Yb Feeding

blue bar

what mixes are the best for feeding ybs from weaning till there first race then what do you feed during the race season

You will get a variety of different answers to that question as there is so many different combinations of feeds. Some people dont race birds but will still give you an answer, some cant keep a bird healthy but will provide an answer,some cant time a bird in race time but will give you an answer.

I do the opposite to a lot would do once the babies are weaned they get breed and wean for 2 weeks then I add the mix that I will keep them on which is very light first week half the breed and wean and half my tlight mix for a week then just the light mix to the end of the season

No peas or beans to they are raced and then just a few on Sunday

I like them to be up and away running by time there 8 to10 weeks old

They fly with vigour and have no health problems like many have on this light mixture ,

I do the opposite to a lot would do once the babies are weaned they get breed and wean for 2 weeks then I add the mix that I will keep them on which is very light first week half the breed and wean and half my tlight mix for a week then just the light mix to the end of the season

No peas or beans to they are raced and then just a few on Sunday

I like them to be up and away running by time there 8 to10 weeks old

They fly with vigour and have no health problems like many have on this light mixture ,

what do you class as a light mix

I was always against a heavy protein mixture for ybs, this year the birds got beans from weaning and would run upto 3 hours some days! This shocked me as it was against everything I believed in, there was also no yb sickness and the health was always spot on! The feed was changed for racing but tbh I was more concerned about the experience the ybs received then anything else as I didn't take a clock out all yb season

I was always against a heavy protein mixture for ybs, this year the birds got beans from weaning and would run upto 3 hours some days! This shocked me as it was against everything I believed in, there was also no yb sickness and the health was always spot on! The feed was changed for racing but tbh I was more concerned about the experience the ybs received then anything else as I didn't take a clock out all yb season

Has this experience changed your view on how to feed young birds - ie running up to 3 hours and no yb sickness ?

Has this experience changed your view on how to feed young birds - ie running up to 3 hours and no yb sickness ?

Yes but wouldn't change my opinion of how to feed during racing, as racing young birds is a an art if you want to be successful with ybs, my ways have changed dramatically and yb racing is no interest to me anymore

Edited by Wiley

At one time I worked away staying away 3 nights so I got my mother to let the birds out each day and shut the trap up after a few hours I only fed a hopper of beans other than when I was going to race then fed a high carb mix with sunflower for 2 or 3 days

The birds flew for hours on a unpaired system and beans ,, Come the combine races I was 3 rd then 4th then anout 20th in the 3 water races and 4th BBC in the one race I sent to

It made my life a lot easier only trouble was upto 150 miles on the prep races they were about 10 mins off the pace

Now we have loads of short races in my new club it wouldn't work I would be behind but if I only had interest in 250/300 miles I wouldn't hesitate to hopper feed beans and a high carb mix by hand .

Simple reality is at all ages pigeons are pigeons. Once the cup is brim-full then nothing can be added … just more work for the bodies.

Protein is a must of Course. So Tic Beans at 25% - arguable, but high. Maples 22%. Either is a great basic stable diet for ALL an any aged pigeon. Fact is nature provides the very essentials and more.

Indeed just fed all the year round is good and quite practical, in racing too. Especially at the distance and hard races.

Other mixes added is best planned to being cost effective. Just a placebo for self requirement of doing the best for their loved birds.

Small seed, wild or Canary are good conditioners, as is Linseed... once a week.

Maize or a little hemp combats the cold some what .. and heats the blood for racing... etc.

Milk, Egg yolk are a perceived choice that makes sense somewhat when rearing.

But BASICALLY the basic is good protein bean or pea and the rest of what IS REQUIRED will be already there. Wheat and Barley are good basic feeds. Mixed to own desire, Add Beans or peas etc. and whatever, you will find the results the same. especially 'Hopper Fed'. J.M.O. thoughts and readings and experience.

