Food For Thought

tiger

after watchin many feds gettin thumped week in and week out is it not time for a rethink ? after all guys with dogs dont hammer them as young or horse.s even humans dont do it so why do we ? jmo look at the late jim biss never raced them , i think they are born good its up two us two get it out of them

after watchin many feds gettin thumped week in and week out is it not time for a rethink ? after all guys with dogs dont hammer them as young or horse.s even humans dont do it so why do we ? jmo look at the late jim biss never raced them , i think they are born good its up two us two get it out of them

I agree and will not be racing all my youngbirds in the future. I will still race some for fun but will only train the majority and will do it later in the year.

A'VE STOPPED MINE FOR THE YEAR I SPLIT THEM INTO 2 TEAMS IN 2 SEPERATE LOFTS ALL BAR 3 HAWKED DOOS HAVE HAD AT LEAST OTTERBURN 82MLS SO THAT IS ME SHUTTING UP SHOP NOO UNLESS I SEND SOME OF THEM TO THE COMEBACK RACE IN 3 WEEKS :emoticon-0138-thinking::emoticon-0138-thinking:

PS.....FORGOT TO SAY I HAVE 30 RACED AND 3 WELL TRAINED BUT PERCY HAS HAD A GO AT THEM :emoticon-0179-headbang::emoticon-0179-headbang:

Would agree with you there ,Dennis Anderson never raced a youngster and won the Scottish averages 2 years running ,when he only needed a time in from the ybn he jumped a selected few the 200 odd mls and got a time in ,do think if they are not raced have got to be really well educated with preferably club mates birds to learn them to break without being to far of line ,I tried not racing some last year they were not trained as youngsters and developed into wonderful yearling have been training them all summer if that's what you call it ,and am left at present with 5 from 28 ,so definitely never keep them a winter ever again without being educated as youngsters,suppose it was common sense really a kid dis nae start the school at 10 year old jmo :emoticon-0138-thinking:

A'VE STOPPED MINE FOR THE YEAR I SPLIT THEM INTO 2 TEAMS IN 2 SEPERATE LOFTS ALL BAR 3 HAWKED DOOS HAVE HAD AT LEAST OTTERBURN 82MLS SO THAT IS ME SHUTTING UP SHOP NOO UNLESS I SEND SOME OF THEM TO THE COMEBACK RACE IN 3 WEEKS :emoticon-0138-thinking::emoticon-0138-thinking:

PS.....FORGOT TO SAY I HAVE 30 RACED AND 3 WELL TRAINED BUT PERCY HAS HAD A GO AT THEM :emoticon-0179-headbang::emoticon-0179-headbang:

not too bad a team alf ;) ,as always me and old jock keep good records of racing and breeding and over nearly 40 years winning doos at all distances have had different racing programmes as youngsters and some no racing at all as youngsters,the cock that was 6th sec 32nd open tours winning his 3rd nat ticket was an unraced youngster,our silver award winner this year had 1 race from crawford as a younster with the midland fed,on the other side of the coin birds that have scored at the ybn have gone on to win at rennes etc,think the point is imo there are no hard and fast rules with y/bs although i think they must get the big stick as yearlings ;)we have our youngsters very similar to yourself alf and will hopefully finish the programme with a few darkness y/bs,good luck with your doos alan. :) :) :) :) :)

not too bad a team alf ;) ,as always me and old jock keep good records of racing and breeding and over nearly 40 years winning doos at all distances have had different racing programmes as youngsters and some no racing at all as youngsters,the cock that was 6th sec 32nd open tours winning his 3rd nat ticket was an unraced youngster,our silver award winner this year had 1 race from crawford as a younster with the midland fed,on the other side of the coin birds that have scored at the ybn have gone on to win at rennes etc,think the point is imo there are no hard and fast rules with y/bs although i think they must get the big stick as yearlings ;)we have our youngsters very similar to yourself alf and will hopefully finish the programme with a few darkness y/bs,good luck with your doos alan. :) :) :) :) :)

AYE IT LOOKS LIKE A GOOD TEAM JOHN BUT I'M WILLING TO KEEP THEM AWE WINTER TO FIND OOT IF THEY ARE ANY GOOD MATE :emoticon-0138-thinking::egyptian::emoticon-0157-sun::emoticon-0157-sun:

Well i have 22 ybs in the loft 14 which have been raced, the rest are either to young or injured the young ones will get trained in the next few weeks thats me shut up shop for the season, next season i will take one round of youngyeens and thats it and just train them hard no racing

i've decided to stop mine too alan had 57 away to coldstream 1st race got 51/57 then took YBS missed the 2nd coldstream and otterburn got 1 toss from lauder albeit they were working round the loft brilliant sent to hexham 96mls the 51 and got 36 that'll do for me i'll take my chances with them as yearlings,but got to agree with john don't see the need to hammer them down the road

I was just looking at this last week, to help decide how far I want my YBs to go in 2011. :emoticon-0126-nerd:

I wintered 20 young birds last year, none of which were flown out; I had 3 distinct groups, which I thought I'd compare at the end of the 2011 OB season, and make a judgement on my own thought that YBs are best raced out.

