Lets Talk Pigeons

walterboswell59

we seem to be getting bit stale and bogged down with the politics side of the sport guys so here is a we interest to get us back on the subject we care most about

pigeons every now and then a pigeon will do something out of the ordinary or different which if you are watching you will pick up on you can play on this we difference to kid the bird or just let the bird carry on kidding its self for instance the wee yearling hen that was 11 th open clermont was on the open bowl during the day and was flying out the loft up and over some 40 foot trees landing on waste ground picking up a twig up and over the trees and back to the loft this hen did this for weeks all day every day and i would take half the nest away every few days as it was getting far to big we have all seen cocks keen on building nests but i had never seen a hen so keen on building which made up my mind to send a yearling to 521 miles and she gave me a great effort another was a yrl late bred hen it was a hard newark race 220 odd miles and had sent my late breds with the intention of stoping them after newark as i waited on the birds i could see a pied coming from the noth east beat i thought coming from that direction the droped through the sputnic on to the ets pad then through the small hole into the loft after 10 mins i only had the one and walked to the loft to have a look at which late bred it was but i could not see her in the loft i was baffled were did she go i checked the other sections in case id been mistaken about which section she went in but i saw her go in the middle i went back to the ets clock was i dreaming no the hen was timed another bird landed and went in the middle section it was a lb cock i went back to the loft and the lb cock was gone what the f k was happening all the nest boxes were empty where were they then i heard the cooing my drinker sat on a plastic bottle crate there was a four inch gap in each side for hand grips and they had squezed under when i went with the clock the hen was 2nd club 2 section to my pal billy 99 my intention was to stop the latebreds at newark but it was the yearling derby from leicester 260 miles the next week the wee hen layed her 1st ever egg on the sunday and the sec on the tuesday on the friday at basketing time i was going through the yearlings trying to pick my poolers when the wee latebred hen came out for a pick of seed id put down i picked her up she was in great order kidding her self in her own wee world under the crate i sent her all pools club and fed she was 1st club 2nd sect yearling derby winning over 800 pounds club and fed i could tell you a few more but i would like you guys to tell us of birds doing something different and going on to put up a good performance dont be shy now

Hat was a good read mate av none first year racing this years grandad left me his doos my gran done them and first year we got first club second fed for charnock Richards cup she was only one in area to have a bird she didn't know it was there she was reading magi zone n if she knew we would have gt first she was beat by point seconds

Tht was in 1990 summit she won it

have a head full of stories , topped the fed many times ,yet its the first few years when still trying to learn that I remember with most affection .

started in 2004 racing a handful of yearling latebreds on natural .most were lost straight away due to my lack of knowledge ,yet 1 little blue hen went every week ,got a 5th and wasn't out of the top ten either .only sending 2 old hens each week .

in 2005 with the young,won first yb race ,timed in second and third yb race ,yet it was a Fed smash .I had 5 home ,stopped the 3 cocks due to only having 1 old cock .sent same 2 young hens for the next 5 races ,was laughed at weekly by the other club members ,me turning up with a small plastic box ,most still sending 20,30 or 40 youngsters .yet I timed in ,so carried on .last fed race was Picauville (France) 266 miles ,I sent the same 2 hens ,4th club &38th fed ,another smash , many didn't time ,including the club champ who had won 4 youngbird races .result = won the club yb trophy :animatedpigeons:

I first started the doos in 1976, I joined the local club which had about 15 lofts the following year, it was soon time to ring my first ever pair of ybs. I was so raw and a bit nervous, the first one which turned out to be a big long cast dark cock, I managed to break it's foot putting the ring on, my neighbour, advised me to dispose of it but being only a lad I did'nt have the heart to, it survived the training and went to every race, in the last yb race (think it was Burtonwood) he was the only bird timed in the club. As a yearling he had 3-4 races and I decided to send him to longest inland race (Dorchester). When I got to the club one or two smart comments were made about me throwing it away, A yearling going to the south coast? Thats a mistake son etc. Away he went, the birds were up and it was a right Dreich day, I timed him around tea time and again he was the only bird on the day in the club and took a fed ticket. That pigeon with its gammy leg raced and regularly won tickets for the next 3 or 4 years but was eventually lost. His nestmate, a beautiful blue hen also won but was killed by a cat. What strain? Both sire and dam were strays which I caught using a landing net on my pals roof.

Those were the days!

I mine do they sit on the roof all nite when a cat comes about the place,the cat doesnt even need to be in my garden they see it a couple of gardens down ,i have dogs running my garden so it doesnt come in,to me this is out of the ordinary as they never get used to it,another word for it is spooked,cracks me up big time,and sometimes fly all nite,they maybe dont see it often enough to get used to it,they fly open loft 24/7/365.