I think I took this off here. .. Maybe not. But I took time to do as follows for easy looking at. One can decide for themselves as to what to feed. Personally, not just for saving costs, I much prefer direct from FARMS. They certainly clean and shine as any feed bought from Corner suppliers and Bagged. That may not even be, often, as clean as from the farm. Any way here it is and I hope it helps some fanciers as to what they feel is best for them and their beloved friends,

CEREAL CONTENTS

BARLEY: PROTEIN: 12. 7 CARBOHYDRATES: 66.6 WATER: 10. 6 FIBRE: 5. 4 FAT: 1. 9

CANARY: PROTEIN: 14 .9 CARBOHYDRATES: 62.8 WATER: 8.8 FIBRE: 5. 55 FAT: 3.7

HEMP: PROTEIN: 18. 3 CARBOHYDRATES: 36. 2 WATER: 9.0 FIBRE: 14. 8 FAT: 32. 6

LINSEED: PROTEIN: 24. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 28 . 4 WATER: 7. 2 FIBRE: 5.55 FAT: 36 . 5

MAIZE: PROTEIN: 8 . 9 CARBOHYDRATES: 68 . 9 WATER: 1.5 FIBRE: 2.0 FAT: 3. 9

MAPLES PEAS: PROTEIN: 22.5 CARBOHYDRATES: 59 . 1 WATER: 14 FIBRE: 5. 4 FAT: 0. 9

MILO: PROTEIN: 11. 3 CARBOHYDRATES: 71. 3 WATER: 10. 6 FIBRE: 2. 2 FAT: 2. 9

MILLIT SEED: PROTEIN: 11. 8 CARBOHYDRATES: 64. 7 WATER: 9. 1 FIBRE: 7. 8 FAT: 3. 3

OATS: PROTEIN: 12. 0 CARBOHYDRATES: 68. 3 WATER: 9. 8 FIBRE: 11. 0 FAT: 4. 6

PEANUTS: PROTEIN: 30. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 11. 6 WATER: 5 .5 FIBRE: 2. 8 FAT: 47. 6

POP CORN: PROTEIN: 12. 1 CARBOHYDRATES: 69. 7 WATER: 11. 0 FIBRE: 2. 0 FAT: 5. 2

RICE UN - HULLED: PROTEIN: 7. 4 CARBOHYDRATES: 64. 3 WATER: 12 .0 FIBRE: 9. 3 FAT: 2. 6

RICE POLISHED: PROTEIN: 6. 7 CARBOHYDRATES: 79. 5 WATER: 12. 6 FIBRE: 1. 5 FAT: 0. 4

RAPESEED: PROTEIN: 19. 4 CARBOHYDRATES: 16. 4 WATER: 14. 0 FIBRE: 7. 8 FAT: 38. 5

SOYA BEAN: PROTEIN: 33, 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 34. 6 WATER: 10. 0 FIBRE: 4. 1 FAT: 17. 5

SAFFLOWER SEED: PROTEIN: 15. 6 CARBOHYDRATES: 16. 0 WATER: 5. 8 FIBRE: 31. 0 FAT: 31. 6

SUN FLOWER SEED: PROTEIN: 14. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 42. 6 WATER: 7. 5 FIBRE: 28. 1 FAT: 32. 3

TIC BEAN: PROTEIN: 25. 4 CARBOHYDRATES: 53. 3 WATER: 14. 3 FIBRE: 7. 1 FAT: 1. 5

WHEAT: PROTEIN: 15. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 70. 9 WATER: 10. 4 FIBRE: 2. 6 FAT: 1. 8

BUCK WHEAT: PROTEIN: 11. 3 CARBOHYDRATES: 69. 2 WATER: 14. 0 FIBRE: 14. 4 FAT: 2. 6

VETCH: PROTEIN: 20. 0 CARBOHYDRATES: 55. 8 WATER: 13. 2 FIBRE: 6. 0 FAT: 1. 7

LENTILS: PROTEIN: 25. 7 CARBOHYDRATES: 57. 5 WATER: 8. 4 FIBRE: 1. 7 FAT: 1. 0

If any one is interested I can send them a very good Feed and Feedings written by the best, including Names and Scientists etc.

Mind it is 14 pages long, which one would maybe read through then again in parts to get the gist.

It also asks and answers 'Can we save energy?

