Yb Racing, Time For A Change.

Delboy

Obviously you do not understand the enemy Mr Boswell ? Like Iv said a million time on here these birds are able to hunt a wide variety of prey ! Ok I’m not saying filling the sky every weekend during the Racing season is not beneficial to them of coarse it is but they are not going to curl up and die if we cease Racing they will easily hunt and thrive on other species until we decide to race again !!

i agree m8 but its better than doing nothing and hoping things will get better not enough people or support to do it the way it should be done and i understand the enemy perfectly well enough to know if we do nothing our sport is over so whats your solution or do we just keep saying that wont work trying anything is better than doing nothing but jmo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter a thought you would no better stop racing for 5 years won't make the slytest bit o difference, Percy lives to 15-20 years and will feed it's self no probs, what do you think they eat in winter when most of the fancy shut up shop, there survivers and good at it, JMO

yes pal but less food and a hard winter might get rid of some and that can only be a good thing if anyone has a better idea lets hear it we must try to help ourselves as no one else will you know 95 percent of the fancy want to moan about the problem but do nothing to help

First things first. Every fed has to rethink their programs OR act in another way to save the sport. If neither of these things are done then we, the pigeon fancy, do not want the sport to last. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS !!!

Off course. It is the simplest of starting. Grass roots need to make these so called custodians aware that Time enough. They must Crap or get off the pot. Next club meting such should be passed at all clubs and sent to the Federations.

Nothing ventured, nothing gain! At least is only a slight decrease of birds being fed to the B.O.P. AT least y/b losses would degrease by a very large extent. That in it's self is a bonus.

Ok so have i missed some thing here ,what have you decided upon ,whats the way forward to change things ,because after all the posts i certainly am non the wiser on how to solve the problem of the tremendous losses we suffer .

philg50 simple answer is Nothing. All say and moan about Losses for example... None hardly will even entertain a program change - rather moan I guess. Then the soothsayer spouts 'It won't work' or anything a long as it doesn't mean a change, a hick cup to what they have always done... and will carry on doing so regardless. Fact is Y/b losses get worse every year. We can / could help that! B.O.P. problem harder for sure. But surely a couple of things can be changed and tried. Rotation of Lib sites, especially where the Percy queues up to have fun showing it's young how to slaughter our so called beloved pigeons. Later breeding and start of racing... still would get 24 races plus nationals! What more do the so called bird lover want?! Most are after a needless march or frightened a club mate will get one. Truth is in reality that doesn't happen, it's all in the mind. Put old birds on the 'Dark System... or light!

Training days not really needed, but there are gaps where Percy isn't so active. Train in the rain for instance if you must train. It would make a better and hardier pigeon and breed more genuine pigeons that's for sure.

No! Let's stay as we are and wait for some one else to do something THAT DOESN'T entail US doing anything. I should co -co..

i agree m8 but its better than doing nothing and hoping things will get better not enough people or support to do it the way it should be done and i understand the enemy perfectly well enough to know if we do nothing our sport is over so whats your solution or do we just keep saying that wont work trying anything is better than doing nothing but jmo

It ain’t better than doing nothing Walter for all the good it would do !! Like p*ssing into the Wind !! As for my solution ? Post #67 its the only way !!

yes pal but less food and a hard winter might get rid of some and that can only be a good thing if anyone has a better idea lets hear it we must try to help ourselves as no one else will you know 95 percent of the fancy want to moan about the problem but do nothing to help

Well old pal, your right about one thing sitting on the hands crying dont do nothing but wet the bib, you would think the no gooders and the fancy could get together and investment something that you could put on the doo that would make it taste bad enough that it would stop predation on them and not damage Percy so in a couple of years we could get back to decentd racing, ,

How come with all the viruses going arround pigeons including pmv the falcons or hawks dont come down with them...also the amount of meds going into birds surely should affect birds that keep eating them....I read an artical about vultures in india that died after eating old cows that had died and been treat with volterol for arthritis. Afected them after ingesting it over a certain period of time.

Won't name names of course, nor where about or 'Whom'. Plus I'm not avocating it, or endorsing it! Any way

It came to my attention - not my area either, in fact a 100 miles away. - A certain fellow came to show, he was capable of clearing a certain area of Raptures etc.

Was a couple of draw backs though. One - Obviously- no one else except the go between would know whom he was. Makes perfect sense in reality, and B. When! Again obvious why. It was explain that the guy was constantly on the move etc. Again with good reason.Cost would be £400. So the 30 members had to cough up £400. £15 EACH.

First off all was in favour! Within a week moans arose. Will he do it? Can it be done? What if we never see an improvement? Does he have references?! Well where does he actually live! Could you believe it! and much more. Was just 2, and a maybe that would chance the £15! Less than most bags of feed.

