Scottish National Performances..

Guest JonesyBhoy

Guest JonesyBhoy

Right theres a lot of older fanciers on here who have a great knowledge and memory of the Scottish National racing scene going back many years... (something which fascinantes me)..

What in your opinions are the best ever performances..?? Dosen't  necessarily have to be a National winner.. just looking for really top performances..

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JonesyBhoy
one from your own fed . cheltenham snfc yb nat William kerr bishopbriggs

2nd west sect 2nd open in a nw wind on a horrible day  flying the furthest n w  on the day ;)

What year was this mate..??

"Honest Lass"  The property of Mr J. Wallace, Ayr.  1st Open Scottish National Flying Club Avranches, 1977.

Within three weeks the S.N.F.C. Avranches race was won by Jock Wallace of Ayr a mere 2 or 3 miles from the Mossblown Lofts of R.L.Whyte. It was a proud Jock whom I interviewed after his success and a tribute to his Mealy Cock "Honest Man" who was grand-sire of his Red Chequer Hen "Honest Lass" which beat 4,927 entries, 1229 velocity.

Now living in Stewarton, Matt White & Son won the 1980 Rennes race with a Mealy Hen he named "Scotch Queen" and was the only West Section pigeon on the night. Matt had another first, i.e., on Colour Breeding, he bred the unique family of Barless Blues which caused quite a stir with those who studied genetics at that time.

S.N.F.C. Sartilly (No.1) in 1992 was won by Joe Murphy & Son of Fife.  Joe scribed for the B.H.W. for a few years and when the official result was known duly congratulated Stewart Divett of Stewarton who was 1st Section, 2nd Open. This was a Blue Cock bred from a pair of birds his wife purchased from Jim Paterson as a Christmas present for Stewart.

Six years have now passed since we have managed a Region winner from the Nationals. Perhaps this reflects on the decline in membership which is across the sport in the U.K. but in particular here in the West of Scotland. Lets hope the stalwarts who keep sending hit the jackpot ere long with one of their Brave-Heart pigeons.

The A.R.B. Trophy is akin to the football Sportsman of the Year Award. It is a lovely silver salver put up in memory of that great lady of our sport Anne Ross Bowes who was first and foremost a top fancier who wrote a column for the British Homing World. To win this award you have to be nominated and a panel of Top fanciers then judge the nominees by their race performances, what they have done on the administration side or simply someone who works away in the background in other words a fancier who has put something into the sport. In 1981 yours truly was the choice of the panel of judges possibly via performances and bringing the sport to the fancy through my weekly articles in "The Racing Pigeon". Whatever it was it gave me great pleasure as I looked on this award as something the fancy thought of the recipient, to date the youngest person to win this award.

Glad to see the Stewart Divett's pigeon being mentioned here.

That was an awsome performance into the west with the odds stacked against the bird.

Yes I believe the breeding was JP's Stoddarts. Good hardy birds.

A friend of mine was gifted this cock last year and he said it was still filling eggs at 19 years of age.

The performance of Hotrod's pigeon Karen's Girl should also be mentioned as that was also a stunning performance against the odds.

Sartiily 1 13th June 1992 Stewart Divitt Stewarton Ayrshire 1st west section 2nd open beaten by Joe Murphy & son Kirkcaldy Mystical Rose . 932 members sent 3293 birds. Liberated at 05.45  light north wind.

Remember this race very well as I won 7th Open into Kirkintilloch. The first 7 birds were right across the country from east to west, imo this was a great win by Joe Murphy . ps, Think stb was 29th Open that day ;)

Guest JonesyBhoy
Eddie Newcombe,1st,2nd,and 3rd open averanches 1980,one of many great performances by the master of SNFC racing.

Im assuming this is the only time this has been done..??

does anyone else have stoddarts bred like S Divotts.

I know where the second National cock was last year. About 5 miles from me.

I think Charlie Mc Kerrow of Crosshouse club bay have some Stoddarts remaining.

Not many as he has a few Mc Aloney birds now.

Charlie worked with Divett

"Honest Lass"  The property of Mr J. Wallace, Ayr.  1st Open Scottish National Flying Club Avranches, 1977.

Within three weeks the S.N.F.C. Avranches race was won by Jock Wallace of Ayr a mere 2 or 3 miles from the Mossblown Lofts of R.L.Whyte. It was a proud Jock whom I interviewed after his success and a tribute to his Mealy Cock "Honest Man" who was grand-sire of his Red Chequer Hen "Honest Lass" which beat 4,927 entries, 1229 velocity.

Now living in Stewarton, Matt White & Son won the 1980 Rennes race with a Mealy Hen he named "Scotch Queen" and was the only West Section pigeon on the night. Matt had another first, i.e., on Colour Breeding, he bred the unique family of Barless Blues which caused quite a stir with those who studied genetics at that time.Your wrong there plenty doos into the west that day scotch queen won the nat.

S.N.F.C. Sartilly (No.1) in 1992 was won by Joe Murphy & Son of Fife.  Joe scribed for the B.H.W. for a few years and when the official result was known duly congratulated Stewart Divett of Stewarton who was 1st Section, 2nd Open. This was a Blue Cock bred from a pair of birds his wife purchased from Jim Paterson as a Christmas present for Stewart.

Six years have now passed since we have managed a Region winner from the Nationals. Perhaps this reflects on the decline in membership which is across the sport in the U.K. but in particular here in the West of Scotland. Lets hope the stalwarts who keep sending hit the jackpot ere long with one of their Brave-Heart pigeons.

The A.R.B. Trophy is akin to the football Sportsman of the Year Award. It is a lovely silver salver put up in memory of that great lady of our sport Anne Ross Bowes who was first and foremost a top fancier who wrote a column for the British Homing World. To win this award you have to be nominated and a panel of Top fanciers then judge the nominees by their race performances, what they have done on the administration side or simply someone who works away in the background in other words a fancier who has put something into the sport. In 1981 yours truly was the choice of the panel of judges possibly via performances and bringing the sport to the fancy through my weekly articles in "The Racing Pigeon". Whatever it was it gave me great pleasure as I looked on this award as something the fancy thought of the recipient, to date the youngest person to win this award.

Jock Poole              Newmains 1St Open SNFC   Rennes Vel;-893 1975 (Only Pigeon on the day) Braedale Queen. ;) ;) ;)

Jock McGhie & Son  Newmains 1St Open SNFC    Nantes Vel;- ??? 1998 Firpark. ;) ;) ;)

Sadly they have passed away tae the Dookit in the Sky.

God Bless

Big Ian is sadly missed by all his mates in the Masonic Corner.

Guest JonesyBhoy
did nash of croy win rennes with daffy,s delight i think 70,s

Yeah that was spoke about last night.. 1966.. bred by Jock Reid, Stenhousemuir..

1973 they were 2nd West Sec, 4th Open

did nash of croy win rennes with daffy,s delight i think 70,s

Daphnes Delight won the main event in 1966 and the whole of Croy were out in the streets celebrating ;) Thats back when pigeon racing didnt have as many jealous people. Indeed, the 1960s- 1970s saw the west section win Rennes a few times. Last was Matt White in 1980