Take Note Fife Fanciers

sapper756

Just been informed by a fancier from Kennoway that a woman in a full green suit with hood, turned up unannounced to view the lofts and birds. The lady was Interested in the welfare of the birds, the cleanliness of the lofts and drinkers. Also to check that a tray with disinfectant was available to dip.feet when entering and exiting the lofts. The lady said she was happy with all of the forementioned, but would be returning in 2 weeks for another inspection

The lady was from The Animal & Planet health agency surveillance

just had her at mine she is a vet. just looked at the birds didnt want to handle any birds asked where the feeding comes from ect. she said they would be back in 14 days and if all was well and no more out breaks the restrictions will be lifted. just doing there job i suppose. it took her 10 mins to put all the PPE on space mask the lot

just had her at mine she is a vet. just looked at the birds didnt want to handle any birds asked where the feeding comes from ect. she said they would be back in 14 days and if all was well and no more out breaks the restrictions will be lifted. just doing there job i suppose. it took her 10 mins to put all the PPE on space mask the lot

smiling-scarecrow-329.png

Animal and Plant Health Agency - GOV.UKwww.gov.uk › Organisations

What the Animal and Plant Health Agency does.

We work to safeguard animal and plant health for the benefit of people, the environment and the economy. APHA is an executive agency, sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs, the Welsh Government and The Scottish Government.

I'm led to believe from the local villagers of Aberdour defra has been called twice once to several sands and black sands .as their has been dead birds lying around. With no obvious answers

Thanks for the nod Bob. You and I are only around 3 to 4 kilometres from the beaches at Aberdour. I'm not sure if a detection of bird flu in wild birds would have the same effect regarding restrictions, as a detection in domestic birds. I've already got a foot bath with a strong solution of Vircon S and a large sponge in it at the loft entrance. I'm going to put aluminium sheets over the fly pens to stop the possibility of any droppings from wild birds dropping down into them. Some experts state that domestic pigeons do not catch these variants of bird flu, and do not carry or pass it on. But I have also read that that bird flu has been detected in domestic pigeons (even if it is extremely rare). Hopefully it's just the usual winter deaths. People will definitely be reacting a bit more after hearing about the recent bird flu outbreak in Fife. Let us know if you hear anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

The way I see it, is that not much has really changed. Reading the Scottish Gov guidelines. The end of the protection zone and revocation of the restricted zone within a 10 kilometre radius of Scoonie Farm Leven sounds like good news, but the 10 kilometre radius Surveillance zone still stands. So people with pigeons in the surveillance zone still can’t let them out. The general Avian influenza prevention zone still stands across the whole of Scotland. So still no bird gatherings. Training is allowed as long as birds, baskets, transport etc. are from one loft or location only. But then COVID restrictions bring there own problems with that. Pigeons outside of the surveillance zone can be released to fly from their loft for one hour per day. So you better buy your birds a watch.

Please feel free to contradict anything that I have said, as it is only my interpretation of the long winded Gov guidelines.

• 2 weeks later...

Can birds now be trained?

It depends on your Covid rules - essential journeys - in England that changes on 29th March, so we can train our own birds, but cannot train other peoples birds, as that is a gathering and not allowed under bird flu rules - again England only (I'm not familiar with the differences between England & Scotland only know there are some differences in the rules for both)