marks - no exaggeration there.

Last few years I have paired up in mid-March but that has its drawbacks too. I intend going back to Mid-February, reckon the longer daylight hours fits in with a more natural breeding cycle. If you breed 2 rounds natural, 1st should carry you through most of YB program (moult-permitting) while 2nd round should see you through from the middle to end.

I think breeding early requires the use of lights to ensure the parents are able to feed the youngsters. If they do not have long enough light time then the youngsters do not receive enough feeding and this could be the cause of the fretted feathers, this not discounting the matter of heat. I think yearlings are more prone to lifting from the nest. Some use both heat and light, I believe. :)

Allan, it appears that if you pair early, but prevent them from sitting the second round for more than 10 days, then the moult will not start. This is only important for your racers, it doesn't matter with stock. At that time of year they usually lay the 2nd round eggs when the YB's are around 3 weeks old. A lot split them then, or just prior to laying the 2nd round eggs and leave a YB with each parent. If you then re-pair around race time to have them the way you want them for the particular races, they should hold their wing. :)

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong Robert, that's why I checked. :)

I lchecked the SHU constitution at 03:00 this morning and found no mention of any date. I'll check again later as I think it's rather fluid as is.

Youngsters bred from parents mated in early December are starting to fly when Percy is most active before going to nest.

You will lose quite a few during February/ March.

This is the main reason I would never pair pigeons up in December, it's bad enough letting old birds out in March, let alone youngsters. The peregrine / hen sparrowhawk, would have a feast.

This is the main reason I would never pair pigeons up in December, it's bad enough letting old birds out in March, let alone youngsters. The peregrine / hen sparrowhawk, would have a feast.

I mated a few stock pigeons early this year in order to send a team of 3 to a single loft race. I bred 15 to select 3. the remainder were allowed to exercise freely. Before I realised what was happening 6 of those I retained had vaporised.

Robert, I couldn't see anything in the Constitution regarding the Issue of Life Rings, except that Secretaries must keep and register a record of to whom they have been issued. :)

I see nothing either which appears to leave the situation open to interpretation by individual secretaries.

I mated a few stock pigeons early this year in order to send a team of 3 to a single loft race. I bred 15 to select 3. the remainder were allowed to exercise freely. Before I realised what was happening 6 of those I retained had vaporised.

I see nothing either which appears to leave the situation open to interpretation by individual secretaries.

Federation secretaries are instructed not to issue rings before 1st January

Being auld and living in the past I have tried pairing early and late, Pairing early means you have extra beaks to feed for no apparent reason, Pairing late means you are rearing and racing at the same time and cannot be done..

All the auld timers used to pair up on St Valentines Day 14th February and we ken best..