It was decided that they would wait! That someone else, or something different would come along FREE!

Now there they are wishing, and arguing, whether they should have chanced the £15!

Now most would / will say 'Great! I'd give the £15 no doubt about it! etc.

I say look in the mirror, the same would happen in most cases. Yes apparently a few have benefitted, took the chance of losing £15 ... Indeed othet clubs in the area would also automatically have benifitted ... That was another argument that THEY too should pay so much too... I'd wager even at a fiver it would be turned down!

A fellow on here, no names obviously, smailes when reading these topics! He doesn't race pigeons, but has Roller or such. Percys favourite apparently. Why does he and co smile? I/ we don't have a problem of Percy and never have. Because he says, they are sorted as soon as they come. Nothing said, never a brag, but a peaceful goings on in the main!

Like I say only ever heard of two Peregrines here about. Goshawks a couple peeing some off and the S/H. sO WE ARE LUCKY OR BLESSED.

I still say if many years back, before the problem got to large, Bilco was right. But had as much chance then as now of one looking after their own interest. But then that's another topic.

Edited by Roland

• 9 months later...

The last few years the weather in September and October has been fantastic and this trend is set to continue due to global warming etc. I think its time to change our thinking regarding yb racing.I think we could run 2 yb programs, the traditional one from July to Sept and another from the start of Sept to the end of October/start November.You could half your yb team and send to both programs .The later program helps with avoiding the hawk problem and will make it easier for natural ybs to complete the program without being darkened. The race program meetings will be coming up very soon and this, in my opinion, is definitely food for thought and hopefully will be discussed.

we had this discussion last year and still doing the same this year

we had this discussion last year and still doing the same this year

Yes m8, do the same, get the same. Ive actually came to the conclusion that the pigeon fraternity love grief. Same old sh ite every year, running the gauntlet and our doos getting ripped to pieces on their quest to get home. Use yer brains expletive remove, if we sort the problem then it would save every one of you a fortune in feeding, birdage, medication, products etc etc.

Edited by Delboy

• 1 month later...

The last few years the weather in September and October has been fantastic and this trend is set to continue due to global warming etc. I think its time to change our thinking regarding yb racing.I think we could run 2 yb programs, the traditional one from July to Sept and another from the start of Sept to the end of October/start November.You could half your yb team and send to both programs .The later program helps with avoiding the hawk problem and will make it easier for natural ybs to complete the program without being darkened. The race program meetings will be coming up very soon and this, in my opinion, is definitely food for thought and hopefully will be discussed.

I would like to see the later the better and starve them so would go for October for ybs instead off still feeding the family in July Aug.hope Lanarkshire goes for this time will tell .

I would like to see the later the better and starve them so would go for October for ybs instead off still feeding the family in July Aug.hope Lanarkshire goes for this time will tell .

Breed what young birds that you need to replace O.B losses and forget about young bird racing for a year maybe two years, starve the bas--rds for a year or two and see what the result is. I know you will say that the season is short enough until the first two YB races and losses are horrendous, then we are all moaning.What is the point of breeding hundreds of YBs year after year and being left with maybe a quarter of them? I fear that I will live long enough to see the end of pigeon racing.The amount of competitors and the amount of birds being sent to the races is diminishing and will soon become uneconomic, if not already.I am a small team man and never breed more than 30 YBs.At the beginning of the season I may think that I have a couple that could go to the Gold Cup race, but by the time that comes along they have most likely been damaged and are not fit to go,I don't loose a lot but if they have had a bad go I am out of the game.I know there is a lot of animosity in the fancy about the SNFC having 2 inland races.These are the only races that show a profit;without which the SNFC wouldn't last 5 years, when you see the number of entries and how far the prize and pool money goes, its hardly worth while entering unless you believe in fairies.Gone are the days of 7000 birds and hope for all of getting on the result.I am not a well known fancier and my successful days are in the past when I could get a good result in Lanarkshire Fed from Dorchester ,Hastings,Fareham etc in open races.If I didn't like pigeons I probably wouldn't still have them.I've had a wee drink tonight, hence the rant.It might be a lot of sh--e but it's how I see things.Good night!

I wouid like to see any and all interested in trying for an improvement P.m. Delboy with A. Any thoughts that they feel might help. B. a realistic voice saying I will, count me as being 'standing up and counted'.

Others just never ebr bother to say oat especially nary another whinge or moan ever.

In reply to Andy's thoughts regards 'Grass roots' the simple fact is , IF clubs voted for change at Fed level It would change 100% a certainty. Likewise if now the clubs / members etc. asked the National clubs to take on board what the MEMBERS / Payers want, that too will / would be the case. especially if they knew the dates and libs not wanted would mean empty lorries. they want the trade! Need our money... Whereas we need to get some thoughts together NOW! and put forward.

