Time To Change

Walter swanston

I have just read an article on this week's Racing Pigeon where the author addresses the serious problem of falling membership in pigeon organisations and lays the blame partially on young bird losses.I is proposed that young bird races should be replaced by yearling races where the pigeons might be deemed to have more sense with maturity,how about no rings until 1st April?Obviously a lot to think about..Probably a step too far for most, what do site members think?I certainly know of well known and successful fanciers who do not race young birds.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falling membership numbers is because young people are not interested in an old fashioned sport which isn’t moving forward because no one wants too apart from a few that get bullied into silence, couple that with arguing in the clubs between long term members who keep new and old members away, who in turn are at the age group where you’re sure to be visiting the local crem at least four time a year per club.

I give it Ten years and Home loft racing is History.

Paul.

Falling membership has nothing to do with young bird losses everyone can choose whether or not to race or not ;) Perhaps falling membership is because it's a sport mainly of retired old men , kids have computers no need to make a big commitment to them , then the other type of birds come ;)

I have just read an article on this week's Racing Pigeon where the author addresses the serious problem of falling membership in pigeon organisations and lays the blame partially on young bird losses.I is proposed that young bird races should be replaced by yearling races where the pigeons might be deemed to have more sense with maturity,how about no rings until 1st April?Obviously a lot to think about..Probably a step too far for most, what do site members think?I certainly know of well known and successful fanciers who do not race young birds.

I understand your view Walter , yet honestly feel if a compulsory lapse in rearing and racing youngsters ,the majority would be un-happy with it . the season is short in comparison to the amount of effort and time we look after them anyway .

A few years ago there was a book being read in primary schools called Geordie Racer. A young boy and his racing pigeons! The local school asked me to give a talk on racing pigeons. I took birds along and the kids were fascinated as well as the staff. A small tv series of programmes will work wonders but first,

ALL clubs feds and regions must get together and work as one. A big ask but the alternative has already been stated

Another issue I find is in a club you will always have a hard core of really good fanciers who wipe the board with the rest of the members who pick up the scraps each year, me being one of them it is very difficult to keep interested and not being able to compete is frustrating, at the end of the day new members are up against it from the start and from my experience we do not get the knowledge transfer or help needed to take it seriously unless of course you have a best friend or family member to show the ropes, there are too many members telling you lots but with no substance at all. I also witness a lot of nasty competitiveness and not healthy FRIENDLY competitiveness.

An idea could be to have leagues to grade flyers, I dont know really but ideas are needed defo.

Paul.

A few years ago there was a book being read in primary schools called Geordie Racer. A young boy and his racing pigeons! The local school asked me to give a talk on racing pigeons. I took birds along and the kids were fascinated as well as the staff. A small tv series of programmes will work wonders but first,

ALL clubs feds and regions must get together and work as one. A big ask but the alternative has already been stated

Good post!!!

Where are our leaders on this?

This is one direction the Unions should be pursuing, but even they fall out like little kids and are unable to unite for the good of the sport.

because we are 50 years behind the times as regards trying to advertise the sport also meetings in peoples kitchens before the club meetings to try pi ss off the best flyers in there club to push them out or find a way to get rid of them its gone beyond a joke

YOU DRUNK, :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

because we are 50 years behind the times as regards trying to advertise the sport also meetings in peoples kitchens before the club meetings to try pi ss off the best flyers in there club to push them out or find a way to get rid of them its gone beyond a joke

I’ve attended some of the Fed meetings and the way the committee get spoken to is a disgrace, Volunteers getting abused for the love of it is criminal.

Paul

Go on the web site for the Tenerife one loft race that Wuldone etc race in. See how that race is marketed with their presentation including music and background statements. Compare your experience on a weekly basis during the season and see how far behind wee all are. WE have the greatest hobby sport in OUR possesion and we are flushing it down the toilet

Agree with your post,I have in the past also gave talk's to schools which was received very well but sadly that's as far as it gets ,have lived at my present address for coming on 14 years now and not one youngster has even asked about the birds ,Agree also all unions Feds need to pull as one ,As for YB racing I feel we push them to far now in the present climate if we had a limited mileage programme we could cut down on numbers reared Omho .

I have just come back to this game and yes ,63 disabled with bad health but i took the birds back to keep me sane and what i have found as regards premotion of our hobby has not improved in the 10 years that i have been away your ordinary lad on the street knows nothing as regards what goes on in fact a lot of them think they fly to the race point ,they dont know the orginisation that is going on week in week out,so what i say is lobby papers ,magazines get the media on our side, oh and let new members in for nothing pay their fees,and dont throw them out if they start winning.And by the way i will be racing 2year old and yearlings trained but never raced so i will report back on doing away with young bird racing but i have a feeling that it will be :crying: :crying: