Gutted

Guest darren cantrill

Very interesting Mick, tell us more about registering with them. Pro's & Con's ?

John

not sure how i ended up getting registered, think it was at the height of the bird flu scare over here and was a requirement from the NIPA to have a DARD register number.

Since that they send me out a form every year to register the number of birds i house over the winter and expected max amount to be kept at any one given time.

I dont know what the pros and cons of this would be. But because you are a registered bird keeper, you and your family who are in close contact with birds are entitled to free flu jabs from your doctor. It was a pro-active plan to try and stop the spread of bird flu to humans.

atb

Mick

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2007 I had my flu jab and a couple of weeks later I caught Guillain Barre syndrome landed up in hospital with my whole nervous system shutting down it seems that GB got in on the back of the flu jab so goodness knows what gets in on the back of the pmv jab I still have to take medication to suppress my immune system and had to go into hospital to get further treatment now have been told cannot have it any more as it affected my kidneys. 2007 was the last time i had the flu jab

How Vaccines Work - A slideshow animation showing what happens after an attenuated vaccination (same type as our Colombovac and Nobilis PMV ones).

http://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/how-vaccines-work

Skip the last bit, no need to do the exercise.

How the devil did we manoeuvre from PMV to Flu jabs ?? THE HISTORY OF VACCINES which Ian has put up should be read and re-read by all as its certainly opened my eyes and Ian should be applauded for it.

:emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Guest chad3646

How can a DEAD vaccine (only dead PMV vaccines are approved in this country for pigeons) give birds a live virus ( answer - it cannot) something else is happening (but it is not the vaccine causing it)

100 percent correct , a dead vaccine cannot give p m v as a dead flu jag cannot give you the flu,

Guest darren cantrill

update; there has been 7 deaths all yearlings that had not been vaccinated since last year oct 2012 every vaccinated pigeon in the section that I have the problem has some form of symptom of my 4 racing old birds 2 are off there feet completely 2 seem to have begun to recover I vaccinated b4 the start of the old bird racing season and vaccinated my young birds in may when I thought I had a problem I revaccinated in august and kept my youngsters at home for 14days ive been in touch with everybody I need to get in touch with and have warned all previous visitors to my lofts the mistakes I made were as follows: I used an already opened vaccine I didn't vaccinate all my birds I didn't make sure that I was free of the virus in the first place I reached straight for the needle and only vaccinated my young racers last time round ive learnt a big lesson I made some horrific mistakes the pens are a horrendous sight it takes hours cleaning and stripping down blowtorching and virkon etc etc my little grizzle hen and my saintes hen are both off there feet but fighting im hand feeding and watering every few hours even set the alarm for 3am I go in with absolute dread its horrendous please please please don't make the mistakes I have made thanku for the comments I can tell by some of the responses that a lot of you understand the mistakes I have made but I have listened and I have learned the young birds have definitely contracted the virus but are fighting it off so far remarkably well only the pigeons I didn't vaccinate or were to the end of the 12mths are suffering I can see from my pen that vaccinated birds do catch the virus but are more able to fight it off but it also means that for a few weeks my birds must of been carriers and I now have an idea where it came from what to look for in future the first signs are peculiar behaviour lack of form lower appetite and the most horrendous droppings you have ever seen shaking weird preening fits droopy head walking backwards but what really took my notice dropping off perches lack of balance and flipping round in circles

Guest darren cantrill

hope all goes well for you from now on . thank you for such an honest post ,I hope it helps others in the future.

