My Opinion

blue pied

i have been reading this forum over the last day and looks like most of us got a hard race. I see people saying percy percy percy, yes i heard it happened to North of scotland but every other fed that got a hard race yesterday wasnt because of percy. i think people are just blaming percy because maybe there pigeons werent trained for the race enough or wasnt healthy, thoughts ?? thats just my opinion tho.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to agree Andy it cant all be BOP everytime although they do play a part.

I trained my birds out and even missed the first race so they had more training under their wing but still dropped birds yesterday although a good few have worked in today.

As for healthy mine will fly around the house for hours on end therefore have to have a certain element of good health and fitness or they would come down early.

we can all speculate on different reasons but from what i hear it has got worse over the last 5 years or so and yes their has to be a reason as they are not ALL bad pigeons.

Good topic mate.

Scotty M

i have been reading this forum over the last day and looks like most of us got a hard race. I see people saying percy percy percy, yes i heard it happened to North of scotland but every other fed that got a hard race yesterday wasnt because of percy. i think people are just blaming percy because maybe there pigeons werent trained for the race enough or wasnt healthy, thoughts ?? thats just my opinion tho.

Andy, are you saying you are happy with your 1 on the result at 600 velocity? Are you saying your pigeons were not trained properly? Are you saying your pigeons were not healthy?

Do you honestly think if your pigeons were trained and healthy, that all the untrained and unhealthy pigeons from the very few fanciers who would be covered by this would have caused your slow returns.

Perhaps you better rethink the advice given by those who have seen the effects of a BOP strike. :)

Andy, are you saying you are happy with your 1 on the result at 600 velocity? Are you saying your pigeons were not trained properly? Are you saying your pigeons were not healthy?

Do you honestly think if your pigeons were trained and healthy, that all the untrained and unhealthy pigeons from the very few fanciers who would be covered by this would have caused your slow returns.

Perhaps you better rethink the advice given by those who have seen the effects of a BOP strike. :)

I'm not happy with my performance yesterday, most important thing is I'm waiting on 1. now I see people on our fed page 4/23 and 9/33 and 17/44? More should have worked in if they were HEALTHY. 42/44 and 45/49? same race? Healthy trained pigeons

Have to agree Andy it cant all be BOP everytime although they do play a part.

I trained my birds out and even missed the first race so they had more training under their wing but still dropped birds yesterday although a good few have worked in today.

As for healthy mine will fly around the house for hours on end therefore have to have a certain element of good health and fitness or they would come down early.

we can all speculate on different reasons but from what i hear it has got worse over the last 5 years or so and yes their has to be a reason as they are not ALL bad pigeons.

Good topic mate.

Scotty M

The peregrine populations have massively increased in the past five years and will continue to do so. pigeon racing is finished if we dont get this problem sorted :(

Well said andy Kyle theres always some get descent returns and there's always doos in race time but on the whole the returns are dreadful 90 percent due to bop even the shxte should home in behind the winners not days later from a stones throw only problem is there either eaten or miles away flown out so no point in looking for any other excuses theres only one

I'm not happy with my performance yesterday, most important thing is I'm waiting on 1. now I see people on our fed page 4/23 and 9/33 and 17/44? More should have worked in if they were HEALTHY. 42/44 and 45/49? same race? Healthy trained pigeons

Try telling those guys who had they bad returns yesterday that it was because they were unhealthy and not trained as a personally no guys who have had 20plus tosses from 30 mls an a clean bill of health an are waiting on 20 plus birds from yesterday's race u are one of the lucky ones

Well said andy Kyle theres always some get descent returns and there's always doos in race time but on the whole the returns are dreadful 90 percent due to bop even the shxte should home in behind the winners not days later from a stones throw only problem is there either eaten or miles away flown out so no point in looking for any other excuses theres only one

Spoke to a guy today from Carlisle, hes spent £1000s on pigeons from the best in Europe and has 30 home from 114 ybs from a 50 mile race. He is an experienced fancier and told me his birds health and fitness were perfect. His theory is we are beat with the amount of bop on the go nowadays. I put him straight on the only cure I know

Racing is over for the season for me since I don't race my YB's. School holidays means time with the kids and not the pigeons.

I have now began to alter their routine, letting them out twice a day and calling them in to feed.

My reason is that if I leave them on open hole as is the norm, I will lose at least 1 a day to BOP and that is just around the loft, so different tactics have to be employed. We all need to employ different tactics, especially if racing. :)

Guest greegsy

Racing is over for the season for me since I don't race my YB's. School holidays means time with the kids and not the pigeons.

I have now began to alter their routine, letting them out twice a day and calling them in to feed.

My reason is that if I leave them on open hole as is the norm, I will lose at least 1 a day to BOP and that is just around the loft, so different tactics have to be employed. We all need to employ different tactics, especially if racing. :)

Hell mend you if you are losing birds around your own loft, you're not exactly in a position to preach to others, sort your own corner out and you might get listened to.

Guest Gareth Rankin

4g mobile network has only been rolled out to certain areas of the UK since 2014 now in 2015 the majority of the UK has coverage.

