Hello From Essex

Hi there well your in the right Place welcome to Pigeon Basics , your best route is probably to join a local club , go on R.P.R.A website and email them and ask for clubs in your area ;)

Many thanks for the replies and welcomes its much appreciated.Im probably not even at the stage of joining a club yet im just about to build some sort of shed/coop type thing as ive had 3 birds living out of a big old cage for the last few months the type of thing people keep chipmunks and things in.I had the birds out flying above the shed for weeks because i didnt have the bottle to take them further afield through fear they wouldnt come back but alas i took them first a mile then 2 miles last wknd and they beat me home both times !!

I,ll have literally hundreds of questions but first off......what is the main difference if any between a dove and a pigeon ?.....secondly does anyone have any opinions on kitboxes as opposed to actual pigeon lofts ?....Im thinking of building something about 8 x 4 x 4 feet to house around 12 - 15 birds eventually,the box would go inside a big shed i have down the garden that i might take out a window and utilise as a trap.....well thanks again and any advice will be appreciated ;)

I kind of meant just the normal white doves what they use for dove release sort of things and an everyday pigeon,is there a difference apart from colour....i was given these as just white doves and have had them fly back from short distances....is there any reason a white dove wouldnt come back from distances a pigeon would come back from is i suppose what im asking ?.....and is there a difference visually.

i would not train the doves thay dont have the same homming ability as racers you may have been lucky up to now getting them back, start with a few yb racers use the doves to help settle them in,you say you have a large shed why not section off part of it for the birds.

I kind of meant just the normal white doves what they use for dove release sort of things and an everyday pigeon,is there a difference apart from colour....i was given these as just white doves and have had them fly back from short distances....is there any reason a white dove wouldnt come back from distances a pigeon would come back from is i suppose what im asking ?.....and is there a difference visually.

homing ability not as strong if (actual doves)

my wife has a dove release business ,however they are actually white racing pigeons .a few have won cards . :animatedpigeons:

i would not train the doves thay dont have the same homming ability as racers you may have been lucky up to now getting them back, start with a few yb racers use the doves to help settle them in,you say you have a large shed why not section off part of it for the birds.

Yes thats the plan ;)

So Andy if your wife uses white pigeons for dove release am i to presume visually there is no difference and one can pass for the other so to speak.......also is it like any other performance bred animal in that colour comes last,or do white racing pigeons stack up with any other racing pigeons ?

Yes thats the plan ;)

So Andy if your wife uses white pigeons for dove release am i to presume visually there is no difference and one can pass for the other so to speak.......also is it like any other performance bred animal in that colour comes last,or do white racing pigeons stack up with any other racing pigeons ?

there is a visible and character difference ,however the bride & groom are not aware of this (well rarely) .

ask my wife , the colour comes first .