Snfc 2013

Think straying from Alencon,Ypres and Clermont would just be a change for changes sake??

Too experienced to change for the sake of it Lewis. You had a fantastic race from Alencon and you want the same race point again for your prize winners in 2013.The thing is, is Alencon the better race point for THE WHOLE CONVOY , not just the ones that have scored from it this year???I also got in on the night and got 2/3 sent but the overall race returns were very poor.I would always go for what is best for the majority of the pigeons.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too experienced to change for the sake of it Lewis. You had a fantastic race from Alencon and you want the same race point again for your prize winners in 2013.The thing is, is Alencon the better race point for THE WHOLE CONVOY , not just the ones that have scored from it this year???I also got in on the night and got 2/3 sent but the overall race returns were very poor.I would always go for what is best for the majority of the pigeons.

Got to take into consideration the weather this year and whether it was Reims,Alencon or Liege it was never going to suit the whole convoy or lead to great returns.

I'm not too fussed whether its Alencon or not but would like to see a settled programme for a wee while,this chopping and changing every other year is not the way to go to improve the quality of racing I don't think.

Before Scottish Feds moved to East coast racing all our SNFC race points were designed to bring the birds up the Cherburg peninsular in France with reasonable good returns especially from Avranches and Sartilly which was 515 miles into central Scotland. Rennes which was the magical name in racing came in at 550 miles and Nantes 610.

All the large English National and Continental clubs are still flying those or extremely close to race points which brings me to the gist of this post. DROP INLAND NATIONALS AND GO BACK TO WHERE WE USED TO GO FOR 70 YEARS.

Before Scottish Feds moved to East coast racing all our SNFC race points were designed to bring the birds up the Cherburg peninsular in France with reasonable good returns especially from Avranches and Sartilly which was 515 miles into central Scotland. Rennes which was the magical name in racing came in at 550 miles and Nantes 610.

All the large English National and Continental clubs are still flying those or extremely close to race points which brings me to the gist of this post. DROP INLAND NATIONALS AND GO BACK TO WHERE WE USED TO GO FOR 70 YEARS.

i understand your view Peter ,but in all honesty think it "nostalgic and romantic" i think you could count on one hand the amount of members in each federation who would keep "doos" all year long to achieve 2 distance races .dont think the longer distance pigeons are kept in the majority any more . mores the pity.

i understand your view Peter ,but in all honesty think it "nostalgic and romantic" i think you could count on one hand the amount of members in each federation who would keep "doos" all year long to achieve 2 distance races .dont think the longer distance pigeons are kept in the majority any more . mores the pity.

because they can go to a national twice and not cross the water if they races were not there I personally think more would go across the water to compete in the national.

because they can go to a national twice and not cross the water if they races were not there I personally think more would go across the water to compete in the national.

i disagree , from experience back in Wales ,was hard to find many who would send to the 2 longer races .going past 450 , or 500 miles ,maybe a dozen fanciers turning up ,always one with 12 plus birds and about 10 members with 1,2, or so ,it became pointless . :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Guest Gareth Rankin

If the 2 inland nationals were not there I believe more pigeons would be available for selection to a channel race

Spot on George, the traditional first sartilly race was done away with because it was affecting the entry to the gold cup, within a wean of years a second inland national was put in place the week before the gold cup, in my opinion this inland national race is taking away 1000+ away from the premier race of the year, I.e. the gold cup.

Fanciers want a SNFC ticket, problem is too many want an easy ticket from a inland race instead of a ticket that has been won from a pigeon flying from the continent.

Spot on George, the traditional first sartilly race was done away with because it was affecting the entry to the gold cup, within a wean of years a second inland national was put in place the week before the gold cup, in my opinion this inland national race is taking away 1000+ away from the premier race of the year, I.e. the gold cup.

Fanciers want a SNFC ticket, problem is too many want an easy ticket from a inland race instead of a ticket that has been won from a pigeon flying from the continent.

if this is the case Gareth , why hasnt it come about sooner ? excuse my ignorance .

