Proposed 700 Ml Racing Into Central Scotland .

eastcoaster

I remember seeing an NFC result not too long ago (within the last five years) and somebody from Scotland timed in 2 within seconds of each other I'm sure it was just over 800 miles (802?) Maybe 2nd day?

True, and was robbed by the H.O.D. to boot. Fantastic flying, as good as nigh any where.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's stop the Mountains (Pin *expletive removed*) and terrain. Buoyance and valleys play a big part too.

Wind and time of letting them up. For sure the silly unfair, yes contrived Noon Libs see middle distance birds scoring flying far less. But on a good day as soon as the sun is up they should be released. Cold channel! Now that will take a toll second day. Even same day different weathers can, and often are a force to be reckoned with. Certainly unlikely to be the same each day, week and certainly each year. The debacle of 22nd of June is a great put down. Hot days with no wind hardly... ekk!

Now better to lose 20 minutes for July race.

I think the main difference between England and Scotland is the vast amount of water that they will fly over. Water breezes are far colder.

Tiger don't believe all you here ... especially from those with vested interests :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle: :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I can only say what I see , and you should be careful what you say,

And they are dna tested

Slightly. .....its south of everybody and only Langholm is more easterly.....they are very hard to beat and some excellent fanciers makes it even more challenging. ....just have to get better

When we raced A1 stevie the Fechan more than held its own in the fed

Good fanciers all over Scotland regardless of what section they fly in ,some more disadvantaged than others regarding loft location

Happy Racing ma doos in sunny Moffat

Could'nt see me moving to the Fechan unless I got survival training from mike Tyson first :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Just checked back a few results of the Solway fed. Looks like a Springfield club take most of the open positions most weeks. Surely if they were coming up the M6 the boys nearer the back would be getting a turn now and again and the boys in the west wouldnt be 200yds a minute worse off ??

Just checked back a few results of the Solway fed. Looks like a Springfield club take most of the open positions most weeks. Surely if they were coming up the M6 the boys nearer the back would be getting a turn now and again and the boys in the west wouldnt be 200yds a minute worse off ??

Springfield is Gretna Green its Gretna club

I am 28 mls direct north up motorway cant compete shorter races

We further north do better at open marking when birds are mixed

Dumfries, castle douglas, dalbeattie don't have a chance because of location and very poor overfly has to be a strong east wind

birds come into Solway at Gretna then disperse

Good fanciers who get first drop are always going to be favourites

It's a large area and as people keep telling the fanciers in the south......shorter fliers have it easier ....lol

Dumfries, castle douglas, dalbeattie don't have a chance because of location and very poor overfly has to be a strong east wind

Sounds like Lanarkshire lol

This is a race from Kelso with Lanarkshire think it was an East wind. The guy furthest flying west wins the race. What route do you think the doos in Eaglesham took to win this race??

If it's any help to answer your question, go into as the crow flies this will give you distance plus line of flight depending on wind direction,hope this helps

The red line Eaglesham at the bottom line win the race then going up the way. Hamilton, Uddingston then Coatbridge. So if that was a west wind the bird in Eaglesham doesn't stand a chance because the wind is against it for longer. The pigeons from top to bottom are favoured So Coatbridge Uddingston then Hamilton then Eaglesham.

So it doesn't matter where you race from the wind will have a major say in the winner most weeks.

Reading through some old books gifted by a friend

October 1957

Pigeon racing news and gazette

Barcelona Belle,Flew Nantes thrice and Barcelona 1,040 miles 1957

For Thomas & Murray Anstruther Scotland

Pure White pigeon

More blasts from past to follow

good honest post,

If the M6 M74 A1 M8 etc etc etc were built OVER hills and mountains do you think our birds would follow roads ???

I don't buy the follow roads theory, it just so happens the roads go through the hills just as the birds do and did before there wee any roads to follow !!

Wind direction determines 99% of results. Jmo

If the M6 M74 A1 M8 etc etc etc were built OVER hills and mountains do you think our birds would follow roads ???

I don't buy the follow roads theory, it just so happens the roads go through the hills just as the birds do and did before there wee any roads to follow !!

Good point John

When the new motorway had just been completed down our way and obviously stretches of it were following new lines

I tossed the old birds at gretna and when on the new motorway North of ecclefechan I caught up with my batch of birds racing up the south bound lane and rising to clear the oncoming lorries before finally going back over open fields what I had witnessed was their line of flight which smart *expletive removed* humans had now built a motorway on

Strange but true lol

when the roads were built into scotland they took the easiest route and that was up the valleys, and doo.s do the same john

when the roads were built into scotland they took the easiest route and that was up the valleys, and doo.s do the same john

Correct Davie, my point exactly. They recently paid some scientists £40k to explain how doos found they're route home and they came to the conclusion the birds followed the roads but they never mentioned valleys or how the doos got home pre roads. No bad work if ye can get it 🙂

So Davie birds racing from Reims with a westerly wind we will race up the A1 valley??

i think at 560ml the leading pigeons will hold there own line, as there s no drag at the front. when they are fit and motivate the right way, no matter where you stay,

reims can be win anywhere in scotland on the right day,

and i think winners break for home hundreds of miles from home for there own line