What Does Keeping Pigeons Mean To You ?

Guest peter4pm

Guest peter4pm

1.What does keeping pigeons mean to you ?

2.What enjoyment do you get from your birds?

3.If for some reason or another you had to give up the birds , how do you think you would feel?

Keeping pigeons to me is a passion , they are a very big part of my everyday life , i would even say that i truely love them to bits , they are my babies.

Enjoyment factor , i feel pigeons are one of the most if not the most Intelligent of the bird species , i can sit and watch them all day long going about their daily goings on and they all have their own diferent characteristics , and can become very loyal to their owner.

If i ever had to give my birds up ....i think i wouldnt enjoy life the same way ever again , it would be like my heart had been ripped out to be honest .

3.If for some reason or another you had to give up the birds , how do you think you would feel?

Keeping pigeons to me is a passion , they are a very big part of my everyday life , i would even say that i truely love them to bits , they are my babies.

Enjoyment factor , i feel pigeons are one of the most if not the most Intelligent of the bird species , i can sit and watch them all day long going about their daily goings on and they all have their own diferent characteristics , and can become very loyal to their owner.

If i ever had to give my birds up ....i think i wouldnt enjoy life the same way ever again , it would be like my heart had been ripped out to be honest .

have raced the doos with my dad since i was a wee boy and the doos are the only thing we really get on about, we both love the races over 300mls and more so the nationals,have never thought of giving up the birds although we have had a few kicks in the teeth these last few years this only makes us all the more keener.

well to me its life with out them i would feel lost

watching a new baby come into the family is great also watching the grow and just the everyday walking into the loft and see them light up and looking for food :D and sitting all over it quite good :D

3.If for some reason or another you had to give up the birds , how do you think you would feel

i wouldnt give them up now never

One of my old school pals stays up in

Aberdeen,hes studying journalism up there.He was told to give an interesting and factual report on an underground sport.So he chose doo racing :lol: .He asked me to give him some background on the sport in Scotland and then asked for my personal experiences and successes so far and most importantly WHY I do it.I got a bit carried away and sent him a few thousand words :lol:

This was the intro I gave him on why people keep them

"I have yet to find a more interesting and fascinating hobby than pigeon racing. It’s a sport of indescribable highs and extreme lows. It’s a sport of uncertainty. There are no rights and wrongs. Everyone has their theories and ideals but pigeon racing is and will always remain a mystery and a past time that throws up surprises on regular basis. In the right company I could have a pigeon conversation hours long.

There are fanciers who enjoy having pigeons around them watching them coming home from races and are delighted if they get a certificate or a poke at the pools now and again. I respect them as much as I respect the crack fanciers who dominate federations and win 1st prizes well into double figures year in year out. The people I have no time for are the ones who expect to win without the necessary preparation then sit back and decry those better than them and accuse them of all sorts. There are no real secrets to success in pigeon racing the more you put in the more you will get out"

1. It means i have a reason to get up every day and get my thinking cap on for the next day/month/year++.

It means i have a haven away from the daily grind. It means peace and relaxation.

2. I enjoy EVERY aspect of keeping racers.....From deciding which pairs i will mate together, to seeing the youngsters grow in the nest, to watch them take small flights off the lofts for the first time and then starting them on the road to racing. To finally winning with the bird you have created, there is NO better feeling.

I enjoy meeting fellow fanciers who are consistent with their birds, and getting their idea's on how to keep a team that perform year in year out..

3. If i had to give them up i reckon my life without them would be so dull i'd be back in them again pretty sharpish, even as a loftman to another fancier, just so long as i could be around them and watch them return from racing.

One of my old school pals stays up in

Aberdeen,hes studying journalism up there.He was told to give an interesting and factual report on an underground sport.So he chose doo racing :lol: .He asked me to give him some background on the sport in Scotland and then asked for my personal experiences and successes so far and most importantly WHY I do it.I got a bit carried away and sent him a few thousand words :lol:

This was the intro I gave him on why people keep them

"I have yet to find a more interesting and fascinating hobby than pigeon racing. It’s a sport of indescribable highs and extreme lows. It’s a sport of uncertainty. There are no rights and wrongs. Everyone has their theories and ideals but pigeon racing is and will always remain a mystery and a past time that throws up surprises on regular basis. In the right company I could have a pigeon conversation hours long.

There are fanciers who enjoy having pigeons around them watching them coming home from races and are delighted if they get a certificate or a poke at the pools now and again. I respect them as much as I respect the crack fanciers who dominate federations and win 1st prizes well into double figures year in year out. The people I have no time for are the ones who expect to win without the necessary preparation then sit back and decry those better than them and accuse them of all sorts. There are no real secrets to success in pigeon racing the more you put in the more you will get out"

Great post

Guest peter4pm

its great reading these answers ..we all seem to share one comon goal ...and thats , we all love our pigeons , and with out them in some way shape or form , we would feel a big sense of loss ....nice one guys keep them coming , i feel this is a worthy post .

although ive been brought up with pigeons always being around ive never been right into them until recently i know absolutly

nothing about them but for some reason love being in about the lofts be it cleaning out sitting with the y/bs or waiting for

my pooler coming home from the race you cant beat it (and thats my opinion after spending allday in the snow and rain building

a loft lol.

I have various sorts of livestock all my life. When I left the Smallholding in 1996 I needed something to occupy me. It was either dog training or pigeon racing. I chose pigeons because I thought I could become engrossed in the breeding side of things and use the racing as a means to test my work. That is pretty much what I have done and I love every minute of it.

Raced the doos now for 39 years kept them even longer and get as excited on a Saturday as i did all those years ago ,used to love being sixty miles from home waiting on the sun rising then trying to race them back home knowing they would all come together without encountering any problems late mother would have my breakfast ready then it was of to work at seven thirty spent ma thirty six pounds a week on them then (nothing changes ) went through a spell following Scotland to European championships world cups (yes we did qualify then )did-nae want tae come home from Sweden ,grew out of that now or should i say my liver has ,enjoy all aspects of the sport even the scrapping out was eight tonight before i got them all spic and span that's devotion ,love the national races hate loosing a favourite love the yb's as they are so unpredictable ,hate the politics big fan of the social side ,wife's always threatened to come back as a doo but a told her she could be away in the wheelie first week ,Greatest sport on earth feel privileged to be part of it :emoticon-0157-sun:

i took on the sport of pigeon racing so i could focus my attention on something else than drinking my self stupid every day and i havent drank since ive had them they have made me realise that ther is more to life than drinking and nothing or no one will ever make me get rid of them my misses loves them because they have saved our relation ship by the way i think this is a realy good thread and have realy enjoyed reading all your different reasons alb lenton1163