Young birds cant cope with the BOP and when you add 4g network it is hardly surprisng that yesterdays young bird race was so poor for uk fanciers, sadly its going to continue for the rest of the season, Our birds will adapt to the 4g network but it will take many generations of breeding of the survivours.

Perhaps we should not race yould young birds just like the portugese and wait till they are yearlings where they are more mature and dont have ybs to deal with along with all the other problems.

Instead of having old bird races ending in July continue it to the End of August which will make up for the lack of young bird racing.

WE have 56/62 home from 80 miles yesterday, most have been getting trained since May & June with the national birds, so all are well schooled, my returns are better than most and no amount of training is a guarantee, but 6 short from 80 miles for these birds is too high for my liking.

I do think their are a number of things happening but the main issues are...

1- Raptures, and they are protected to the hilt.

2- As Garath has said satalites and mobile phones technology is only going to get more and more.

2- I personally think when the moon is in the sky during the day, we have erratic returns, I would like other opinions on this subject, I didn't notice the moon in the sky this week, but anither fancier said it was, thoughts please.

High losses from short training flights and around the loft are higher than ever this year and we won't survive if this continues, unfortunatley I don't think we can reverse the trend.

Why not start the season off with 7 Yearling only races starting 23rd April 2016 then a full old bird programme starting 11th June with the National Gold Cup on 12th August culminating a completion of races on 27th August. Will it happen ?. NO

4g mobile network has only been rolled out to certain areas of the UK since 2014 now in 2015 the majority of the UK has coverage.

Young birds cant cope with the BOP and when you add 4g network it is hardly surprisng that yesterdays young bird race was so poor for uk fanciers, sadly its going to continue for the rest of the season, Our birds will adapt to the 4g network but it will take many generations of breeding of the survivours.

Perhaps we should not race yould young birds just like the portugese and wait till they are yearlings where they are more mature and dont have ybs to deal with along with all the other problems.

Instead of having old bird races ending in July continue it to the End of August which will make up for the lack of young bird racing.

Gareth if you are thinking that it maybe mobile phones etc .the birds that returned to me and other guys with full bodies not flown out as if they have been hiding if they were disorientated by 4g network they would have been flown out

Guest Gareth Rankin

Why not start the season off with 7 Yearling only races starting 23rd April 2016 then a full old bird programme starting 11th June with the National Gold Cup on 12th August culminating a completion of races on 27th August. Will it happen ?. NO

Not a terrible idea but fanciers probably prefer the status quo, same old....

Miss 1 yr young bird racing

But train ybs only at ease no rush no presure

Racing then becomes full season

Old bird with selected yearling races

Including a yearling national

The yearling select races would allow recovery of older burds

For the distances

I also think apart from giving the youngsters a chance

It would also help cut down dramatically the spread of yb sickness

And other viruses spread through the basketing system /transporters yb stays ect

Many yb illness is brought on by stress and at present the whole system

Of racing yb is stress related

Could make for an interesting program

Yearling national sounds good to me

But seems like most things in pigeon racing change is easier said than done

Guest Gareth Rankin

Gareth if you are thinking that it maybe mobile phones etc .the birds that returned to me and other guys with full bodies not flown out as if they have been hiding if they were disorientated by 4g network they would have been flown out

Some of the guys i know feel as if there doos have flown 500 miles. Kevin pigeons are struggling to orientate from short tosses, what chance have they got in a mass federation liberations.

Before 3g network which came out some 10+ years ago it would have taken 5-10 secs for a message to go from one mobile to another, when 3g came along it was about second now with 4g its a fraction of a second from phone to phone.

Now imagine the airwaves with everyone in the UK having mobile phones and sending dozens of messages per day using super signal 4g network the young birds cant hack along with all the other problems in the sport.

Friend of mine least year sent 26 to a 150 mile young bird race, he knows how to condition doos and yet he only got one from his 26, never seen another pigeon May this year, pigeons, young birds especially cant cope with one problem never mind a host of issues thats affecting there navigation.

Some of the guys i know feel as if there doos have flown 500 miles. Kevin pigeons are struggling to orientate from short tosses, what chance have they got in a mass federation liberations.

Before 3g network which came out some 10+ years ago it would have taken 5-10 secs for a message to go from one mobile to another, when 3g came along it was about second now with 4g its a fraction of a second from phone to phone.

Now imagine the airwaves with everyone in the UK having mobile phones and sending dozens of messages per day using super signal 4g network the young birds cant hack along with all the other problems in the sport.

Friend of mine least year sent 26 to a 150 mile young bird race, he knows how to condition doos and yet he only got one from his 26, never seen another pigeon May this year, pigeons, young birds especially cant cope with one problem never mind a host of issues thats affecting there navigation.

This is spot on.going to take fundamental changes to the way we race,Need direction from powers at be, will it come, no.

A very hard thing to prove Gareth .the only thing that is evidence of the amount of bop ther is and we up here are about the worst off .ybs go ranging and come back an hour later but take them a training toss and they are scattered all over the place an come home ripped that is evidence to me.