Young Bird Sickness

tiger

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prevention, didnae say CURE, but better to prevent.

Vaccination for PMV will dae neither mate! Wish somebody would come up wae yin tho???? Is it a yeast infection gone mad or summit else???? Who knows?

Its my opinion that its inherent and stress triggers it off. Any treatment you care to name doesn't cure it it just stops the possibility of a secondary infection taking hold whilst the pigeons are in a weakened state. Prevention? there's none!

Its my opinion that its inherent and stress triggers it off. Any treatment you care to name doesn't cure it it just stops the possibility of a secondary infection taking hold whilst the pigeons are in a weakened state. Prevention? there's none!

BANG ON!

if yur young yins are treated for the correct thing, then why bother what others send..

you must be the only guy in pigeons that can prevent ybs !

i have and do

pmv done

cider vin done 2 days a week

testing done twice before racing

disinfect done virkon s and stalosan used regurarly

i feed 2 kinds of versel laga and get matrix twice a week

probiotic done also twice a week

they should be in super condition but i still got the fooker and as for colostrum i tried that and it is as much good as the Jambo`s lol

BANG ON!

Agreed :) I've not heard or read a away to prevent it as yet :( whoever does will be a clever chap , have seen some say use cider vinegar and some say lime water , have to say the lime seems to neutralise it better for me with some cinnamon tea , then a light feed with live natural yoghurt on :)

Why a limit,if they pay for four baskets the more the merrier.They would still fill four if they were mixed????

our transporter had 1 space on friday 25 bird limit if 1 guy sends 80 he uses 4 baskets means an incapacity of 20 birds next guy sends 70 incapacity of 5 so you lose a basket on transporter and so on . but i am in favor of it

As a matter of coarse every couple of days I put cider vinegar in the drinkers, I have had a few go back the way and look terrible so they went straight in the bin

as a matter of coarse i think most of us cull some ybs but as mark gilbert says he leaves them so the flock get it done and over with ,

Tend to agree with you that it must already be hidden 'in' the bird and that stress triggers the 'visible' illness. But IMO the 'visible' illness is secondary infections, and that's all that folks are treating, as the primary viral infection is dormant in the bird waiting to infect the next generation in the egg. So there is a preventative treatment - culling. I believe there is a test for the virus, but not sure of the cost.

as a matter of coarse i think most of us cull some ybs but as mark gilbert says he leaves them so the flock get it done and over with ,

Aye and Mark Gilbert has deep pockets wae a nice big lovely stock loft to replace youngins year after year

His results dont lie though :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Y.B.S = ADENOVIRUS, This means its a virus and if you went to the docs with a virus, he wouldnt and couldnt give you anything for it. Antibiotics are no use for YBS.It may be used for a secondary illness but not for YBS. Ive found that adenosan on the feed helps to stabilise the bile in the gut that is created by YBS. Mind ye, most of them come through it with light feed and vits in water.

Y.B.S = ADENOVIRUS, This means its a virus and if you went to the docs with a virus, he wouldnt and couldnt give you anything for it. Antibiotics are no use for YBS.It may be used for a secondary illness but not for YBS. Ive found that adenosan on the feed helps to stabilise the bile in the gut that is created by YBS. Mind ye, most of them come through it with light feed and vits in water.

HE WID GIVE YE PARACETAMOLS AND TELL YE TO DRINK AND p*ss REGULAR :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl: IN YOUR CASE THAT WOULD MEAN EKYS AND ALCOHOL :egyptian::santa-dance::emoticon-0140-rofl:

Tend to agree with you that it must already be hidden 'in' the bird and that stress triggers the 'visible' illness. But IMO the 'visible' illness is secondary infections, and that's all that folks are treating, as the primary viral infection is dormant in the bird waiting to infect the next generation in the egg. So there is a preventative treatment - culling. I believe there is a test for the virus, but not sure of the cost.

What i can't figure out is my birds first contacted ybs 3 years ago from gifted birds ,i had it last year and now again this ,but i have never reared a youngster from any of my race team for 3 years now ,so it cant be getting passed through the egg ,this one's got me stumped :emoticon-0138-thinking:

What i can't figure out is my birds first contacted ybs 3 years ago from gifted birds ,i had it last year and now again this ,but i have never reared a youngster from any of my race team for 3 years now ,so it cant be getting passed through the egg ,this one's got me stumped :emoticon-0138-thinking:

WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT MICK JUST DEAL WAY IT IF AND WHEN IT REARS ITS UGLY NAPPER :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:

The other way for viral infection to spread amongst the birds is through shedding. An infected bird will shed virus throughout the loft. The virus most associated with YBS is circovirus, the pigeon-equivalent of the human AIDS virus, and it does much the same, it destroys the young bird's immune system, probably while its still developing inside the egg, and the result is just a little stress and the bird comes down with all those secondary illnesses .

WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT MICK JUST DEAL WAY IT IF AND WHEN IT REARS ITS UGLY NAPPER :emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:

Got it sorted ,put powder in water gave them a charcoal tablet starved them for 48 hours walked them into an empty section tonight whilst i cleaned there section added loft white and went over everything with a blow torch ,put medicated water back down put light feed of seed in troughs and when i opened the section door and whistled it was charge of the light brigade ,hope to see marked improvement in the morning ,then not make same mistake as previous and give them at least 2 weeks min to recover :emoticon-0157-sun:

Got it sorted ,put powder in water gave them a charcoal tablet starved them for 48 hours walked them into an empty section tonight whilst i cleaned there section added loft white and went over everything with a blow torch ,put medicated water back down put light feed of seed in troughs and when i opened the section door and whistled it was charge of the light brigade ,hope to see marked improvement in the morning ,then not make same mistake as previous and give them at least 2 weeks min to recover :emoticon-0157-sun:

how are they now :emoticon-0138-thinking:

how are they now :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Much better thanks with droppings starting to improve ,but long way to go yet ,some are recovering much better than others the birds that made a supreme effort to home on Sunday are sorry states but they have until next spring to recover suppose they are lucky that the one thing i was blessed with was Patience :emoticon-0157-sun:

Our club started to allocate baskets to each member some years ago,where a baskets was not full fanciers would ask each other if it was OK. to mix.Answer yes/no,we also pay £1:00 basket space/member which helps with debits when a basket is not full.

Lindsay

GREAT IDEA LINDSAY !