Never forget the Summer of 1997 ,I raced at the time at a farm on the outskirts of Moffat with unbroken views ,You could see the Cumbrian hills 50 plus miles away on a clear day

We had just raced from Cheltenham on the Saturday approx 250 mls ,I had dropped a yearling grizzle cock

When I returned home at lunchtime 12 noon on the Wednesday The couple from Wales and their friend came up for holidays and stayed next to my house in a static caravan which they owned

The husband Dave called to me Mike do you have a minute I will call the others out as what I am about to tell you is gospel ,We were sitting on the varanda this morning having breakfast and my wife noticed something move at the far end of the field We got the binoculars out and it was a pigeon that continued to walk towards us stopping frequently for a rest ,it finally made it to your garden but was unable to fly over the fence it then walked up under the gate into the field and up your driveway and round to your loft if you go look its a white coloured one

Sure was the grizzle cock at Deaths door ,I was going to set him by for the season but when he had recovered he took up with a young hen he raced the sky's with Her and came back into such wonderful condition I decided to enter him in the fed race from Sartilly ,There were only 5 timed on the night I clocked him next morning to win the first yearling in the club and a top 20 open prize

The effort that bird had made when walking from the Cheltenham race and the true distance he covered unable to fly lives with me to this Day

Suppose that's why I Never condem a bird from returning out of race time

Never forget the Summer of 1997 ,I raced at the time at a farm on the outskirts of Moffat with unbroken views ,You could see the Cumbrian hills 50 plus miles away on a clear day

We had just raced from Cheltenham on the Saturday approx 250 mls ,I had dropped a yearling grizzle cock

When I returned home at lunchtime 12 noon on the Wednesday The couple from Wales and their friend came up for holidays and stayed next to my house in a static caravan which they owned

The husband Dave called to me Mike do you have a minute I will call the others out as what I am about to tell you is gospel ,We were sitting on the varanda this morning having breakfast and my wife noticed something move at the far end of the field We got the binoculars out and it was a pigeon that continued to walk towards us stopping frequently for a rest ,it finally made it to your garden but was unable to fly over the fence it then walked up under the gate into the field and up your driveway and round to your loft if you go look its a white coloured one

Sure was the grizzle cock at Deaths door ,I was going to set him by for the season but when he had recovered he took up with a young hen he raced the sky's with Her and came back into such wonderful condition I decided to enter him in the fed race from Sartilly ,There were only 5 timed on the night I clocked him next morning to win the first yearling in the club and a top 20 open prize

The effort that bird had made when walking from the Cheltenham race and the true distance he covered unable to fly lives with me to this Day

Top stuff Mick

Once fed a Knackered yin frae Bourges wae syringe for a week!!! Best decision ever

Have nothing of the calibre of some but have 2yr old hen who was 2nd in club 5th in fed ,next day she went missing just like micks grizz 2days later she was seen walking up the dirt road by my neighbouer came home from work to find her sitting at front of loft ripped open ! She had hit wires while out flying , me and the missus put 14/16stiches in her , as a yearling she came and should have won race but for the muppet who owns her but took 2nd club 8th fed last season she won 1st club 5th or 6th fed so show faith for if they have the guts to come through we must believe in them .

Have nothing of the calibre of some but have 2yr old hen who was 2nd in club 5th in fed ,next day she went missing just like micks grizz 2days later she was seen walking up the dirt road by my neighbouer came home from work to find her sitting at front of loft ripped open ! She had hit wires while out flying , me and the missus put 14/16stiches in her , as a yearling she came and should have won race but for the muppet who owns her but took 2nd club 8th fed last season she won 1st club 5th or 6th fed so show faith for if they have the guts to come through we must believe in them .

Very good pigeon your stitching skills are better than mine all the best for 2014 with her .

good thread :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Walter's experience with his good yearling hen made me think of T.C Ogivlie's 'Trapping Hen'.

For me she is amongst the best birds to have flown in the country.

8 times from France

4 times in the top 2% Open SCC with her highest position being 3rd Open

4 times in the top 2% Open SNFC with her highest position being 9th Open

and 7 x 1st inland and I can't remember all her fed positions(a lot)

Whenever she started going to the field and bringing in sticks to the loft they'd put a few shillings on her :emoticon-0136-giggle:

There was one race from Sartilly with the SNFC where she arrived home with her mate-the pair of them were something like 15th and 16th Open if memory serves me well.

Top stuff Mick

Once fed a Knackered yin frae Bourges wae syringe for a week!!! Best decision ever

Great decision m8. :)

This is why we keep the doos mick! Fantastic. :partick-thistle-Crest:

• 1 month later...