Edited by Roland

I think I took this off here. .. Maybe not. But I took time to do as follows for easy looking at. One can decide for themselves as to what to feed. Personally, not just for saving costs, I much prefer direct from FARMS. They certainly clean and shine as any feed bought from Corner suppliers and Bagged. That may not even be, often, as clean as from the farm. Any way here it is and I hope it helps some fanciers as to what they feel is best for them and their beloved friends,

CEREAL CONTENTS

BARLEY: PROTEIN: 12. 7 CARBOHYDRATES: 66.6 WATER: 10. 6 FIBRE: 5. 4 FAT: 1. 9

CANARY: PROTEIN: 14 .9 CARBOHYDRATES: 62.8 WATER: 8.8 FIBRE: 5. 55 FAT: 3.7

HEMP: PROTEIN: 18. 3 CARBOHYDRATES: 36. 2 WATER: 9.0 FIBRE: 14. 8 FAT: 32. 6

LINSEED: PROTEIN: 24. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 28 . 4 WATER: 7. 2 FIBRE: 5.55 FAT: 36 . 5

MAIZE: PROTEIN: 8 . 9 CARBOHYDRATES: 68 . 9 WATER: 1.5 FIBRE: 2.0 FAT: 3. 9

MAPLES PEAS: PROTEIN: 22.5 CARBOHYDRATES: 59 . 1 WATER: 14 FIBRE: 5. 4 FAT: 0. 9

MILO: PROTEIN: 11. 3 CARBOHYDRATES: 71. 3 WATER: 10. 6 FIBRE: 2. 2 FAT: 2. 9

MILLIT SEED: PROTEIN: 11. 8 CARBOHYDRATES: 64. 7 WATER: 9. 1 FIBRE: 7. 8 FAT: 3. 3

OATS: PROTEIN: 12. 0 CARBOHYDRATES: 68. 3 WATER: 9. 8 FIBRE: 11. 0 FAT: 4. 6

PEANUTS: PROTEIN: 30. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 11. 6 WATER: 5 .5 FIBRE: 2. 8 FAT: 47. 6

POP CORN: PROTEIN: 12. 1 CARBOHYDRATES: 69. 7 WATER: 11. 0 FIBRE: 2. 0 FAT: 5. 2

RICE UN - HULLED: PROTEIN: 7. 4 CARBOHYDRATES: 64. 3 WATER: 12 .0 FIBRE: 9. 3 FAT: 2. 6

RICE POLISHED: PROTEIN: 6. 7 CARBOHYDRATES: 79. 5 WATER: 12. 6 FIBRE: 1. 5 FAT: 0. 4

RAPESEED: PROTEIN: 19. 4 CARBOHYDRATES: 16. 4 WATER: 14. 0 FIBRE: 7. 8 FAT: 38. 5

SOYA BEAN: PROTEIN: 33, 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 34. 6 WATER: 10. 0 FIBRE: 4. 1 FAT: 17. 5

SAFFLOWER SEED: PROTEIN: 15. 6 CARBOHYDRATES: 16. 0 WATER: 5. 8 FIBRE: 31. 0 FAT: 31. 6

SUN FLOWER SEED: PROTEIN: 14. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 42. 6 WATER: 7. 5 FIBRE: 28. 1 FAT: 32. 3

TIC BEAN: PROTEIN: 25. 4 CARBOHYDRATES: 53. 3 WATER: 14. 3 FIBRE: 7. 1 FAT: 1. 5

WHEAT: PROTEIN: 15. 2 CARBOHYDRATES: 70. 9 WATER: 10. 4 FIBRE: 2. 6 FAT: 1. 8

BUCK WHEAT: PROTEIN: 11. 3 CARBOHYDRATES: 69. 2 WATER: 14. 0 FIBRE: 14. 4 FAT: 2. 6

VETCH: PROTEIN: 20. 0 CARBOHYDRATES: 55. 8 WATER: 13. 2 FIBRE: 6. 0 FAT: 1. 7

LENTILS: PROTEIN: 25. 7 CARBOHYDRATES: 57. 5 WATER: 8. 4 FIBRE: 1. 7 FAT: 1. 0

Roland good addition to post ,