I see nearly 9.000 replies and views on this topic. In the main saying and stating the problems within the so-called sport - It isn't recognised as a sport actually by DAFRA and Government departments, BUT, as 'live Stock', probably because in times gone by the 'Pigeon' was a food sauce for the serves/workers as such, and still is! Hence why V.AT. Pigeon keepers are exempt from paying V.A.T. of their feeds etc.

I digress. This topic has proven as many seasons before, that there is, and are, numerous changes that may help. Indeed certainly nothing to lose by trying. So, as I see it, the fancier's apathy abounds yet again.

They are divided by One! The moaners who aren't willing to listen and RAISE a hand to help, let alone go to club meetings unless going to argue for more prize money.

Two! Those who mostly Boo - Hoo any changes though saying the sport is dying and … stuff it!

Along with those that say they would … however, don't! Using the let out is 'I would, but It's the others who won't" syndrome.

Moreover, Three: Many who would, and will, but need a little support. Support! from so-called fellow fanciers!

Walter a thought you would no better stop racing for 5 years won't make the slytest bit o difference, Percy lives to 15-20 years and will feed it's self no probs, what do you think they eat in winter when most of the fancy shut up shop, there survivers and good at it, JMO

even if it does not reduce the numbers which it must as our yb are the staple diet during training and racing we would all have double the amount of youngbirds to train with the old birds the following year but ive had enough of banging my head off a brick wall my minds made up no youngsters off what i think is my good birds will race as youngsters they will just be trained and i will breed some sprint birds for yb racing if it continues this way like everything else in the pigeon sport everyone talks a good game but only a few do whats needed and thats just not enough better just to say that wont work and this wont work and do nothing so from now on this is how i will be trying to save my birds by only risking what i want to risk the rest can go on sticking there heads in the sand saying it will not work or hope someone else is willing to sort it for them nothing will work because nothing is tried yb racing would have to be put back till october and november to make any difference as the birds are still being hit all through september as i have found out training latebreds the falcons only move two or three weeks after the last yb race and when training has stopped and even then not all move if they have a loft nearby that they can hit to keep them going through the winter but not as many around ill be starting my latebreds 1st or 2nd week in october and hope i get a week or two of good training that will set them in good stead for next season

even if it does not reduce the numbers which it must as our yb are the staple diet during training and racing we would all have double the amount of youngbirds to train with the old birds the following year but ive had enough of banging my head off a brick wall my minds made up no youngsters off what i think is my good birds will race as youngsters they will just be trained and i will breed some sprint birds for yb racing if it continues this way like everything else in the pigeon sport everyone talks a good game but only a few do whats needed and thats just not enough better just to say that wont work and this wont work and do nothing so from now on this is how i will be trying to save my birds by only risking what i want to risk the rest can go on sticking there heads in the sand saying it will not work or hope someone else is willing to sort it for them nothing will work because nothing is tried yb racing would have to be put back till october and november to make any difference as the birds are still being hit all through september as i have found out training latebreds the falcons only move two or three weeks after the last yb race and when training has stopped and even then not all move if they have a loft nearby that they can hit to keep them going through the winter but not as many around ill be starting my latebreds 1st or 2nd week in october and hope i get a week or two of good training that will set them in good stead for next season

emoticon-0137-clapping.gifemoticon-0137-clapping.gifemoticon-0137-clapping.gif

Agree and certainly see why Walter. Indeed, though I doubt for a moment you would agree, I never even train my young birds whether they went as a youngster, or not, for the best part of my earlier keeping and racing them. Club members would moan that they were being taken advantage off, as their birds showed mine the way home … However, they couldn't answer when asked 'Oh aye, but how come my birds were home before yours's'?

Later on, when moving here, I did train for a few seasons youngster and old birds … But to be honest my birds did better when no training whatsoever. Were fresher and had an urgency to get home, as to the experienced ones not being too bothered etc.

Yes as two olds, and as often bragged, they went first time in the basket to the races... as yearlings! Same as my fathers, and most club members use to do!

Loft fitness only Mentally and physically that is ... from some, not a lot, of loft flying. Cut down on youngster available to race in late® years regards feeding the B.O.P.

Many roads lead to Rome they say eh!

Edited by Roland

Walter I was out in the country first thing this morning in the Borders and I watched a male percy chase some thrushes along a fur wood they dropped in and he missed them he then missed a jackdaw surculled round me a couple of times then carried on hunting it was hunting like a sparrowhawk along the trees, never seen this before from a sharp wing you are dreaming if you think they will starve,, ie if the Chinese is shut go to the chippy