When is a youngbird not a Youngbird?

Chairman

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one have always tried to debate in the correct manner, and if decisions are put to a vote then I am always prepared to go with the majority. In this instance, based on the response of just a few, if this went to the ruling bodies for a rule to be made regarding this issue and voted upon,  the vast majority would be against this practice, I am certain.

if this is allowed to happen where does it end ,if anybody came to my club with 2 rings on from diferent years it would be simple remove one or they dont go  end of story, joe61 its these bending of rules thats spoiling the sport, like the ets  ,in  the confinds of loft etc . if you want THE EDGE work harder at your birds ( oh happy days) ,whats that all about ? nobody's happy with this sort of cheating, sorry bending the rules

I would just like to add that in 50 years of racing and being an active member of the clubs I have belonged to, I have to say hand on heart I have never seen a pigeon go through a marking station with two rings on of differing years. SO I have to say Joe, it is NOT common practice wherever I have been.

if it has a 2009 ring on it, it's a young bird, by putting rings with different years on it could cause problems when it is an old bird,yearling races etc, could be not accepted in races with the 2 rings on it, with different years ,

Yes Fifer, but the crafty beggers cut the old ring off after young bird racing, so in my opinion are being deceitful, otherwise WHY cut of the old ring???

kirky that is rubbish if one ring is covered then there is only one ring to read if a bird has 2 rings does not matter as long as only 1 is readable some of you are behind the times on this  

oh happy days

if you are under rpra rules try ringing your local region.

theres nothing stopping anyone from racing their young birds with old birds ,if the club allows it,but why have 2 rings on from different years that baffles me. AND  anyone what condones this practice needs watching , for i think they would do anything to see ther name at top of result and i meen ANYTHING

I don't think they is that much of a advantage to get out of racing young birds with the old birds a man can train his birds 50miles to 200miles and they will have had the same schooling as the rest its down to how much training you give your birds.  :P

training your birds yourself does not have the advantage that race birds do, thay are not away overnight, not in a mass liberation, do not have to learn to break from batches at home end.

In my area they are 500 to 1000 birds on trainer at one time in my area so getting them to brake out is not a hard thing.

The bloke that has his birds training in ones and twos from a good distance will always get them coming better from fed races.

They fly in front of the big packs. plus they have lost the crap birds before the racing start so they do not cost you lots sending to club.

In reply to this double ringing  of young birds,This is surely not legal as you should put complete ring numbers on your race entry sheet this would include both rings and therfore the bird would be disqualified from both OB and YB racing. Only any age races could the bird qualify but not for prizes within this race that are age related just the same as a cock cannot fly for hens prizes and visa versa.

The following RPRA rules should give you an idea I did think that there was a rule that said that all race sheets should have the complete ring numbers of each pigeon entered. I have not found it but many other clubs have a domestic rule covering this.

120. Each Club shall keep a record for a

minimum of two years showing the full ring

number, colour, sex and owner’s name of

every pigeon sent in races organised by the

Club, whether competing or not.

178. In no circumstances may the details of

the full ring number, colour, sex and owners’

name of every pigeon sent in a race arranged

by an Organisation be destroyed less than two

years after the date of the race.

Hope this helps. As chairman of my own club I would rule this practice out of order subject to appeal of course!

Regards

Bob Pickering

A member of our club has rung his 2009 youngsters with 2 rings. A Old ring from 2008 and a New ring from 2009.

He says he is going to train these early bred youngsters up and enter them into the old bird races upto the coast.

He says he is correct to do so because the RPRA Rules allow him to do so, as the rules states that its is the ring and NOT the bird that is entered into the race. I said that they would be skinned alive being basketed alongside the mature widowhood cocks and he said that all his youngsters would be classified as hens and be basketed with the old hens.

So I want your opinion on this thread, It does not stop there though as later on in the season he has told me that he will cut the old ring off their legs and compete with the same birds in the young bird races the only difference would be is that his youngsters have already raced down to the coast and most probably be flown on widowhood. have you heard of this before in your own areas??

Been done for quite a while now. Also our fed allows y/b's to fly with the Old Birds last 2 or 3 races.

Simple reality is that a y/b WILL beat a old birds time after time. It is glory seeking for cards etc. I personally don't like it, but then who am I...

It also make a farce of the old timers, and still some to day, that put hens in with youngsters to 'Show them the way home' Our convoyer stated - when we sent youngsters as trainers in the South Rd. club, that the young birds were up away way before the old hens / cockbirds

Nothing wrong with any age races ,you are breaking rules if you allow young birds  to race for prizes in the Old bird program just the same as sending old birds to young bird races.

Remember complete ring numbers must be put on race enry sheets! (BOTH RINGS).

Regards

Bob Pickering

i agree and ets chip will only record one ring.

It been going on down here for years,just tape up the youngbird ring in the oldbird season,best way to get youngsters across channel first couple of times  with the oldbirds steadying them up,better doing that than having your birds in the disasters club/fed flyers get each year with the youngsters1st water race,which scares them s***less,and they will just go back and forward along the coast.

i know a few top flyers tried to ban this ideal 7-8 years ago in the NFC,but it was threwout and never passed ,might be different now,

Just read through this thread as just got back in.

If basket commitee let any bird go through with a

taped up ring they are not doing their job.the queston should be asked[ WHY]

Young birds can be raced with old birds if club & fed allow,

this sometimes happens in the last few old bird races at short distances

what some of you lot are posting is about what you would like to do what ever you would like to do and talk about this till the cows come home it has been done is still being done and will carry on being done untill the rules are changed so get over it because at the moment it is LEGAL

oh happy days