Beans

peter pandy

It would appear to me and many posts that beans are only good for horses, toast and flatulence etc. So let us digress and open our minds to the common Bean.

It was the favoured feed either by itself or in mixtures up until the late seventies as all you old codgers are aware yet most went against it when foreign feed stuffs were displayed and we marvelled at the results the Europeans were obtaining from it. Widowhood etc birds had to be fed on it or results would not be forth coming. A no Bean mixture was the coming messiah feed and Beans were taboo.

I personally do not go along with the theory and scientific value of feedstuff to a pigeon purely due to the fact that for a diet to be balanced the individual bird has to have the precise amount of grain and if it perchance leaves a portion of any one or two grains then the balance has been disrupted. Europeans feed much Barley yet I have not observed many fanciers feeding it per se in any great amounts nor have feed suppliers been inundated with queeries or sales regarding same. One thing for sure is no Beans no distance.

I have in my experience reared a section of y/b on Beans only and the next door section on a proprietry foreign breeding diet. There appeared at first to be no differance in both sets in the nest at ten days however the bean fed youngsters were noticably more robust just prior to weaning, Another noticable feature was the Bean fed youngsters had stronger wider flights and a more muscular appearance with the vent bones less protruding.

The next round I switched the feeding and reared a round again which complied with the first.

The young birds were weaned into separate sections and fed either Beans or proprietry mixture to which they had been reared on trained and raced with the conclusion at the end of young bird racing being 40 reared on Beans 30 survived. 40 reared on breeding mix 8 survived which was pretty conclusive.

Their will always be the exception to the rule however I have proved to myself and myself is the only person that I have anything to prove to, is that I would always rear youngsters on nothing but Beans regardless of the knockers.

I always put a pot of beans in the nest box when the YBs start to find their feet. I believe it is the best feed out for YBs as long as they exercise well. When I used to race YBs properly (when I was younger) they were fed on a controlled hopper of beans and trapped with a mixture + red band. Feeding beans allows you to control the YBs easier with tit-bits, even with beans in their crop they will readily trap using a small amount of smaller seeds.

In those days my YBs, fed predominantly on beans, used to range extensively racing through the skies, rarely flying around the loft. They used to disappear for 40-50 mins on release. I have even raced evening mid-week races with the OBs while the YBs were away ranging.

• 2 months later...
Guest ghenty

This subject of beans has come up at the right time for me really. Looking at starting a distance team of birds and wanted to have them hopper fed whilst on an open hole but be bale to trap them still so can I assume that the birds will still trap to some trapping seed or peanuts as a tit-bit as well as whatever they are fed in the hopper? My thoughts are to keep feeding them as normal, once a day for example and still on open hole, until a week or two before "the main event" and then get the hopper down for them!

Guest LBuddle

This subject of beans has come up at the right time for me really. Looking at starting a distance team of birds and wanted to have them hopper fed whilst on an open hole but be bale to trap them still so can I assume that the birds will still trap to some trapping seed or peanuts as a tit-bit as well as whatever they are fed in the hopper? My thoughts are to keep feeding them as normal, once a day for example and still on open hole, until a week or two before "the main event" and then get the hopper down for them!

ALL of our pigeons are intended for 500 miles Plus races and they have NEVER seen a Bean in their life! We are realy not lovers of them as they are Far to high in Protein and take alot of effort for the birds to digest.

Lee.