Guest Gareth Rankin

if this is the case Gareth , why hasnt it come about sooner ? excuse my ignorance .

For some its the financial profit that comes from an inland race compared to a channel race, for others its because they have no faith in their doos that they can't fly 500 miles even though in many cases they have never sent to 500 miles to try.

The inland nationals where suppse to be a stepping stone for club / fed flyers to move up to channel racing. This hasn't happened, all its doing is killing the gold cup. JMO.

For some its the financial profit that comes from an inland race compared to a channel race, for others its because they have no faith in their doos that they can't fly 500 miles even though in many cases they have never sent to 500 miles to try.

The inland nationals where suppse to be a stepping stone for club / fed flyers to move up to channel racing. This hasn't happened, all its doing is killing the gold cup. JMO.

thanks for the reply.

thanks for the reply.

Andy the way inland races was allowed in snfc was the maff banning racing from france due to,ie foot and mouth etc ? And the way the amount of doos are lost at such short distances its the dope junkies that is being transported across the channel common sence ? It is a joke looking at a doo flying 300 miles and calling it a champion send it another 50 miles and its gone OMG WHATS THE SNFC COME TO :emoticon-0138-thinking:

thanks for the reply.

andy i think if they did away with the inland nationals

the membership would be decimated

thus the joining fee would be higher,there would be no profit from the inland races

to help supliment the channel races

how much would it then cost to send a bird to say the gold cup £20????

that in itself will hold the birdage down

a lot of members only join to race these inland races

and have birds capable of flying out to 350 /450ish miles

some of todays breeds just wont fly over these distances

jmo

Andy the way inland races was allowed in snfc was the maff banning racing from france due to,ie foot and mouth etc ? And the way the amount of doos are lost at such short distances its the dope junkies that is being transported across the channel common sence ? It is a joke looking at a doo flying 300 miles and calling it a champion send it another 50 miles and its gone OMG WHATS THE SNFC COME TO :emoticon-0138-thinking:

history i wasnt aware of .

andy i think if they did away with the inland nationals the membership would be decimatedthus the joining fee would be higher,there would be no profit from the inland races to help supliment the channel raceshow much would it then cost to send a bird to say the gold cup £20????that in itself will hold the birdage down a lot of members only join to race these inland racesand have birds capable of flying out to 350 /450ish milessome of todays breeds just wont fly over these distancesjmo

very much a catch 22 situation then :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Never have believed that the inland races kill the Gold Cup. Yes there are birds go down at Newbury or wherever but that is always going to happen even at fed races. I dont believe there are that many fanciers who would send a doo to Eastbourne rather than Alencon if he genuinely though it was a Gold Cup doo. Jim O`Hara hit the nail on the head at an AGM a few years ago when they voted to bring back the June channel race. He said there are only a limited number of channel birds around and the more channel races you have the less entries you will get. If anything is taking Gold Cup entries it is Ypres because it is seen as an easier option and also counts towards a gold award

Never have believed that the inland races kill the Gold Cup. Yes there are birds go down at Newbury or wherever but that is always going to happen even at fed races. I dont believe there are that many fanciers who would send a doo to Eastbourne rather than Alencon if he genuinely though it was a Gold Cup doo. Jim O`Hara hit the nail on the head at an AGM a few years ago when they voted to bring back the June channel race. He said there are only a limited number of channel birds around and the more channel races you have the less entries you will get. If anything is taking Gold Cup entries it is Ypres because it is seen as an easier option and also counts towards a gold award

