Young Bird Sickness

tiger

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said and its not only that we have to contend with.Paratyhiod is also rife you only have to look at some of the pigeons being put through marking stations with the weight dropping from them and the guys who know they have problems just keep sending.

Well said and its not only that we have to contend with.Paratyhiod is also rife you only have to look at some of the pigeons being put through marking stations with the weight dropping from them and the guys who know they have problems just keep sending.

That's why clubs have basketing comities , to ensure birds are healthy before putting in a basket , I would urge all clubs to try and fill baskets one at a time to reduce cross contamination from loft to loft . The argument would be we like them mixed up , they are at the point they leave the basket :)

That's why clubs have basketing comities , to ensure birds are healthy before putting in a basket , I would urge all clubs to try and fill baskets one at a time to reduce cross contamination from loft to loft . The argument would be we like them mixed up , they are at the point they leave the basket :)

Our club started to allocate baskets to each member some years ago,where a baskets was not full fanciers would ask each other if it was OK. to mix.Answer yes/no,we also pay £1:00 basket space/member which helps with debits when a basket is not full.

Lindsay

Our club started to allocate baskets to each member some years ago,where a baskets was not full fanciers would ask each other if it was OK. to mix.Answer yes/no,we also pay £1:00 basket space/member which helps with debits when a basket is not full.

Lindsay

good forward thinking club you Have there Lindsay any good fancier would pay to keep there basket there own :)

WELL IF THAT S THE CASE AND YOU KNOW IT WHY ARE YOU ALLOWING IT TO GO ON ????

WELL IF THAT S THE CASE AND YOU KNOW IT WHY ARE YOU ALLOWING IT TO GO ON ????

you cant knock back a pigeon for being on the light side but could a club rule be made to knock back pigeons that have a crops full of grub?

Guest Davy Fleming

Must agree entirely regarding single baskets but if someone tells you they have treated and treatment is now finished and birds handle and look ok where do you call the shots. Very complex and difficult situation to find yourself in . There MUST be something very definitive, in place and quite clear to be able to tell a member he can't send them. The Club President doesn't have the authority to say they can or can't go when it comes to healthy looking youngsters, whether they are healthy inside is another matter for probably only the fancier himself knows and be it on his own head.

Agree entirely with the reasons but not as clearcut as one may think but stand to be corrected.

after the race

i think myself that after 20yrs of this virus doing it's rounds federations don't do anything to help fanciers with this ailment and are miles down the road before fanciers get their birds fit to race again and fanciers are not willing to "jump" young birds 100mls or so most fanciers get it just before the 1st race or after the 1st race so by the time you treat/rest the young birds minimum 2 wks after treatment their seasons over,i put a proposal a few years ago into my own fed which was accepted and that was that we raced the first 3 races i.e coldsream.coldstream,otterburn and after the first 3 races we came back to the start and started again .with a bit of tweaking i think we endeded up with coldsream,otterburn,otterburn then back to coldstream,otterburn and then carried on the programme it was a total success with plenty of experienced young birds left at the end of the year what happened the following agm the horse them down the road brigade got it changed back so what can we do :emoticon-0179-headbang:

Guest KING BILLY

your a right expert on paratyhiod now wee could make you the basket convener and you could pick them out for the boys

:emoticon-0179-headbang: will the guys who have the young bird sickness please re frame from sending ybs two the races , your causing problems for others ? :emoticon-0179-headbang:

i am big enough to say i have struggled with ybs this year , it has been 3 weeks since any of my birds have shown signs of it . so i sent on sat , the only thing anyone could say about my birds was they were carrying a bit to much weight ! i got hammered 3/17 home and they were fooked ,i challenge anyone to come to my lofts and look at my yb team and tell me i have had ybs .

i handled a lot of birds on friday that were worse than mine . you can`t tell but honesty would help .

Lindsay

this is a great idea but you would need a birdage limit as a couple in our club would need 4 baskets each .

Must agree entirely regarding single baskets but if someone tells you they have treated and treatment is now finished and birds handle and look ok where do you call the shots. Very complex and difficult situation to find yourself in . There MUST be something very definitive, in place and quite clear to be able to tell a member he can't send them. The Club President doesn't have the authority to say they can or can't go when it comes to healthy looking youngsters, whether they are healthy inside is another matter for probably only the fancier himself knows and be it on his own head.

Agree entirely with the reasons but not as clearcut as one may think but stand to be corrected.

some of your members wouldnt even know if they had anything wrong jmo