thanx its been an eye opener ive had some terrific help and correct me if im wrong but this is not preventable what is preventable is the manor in which it infects the birds and the severity of the illness and the quickness in which the vaccinated birds respond to exposure to the virus I understand now why I need to vaccinate all birds at the same time make sure that they are not exposed to the virus in this period by keeping them in for 14days at least its not curable the vaccinated birds are showing symptoms but up till now are fighting it off with vigour still have very wet droppings and drop in appetite for a few days but what im watching for now are secondry infections especially cocci and canker because of the wet droppings the first sign is a dropping that is wet in nature clear watery dropping with a single worm like faeces in the middle its the amount of water with the single wiggly worm like (pooh) that draws it to your attention ive had the watery part of the dropping as big as a dinner plate with a tiny squiggle of a faeces in the middle that was my first sign the mess now is horrendous it splashes off the 5in 1 perches and is pooled water dripping down the back of the pen in the morning puddles of the water on the floor the squiggly worm like bit is left on the tray normally that kind of (pooh was my first sign

darren put natural yougurt on the feed it seems to help them m8 as it goes straight to the gut and will help with the dropings good luck would not wish it on anyone we all make mistakes pal if you send me a sae ill send you some stuff that will stop the wet dropings pm me for my add it will allso stop it spreading m8

after all settles down it will take another little while some birds may never recover fully may have strained necks etc but these should be ok to breed from and will be all the better from it the ones that can drink and eat will survive you will get some that will pick about a foot away from the corn or try to drink from a drinker that is a foot away these ones usually dont

your next test hopefully will just be canker as the there system is knackered they could pick anything up hopefully noting to serious

canker will come on stronger than anything you have seen before and comes on so fast its unreal so have something like ronizole at the ready is a good idea

my advice after that that would be something like Primalac which is avian pro biotic

Electrolytes can also help

all the best with it

Guest darren cantrill

thanx to all who have offered help and advice grately appreciated and ive been intouch with walter im so grateful walter thanku now to the birds theres been no change apart from ive noticed the odd symptom turning up in the other sections im tired but I wont give in these birds gave me their all and when I asked they give now they are asking I will give the best that I can give the one section looks like a mobile medical centre im feeding lightly 1oz each as some have begun to moult again im putting gethepax on the corn and in the water to try and help the gut flora im ready with a treatment for cocci and a canker treatment just in case ive treated my little grizzle hen with a canker treatment but she now has a dry brown wattle and respiratory infection is on her if she survives till 2morrow im going to single treat her with a respiratory treatment its been 7 days now since she went off her feet I bath her every day to clear the crap from her underneath I hand feed her and take her to the drinker 5 times a day and get up at 3am to put all ill pigeons heads in the drinker that are poorly shes fighting im amazed at the battle she has put up she physically propels herself with her wings like butterfly stroke pushing her wings against the floor to get to the place she wants to be there is some movement coming back in her legs she has begun to grip my finger and I move both up and down gently wasting my time maybe I am but its mine to give and if she and the others are willing to fight then im willing to give my time to try and help I made many mistakes in my time racing pigeons this has been the hardest mistake remember big watery poohs clear liquid like water with a squiggly single strand worm like pooh in the middle and the clear watery fluid bit can be as big a damp patch as a dinner plate best wishes every1 and thanx again for the help and advice

Guest darren cantrill

respiratory infection i havent seen before with pmv

have you vaccinated your birds since they got the infection

that's y I have held off giving the respiratory medicine I will give you the clinical symptoms see what you think dull eyes rasping breathing (rattles) snotty nose dirty dark stained wattles coryza springs to mind and I was warned to expect any kind of secondry infection are you absolutely certain that respiratory infection doesn't come with pmv or is this just in your circumstances as I know for sure its pmv that my pigeons have and im of the opinion that the clinical signs my grizzle hen is showing are respiratory but that is only my opinion she has pmv for sure and is now showing signs for respiratory could it be canker related cocci related and im interpretating the symptoms wrong on the secondry infection I don't know ???? if she hadn't got pmv id deffo treat for respiratory