some good points Jade and like yourself dont think the inland nationals have killed the GOLD CUP race,times have changed and more fanciers want one day racing not waiting all weekend to maybe get a doo or maybe not,(which i do often and will continue to do!!!!!!!)i have commented on this subject many times and think the SNFC have a good programme with races at 300miles,400miles,460miles,530miles,550miles and 630mls to central scotland,in these trying times for every sport not just pigeon racing i think the SNFC offers something for EVERY FANCIER which i believe is key for us to keep testing our birds at national level,ps myself and my father get as much enjoyment timing national birds from 300miles as we do at 630miles. :partick-thistle-Crest: :partick-thistle-Crest:

would have two races in old birds first reims then tours and perterbugh for ybs

but would you go john?????? ;) ;)

andy i think if they did away with the inland nationals

the membership would be decimated

thus the joining fee would be higher,there would be no profit from the inland races

to help supliment the channel races

how much would it then cost to send a bird to say the gold cup £20????

that in itself will hold the birdage down

a lot of members only join to race these inland races

and have birds capable of flying out to 350 /450ish miles

some of todays breeds just wont fly over these distances

jmo

Davie there was no inland races before and i can assure you the birdage was 8 x more than it is now you say that the national needs the inland races to keep it going like a bloody sore heed , are you in the real world , its the inland races that has ruined it , its not long ago you were posting the amount of birds you have lost , and you have some that has just went 100 miles or so, that is why the racing is going backwards birds not being tried out and kept to keep up the numbers crazy, ? Back to the national what is a ( NATIONAL ) in my little world its the best competing against the best and for a gold cup it should be a hard race the furthest race and all birds liberated at MIDAY making the whole convoy spend a night out then it levels the fairness of the event with all birds rising in morning on a level playing field, , davie you say the birdage will be held down get a life its only the best birds that will be sent , and why do you need a transporter that holds 5 6 7 thousand when a smaller transporter to hold 1.500 birds is adaquate ? Theres £120 000 ,+ lying doing nothing in the bank + the race is sponsored in different ways feeding etc AND WILL PAY ITS SELF NA BOTHER . :partick-thistle-Crest:

Its not only the impact on the SNFC channel races that I believe the Inland nationals are affecting.

Its a case of stealing from the poor to feed the rich.They greatly affect fed racing.

Think it would be much fairer if the inland racing was left to feds to joint convoy and if the SNFC stuck to channel racing.

The inland racers would enjoy it much more as they are racing in bigger competitions they actually stand a chance of scoring well in and the channel racing would be enjoyed as it has been for decades,only with bigger birdages.

For me both SNFC old bird inland races should be done away with as well as the YB national and we should have 4 national channel races.

This is only my opinion.The members will decide,the ones it doesn't suit will just have to soldier on and enjoy their doos :emoticon-0157-sun:

Its not only the impact on the SNFC channel races that I believe the Inland nationals are affecting.

Its a case of stealing from the poor to feed the rich.They greatly affect fed racing.

Think it would be much fairer if the inland racing was left to feds to joint convoy and if the SNFC stuck to channel racing.

The inland racers would enjoy it much more as they are racing in bigger competitions they actually stand a chance of scoring well in and the channel racing would be enjoyed as it has been for decades,only with bigger birdages.

For me both SNFC old bird inland races should be done away with as well as the YB national and we should have 4 national channel races.

This is only my opinion.The members will decide,the ones it doesn't suit will just have to soldier on and enjoy their doos :emoticon-0157-sun:

If you wish to propose the above as a motion for the SNFC AGM then I would be delighted to second it.

Well Im afraid in the modern pigeon game if you only have channel races in the programme the national will be dead and buried in ten years time....Why?? because the majority of todays fanciers are not interested in long distance racing. By the way I love long distance racing but I also see the bigger picture. If the national only had TWO race next year from Alencon and Tours how many entries do you think they would get and how many members would resign?

We have forgotten that the tradition of the SNFC was initially for long distance racing.As said before, the inland races were brought in to try and generate more members , with a view of eventually upping the Gold cup birdage.This did not happen and in fact, the opposite has occurred.We now have inland races subsidising the other races and we are now frightened to get rid of them.Im still on the fence about the inland races????