peter pandy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best birds, Super birds, Never had any.

What I did have were memorable birds and TEAM performances down through the years.

The earliest memorable bird was a Mealy hen and funnily enough I was talking about her to-day, She won in the show pen and quite a lot of pools in the club with her best performance beng 3rd Bournmouth winning Nom and Accumulator in 1963.

The big Blue Pied Cock is another bird who scored in every race he went to which was every week competing against 300-500 birds and his most memorable performance was out of the Usher Vaux Beauvais with the Up North Combine when I clocked him to be First in the Combine beating Jock Turner of Bonnybridge 2 miles West of me by just over 2 Hours and he was 1st West Section. I suppose in this day and age he would have been classed as a Super Pigeon.

Another was the Blue Pied hen which as a yearling won 2nd Fed Cheltenham 300 miles and went on to win 2nd Fed 5th SCC Yearling Derby Cheltenham and a pile of cash.

My Blue Cock which had previously won in the Fed as a yearling was 1st Fed 15th East Sec 25th Open Avranches (1) SNFC was the best bird in the race according to Eddie Newcombe and he won the race 5000+ Birds.

Chequer hen scored twice in the Fed and won 14th Open Nantes SNFC.

Dark Cheq hen was 34th Open Nantes SNFC.

Red Cock 4th and 6th Fed Open Stafford 230 miles 196th Open Rennes SNFC 43rd Open Nantes SNFC. Now he was pretty exceptional as he only raced to a 14 day youngster.

Team Performance 1980 When I was crowned Federation Champion All Races and I could have gladly gave the birds up as that was my ambition and my enthusiasm therafter took a back seat.

Aye Del, Their were no regions in my day and I had to compete against the South East 60 miles away and had 15 miles overfly. You just had to get on with it, There were even more memorable birds I just got fed up writing about them all especially the ones that wintered out after losing them as youngsters who went on and done the business. Perhaps will give them a mention at another time..

One of the tricks I used to get up too was The Guinea Fowl One.

I would set a 2 pair down so the eggs would be hatching on basketing day and when they were chipping I would visit this hatchery and get chipping Guinea Fowl eggs and substitute the hatching eggs with them. When they hatched the young G/F would start running about the nest box and the Hen which was locked in beside them would chase them to sit on them which they would not let her do. She would be left with them untill 2 hours prior to basketing then I would replace her own hatched chicks which had been with another pair back and she would sit that tight, you needed a crowbar to get her off them. Won quite a bit with that little trick and the dog had the Guinea fowl for her dinner.

Off to the Jubilee to-day to enquire about remedial surgery as my knee replacement has not been as successful as I, and they, have expected. So the birds can have a day in. The wind is Baltic here in the Metropolis. Wish I had taken Tiger's offer up now..

its 2 am here mate and your mrs would not allow you ? mind the phone call that she put you straight :emoticon-0136-giggle:

CHEESE.. is what you are asked to do when having your photo taken however when saying cheese to pigeon fanciers it only conjures up another little tit bit for the birds.

I used to have all my feeding from Eddie Newcombe and when he departed to the sunny climes of Malta the peanuts he supplied dried up. The excuse for a peanut you can buy from supermarkets or health food shops were nothing like Eddie supplied and I started looking for an alternative which happened to be cheese. After all its not only very high in Protein and Fats but also Vitamins and Minerals including Amino Acids etc. Cheddar was what I survived on slapped between two slices of bread and I could work all day on that. Its only the Health freaks that have decided its not good for you. Any way I digress, Take a lump of Cheddar into the loft and break a small piece off, rolling it into a ball the size of a Pea and flick them about the loft. Once they have the taste they will chase each other to get to the cheese first and you will have friends for life. There is another way to make sure all the birds especially the slow runners get their share, is, to get hold off the wife's food mixer and put in 1kg of whatever you feed them on and drop in a match box size of Cheddar and let it mix for half an hour. The feed will become coated with all the cheese and appear a lovely deep colour with a nice smell. Twice a week I do this and they will clean up the feed in half the normal time and peck your boots for more. Its also cleaning up the fridge of hard cheese so the Mrs thanks me. Oh Before I forget if your cheese has green mould on it ?. Just scrape it off.

