When is a youngbird not a Youngbird?

Chairman

A member of our club has rung his 2009 youngsters with 2 rings. A Old ring from 2008 and a New ring from 2009.

He says he is going to train these early bred youngsters up and enter them into the old bird races upto the coast.

He says he is correct to do so because the RPRA Rules allow him to do so, as the rules states that its is the ring and NOT the bird that is entered into the race. I said that they would be skinned alive being basketed alongside the mature widowhood cocks and he said that all his youngsters would be classified as hens and be basketed with the old hens.

So I want your opinion on this thread, It does not stop there though as later on in the season he has told me that he will cut the old ring off their legs and compete with the same birds in the young bird races the only difference would be is that his youngsters have already raced down to the coast and most probably be flown on widowhood. have you heard of this before in your own areas??

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with grizzal. The fact that a pigeon is wearing a current year closed ring defines its age and is therefore a young bird, irrespective of what other year ring it is also wearing. If however a 2009 bred youngster is wearing a 2008 or older ring only, it will be classed as an Old Bird and will only be eligible to race the Old Bird program, and not compete for honours in the young bird program. So in my opinion the member of your club has misinterpreted the rules to try and gain an advantage. If he wishes to race his current year bred youngsters in the old bird program, then the club should treat those birds as 'old birds' and not allow his young cocks to race in the hens basket as there may be fanciers who race widowhood hens.

i think if this guy were to bring his birds to our club he would be told were to take his youngbirds during the old bird programme,

on a rule basis i dont think with an young bird ring on this stipulates the year of birth and would be classed as a young bird, surley a simple call to the officiating union would clear this up one way or the other, but as i see it it would be a major bending of the rules if it were allowed..

:)its true because its got a old ring on he can race it guys cant see the point but its true

Not disputing the fact that he can send them, but they must be classed as an OB in the OB program and treated as such. Cocks with Cocks and NOT put in with the hens. They also bear 2009 rings so should not be eligible to race for the OB spoils.

Exactly my point. If memory serves me right I think the whole idea of colour coding rings by the various unions was to make identification easier. Also I'm sure I am right in saying that if a bird is wearing 2 rings, BOTH should be entered on the race entry form. Therefore a current year ring number appearing on an OLD BIRD race entry form denoted that the bird is a youngster.

had the same problem with a member several years ago, contacted north east region thay said one ring had to be removed, it is the ring that is raced not the bird, but with it carring two rings of differant years it can not be defined wot ring it is flying under. the same member contacted contacted the midlands national to see if he could fly them in ob races thay said no,

Well IF this is what pigeon racing is coming too, people DELIBERATELY bending the rules to suit themselves, then I am glad my days in this so called hobby are drawing to a close. How any one can blatantly advocate the bending of rules by a cheat is beyond me. OH HAPPY DAYS

Guest Hjaltland
had the same problem with a member several years ago, contacted north east region thay said one ring had to be removed, it is the ring that is raced not the bird, but with it carring two rings of differant years it can not be defined wot ring it is flying under.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious the bird is a yb, the older ring would have been meaningless..

What do you mean we are not as UP as you on bending the rules to suit. I will be contacting the RPRA for a definitive answer to this situation and will post when I get a response.

Guest Hjaltland
Used to go on regular in the LNRC, one a club ring and the other a futurity,

Yes but surely these rings would have been for the same year?  This posting was about birds sporting diffrent year class rings