Here's the table & summary I made up:-

summary.doc

why dont the clubs still have their normal short racing ie up to say 60 70 miles every week after that distance the feds combine on an agreed race progamme that would be the first hurdle and get them down the road but still keep the short races going every week if you want to go down the road the opportunity is there birds hurt or had the ybs would still be able to get experience of the transporter on these shrt races also later bred ybds cn get a race or two to make this work all the old greivences would have to be forgotten for the sake of the ybds this is just a thought something i have been thinking about for a while what do you think guys ?

Get them down the road if they are able. What have we bred them for???RACING. Ill be sending anything that can go this week again and I havent got a club or fed.Hoody, dont you be stopping nice lookers just to try and beat me in the shows lol

Got too agree here Derek. They're for racing, no looking at how much crap you've got for next year, first head wind just like Marlborough this year and all the yearlings are lost, everyone blaming convoyers race controllers Cornflake Index and any other excuse, get them away, tried and tested and out breed the weaklings just like we all did 30 years ago. Although I will concede we have more obstacles ie: Peregrines..

Got too agree here Derek. They're for racing, no looking at how much crap you've got for next year, first head wind just like Marlborough this year and all the yearlings are lost, everyone blaming convoyers race controllers Cornflake Index and any other excuse, get them away, tried and tested and out breed the weaklings just like we all did 30 years ago. Although I will concede we have more obstacles ie: Peregrines..

andy the ybs you droped at weekend were they no good ? bet you there were some well bred birds ? , with sport in free fall we need two sort this out anyone comein in two the sport wont stay long with thumpin yous got at the weekend ,jmo

I am firmly of the opinion that a majority of birds bred are out of non performers so that the Owner can reach the numbers he wants to race. These youngsters are not likely to shine as racers because they are bred from poor parents. I reckon that that youngsters bred from several generations of winners will be up to the job. To my mind young bird races are there to allow the Fanciers to carry out progeny testing which is an essential part of improvement of the stock. However, after saying that I think that we have a big problem with the transporters used to carry the birds. Pigeons have a low tolerance to dehydration and yet we still crowd them into crates in badly ventilated transporters and expect them to find water when it is on offer regardless of whether or not they have been trained to drink. Pigeon Fanciers are famous for entering their birds into races and taking little or no responsibility of their welfare and, worse still, blaming the birds for being unable to cope with the stress of it all. Then as if that were not enough I have seen birds at the marking stations stuffed with food and there is no doubt they will spew it up to spread their germs far and wide. It is the same with young bird sickness, you all know as well as me that there are a lot of birds sent to races that are ill. You only have to look at some of the strays that show up at your loft to see that the birds concerned never had a chance to get home never mind win a race. In my opinion well bred healthy youngsters benefit from the experience of racing and after all it saves time and money when you test them as youngsters because you will not be likely to keep duds longer than absolutely necessary.

andy the ybs you droped at weekend were they no good ? bet you there were some well bred birds ? , with sport in free fall we need two sort this out anyone comein in two the sport wont stay long with thumpin yous got at the weekend ,jmo

No disagreeing John but 60 mile races following the tail in front and then stopping them for the year isnae the answer either, cos there's nobody doing that in the Pentland Fed thats beating anyone whose racing them right out as yearlings.

I'm racing a few Old Hens this year in the Solent Fed, the Fed are allowing Old Hens to go as trainers and the two YB Channel races are incorporating an Old Hens race. The YBs I've got I'm racing North and I'm just sending the Old Hens to the Solent Fed races. I intend to enter these hens in the NFC & BBC Old Hen races later in the year, also the Hampshire Two-Bird Championship Club is also having an Old Hens race with its YB race.

Fanciers have been slow to support these races but I think next year more fanciers will become involved in Old Hen racing, it gives you competitive racing and takes the pressure away from having to race YBs to give you your weekly racing fix.