CHEESE.. is what you are asked to do when having your photo taken however when saying cheese to pigeon fanciers it only conjures up another little tit bit for the birds.

I used to have all my feeding from Eddie Newcombe and when he departed to the sunny climes of Malta the peanuts he supplied dried up. The excuse for a peanut you can buy from supermarkets or health food shops were nothing like Eddie supplied and I started looking for an alternative which happened to be cheese. After all its not only very high in Protein and Fats but also Vitamins and Minerals including Amino Acids etc. Cheddar was what I survived on slapped between two slices of bread and I could work all day on that. Its only the Health freaks that have decided its not good for you. Any way I digress, Take a lump of Cheddar into the loft and break a small piece off, rolling it into a ball the size of a Pea and flick them about the loft. Once they have the taste they will chase each other to get to the cheese first and you will have friends for life. There is another way to make sure all the birds especially the slow runners get their share, is, to get hold off the wife's food mixer and put in 1kg of whatever you feed them on and drop in a match box size of Cheddar and let it mix for half an hour. The feed will become coated with all the cheese and appear a lovely deep colour with a nice smell. Twice a week I do this and they will clean up the feed in half the normal time and peck your boots for more. Its also cleaning up the fridge of hard cheese so the Mrs thanks me. Oh Before I forget if your cheese has green mould on it ?. Just scrape it off.

half the site are currently "Googling" information to select the best cheese possible , the other half are considering wether you are a NUT or not :emoticon-0136-giggle:

half the site are currently "Googling" information to select the best cheese possible , the other half are considering wether you are a NUT or not :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Tried the soft cheese like Brie but it turned messy and I prefer to eat he Brie on a sandwich "Home made Bread" with Ham or Garlic sausage and a glass or two of Red wine. My own brew of course. <_< <_<

Peter, do you still feed your pigeons bread?

The reason I ask is that I don't think many use these old methods, but now we have very few pigeons able to "work home". Could it be because they don't know how to survive? Very few use open hole or feed bread, etc. The old ways are going and so are the pigeons. :)

Tried the soft cheese like Brie but it turned messy and I prefer to eat he Brie on a sandwich "Home made Bread" with Ham or Garlic sausage and a glass or two of Red wine. My own brew of course. <_>

that was my first choice , yet , like you ,prefer it myself . my young Son Jackson and I enjoy a "President brie" for lunch on a Tuesday :emoticon-0123-party:

Peter, do you still feed your pigeons bread?

The reason I ask is that I don't think many use these old methods, but now we have very few pigeons able to "work home". Could it be because they don't know how to survive? Very few use open hole or feed bread, etc. The old ways are going and so are the pigeons. :)

My birds have eaten bread for over 40 years usually brown but they like white equally. :partick-thistle-Crest:

Do you give them rice?

Sorry Stevie, Nope, and I dont know why other than I always came to the conclusion that it would swell up in the crop and perhaps make them uncomfortable resulting in them throwing up and inmates eating it the next morning,

Perhaps I am being a little paranoid but then again maybe not.

Sorry Stevie, Nope, and I dont know why other than I always came to the conclusion that it would swell up in the crop and perhaps make them uncomfortable resulting in them throwing up and inmates eating it the next morning,

Perhaps I am being a little paranoid but then again maybe not.

We use it loads in trapping mix. Retention of water in crop after a race/exercise is what we THINK we are helping with dehydration in mind........maybe our thoughts are nonsense......but it's not killed them ....yet lol

We use it loads in trapping mix. Retention of water in crop after a race/exercise is what we THINK we are helping with dehydration in mind........maybe our thoughts are nonsense......but it's not killed them ....yet lol

My uncle Donald gave the newly hatched chicks via there parents rice 50 odd years ago

Good for birds going to races in hot weather to hold water

My Irish friends give theirs Paddy Rice