Guest darren cantrill

that's y I have held off giving the respiratory medicine I will give you the clinical symptoms see what you think dull eyes rasping breathing (rattles) snotty nose dirty dark stained wattles coryza springs to mind and I was warned to expect any kind of secondry infection are you absolutely certain that respiratory infection doesn't come with pmv or is this just in your circumstances as I know for sure its pmv that my pigeons have and im of the opinion that the clinical signs my grizzle hen is showing are respiratory but that is only my opinion she has pmv for sure and is now showing signs for respiratory could it be canker related cocci related and im interpretating the symptoms wrong on the secondry infection I don't know ???? if she hadn't got pmv id deffo treat for respiratory

and the two birds who are recovering have not been revaccinated since b4 old bird racing 2013 the 2 who are struggling (the worse 2) I revaccinated last Monday but its something I wouldn't do again every pigeon in my pen will be vaccinated in future all at the same time and will make sure they are kept in for 14days b4 and 14days after and any vaccine I don't use on day of vaccination will be thrown away ive just wasted a whole new bottle by vaccinating a few pigeons some have recovered some haven't the recovery rate in both vaccinated and unvaccinated is the same but I vaccinated the two hens with a vaccine I opened in august

Guest darren cantrill

darren reading this sounds like you have samonella or e coli infection to m8 the stuff im sending will cure that m8 keep me posted how it goes good luck dont let it beat you chin up

thanks walter any help is gratefully received and I so respect the fact you have taken time out to help and to everybody that's why this forum is the best people willing to help ive always been honest with my pigeons I try hard work them hard I expect them to hold up there end of the bargain but I wont walk away when I get it wrong ill put my hand up admit ive made a mistake and try to put it right I put it on this forum so people can see and hopefully learn from my mistake and you get people who come and help that's what makes it worth while I was in need of help and its happening thanks to this forum to u all thanku

thats how it goes when you vaccinate birds that have it darren some recover some dont m8 its just your luck but now you have to treat for everything as when there imune system is down due to the parra there being attacked by everything going just now its damage limation now till they get through it

Guest darren cantrill

a big thankyou to walter the stuff has arrived and is in the drinker i must take a couple of minutes to thank walter for the time and effort he has put in to help me thankyou i was fighting a losing battle and the effort was becoming to much but ive been back to full power today lofts disinfected blowtorched etc some medicine in the drinkers and hopefully this week i should begin to see them coming out of it thankyou all and walter you are an absolute star! i wont forget your help if i can ever help you you need only ask

a big thankyou to walter the stuff has arrived and is in the drinker i must take a couple of minutes to thank walter for the time and effort he has put in to help me thankyou i was fighting a losing battle and the effort was becoming to much but ive been back to full power today lofts disinfected blowtorched etc some medicine in the drinkers and hopefully this week i should begin to see them coming out of it thankyou all and walter you are an absolute star! i wont forget your help if i can ever help you you need only ask

your very wellcome darren lets hope it does the job for you m8 its very hard to cure when its gone that far but they will come through it lets hope you dont lose any more good luck and keep me posted walter

• 2 weeks later...

Well i came home with 2 youngsters from the sale on Sunday and had 2 just ready to wean in my stock loft. Vaccinated the 4 Yb's today and all my stock birds, the 4 Yb's i shifted in beside my Yb racing team.

I will be 100% honest with you all when i feed back how they got on.

Reading some posts would suggest my race team should be done again to protect them from the 4 new introductions, i disagree with this but as i say i will let you's know in a couple of weeks if there is any problems in the Yb loft.

Can't remember Ever having a problem putting late breds in with my older Yb's who have been vaccinated when leaving the nest in April/May and i do it every year.

Well i'm a bit late with this feedback but my doos have not looked back since putting the vaccinated late breds in beside them. I took these pics on Monday of this week.

The late bred birds are pictured on the loft floor with the others in the veranda of the loft. The late breds have been out in the garden and had a wee flutter from loft to loft, all are looking very well within themselves. Cheers John.

post-10492-13819633349009_thumb.jpg

post-10492-13819633628291_thumb.jpg

post-10492-13819633908584_thumb.jpg