Pigeon Gps The Future?

Simonmurray4747

Morning folks just a quick topic on pigeon gps. I've spent months trawling the internet to try find out more about it does anyone on here use it? I've found one product that looks like a very good set up it's called sky leader there is many videos on YouTube and really does look the part even just for training, I recommend watching some videos.let me know what you think.there is clubs in Norway who use a set up that they all sit at there clubhouse and watch there birds with live tracking heading home from race! I hope to get a set up soon

Morning folks just a quick topic on pigeon gps. I've spent months trawling the internet to try find out more about it does anyone on here use it? I've found one product that looks like a very good set up it's called sky leader there is many videos on YouTube and really does look the part even just for training, I recommend watching some videos.let me know what you think.there is clubs in Norway who use a set up that they all sit at there clubhouse and watch there birds with live tracking heading home from race! I hope to get a set up soon

I think the biggest problem with this is the cost. Even if only a few in the convoy are tracked, it is costly if they are pinned by BOP. This will not become widespread until the cost comes down. Perhaps ETS ring manufacturers could look at this, if the cost wasn't prohibitive. :)

It’s a shame the rings have to be removed and connected to the computer. If they could be tracked when not connected to the computer worst case scenario a lot of nesting sites would be exposed and we could help feed those poor hungry birds :drinking-coffee-200:

It’s a shame the rings have to be removed and connected to the computer. If they could be tracked when not connected to the computer worst case scenario a lot of nesting sites would be exposed and we could help feed those poor hungry birds :drinking-coffee-200:

Any GPS system is useless if it cannot be tracked live. I believe those that can be tracked live are extremely expensive and the battery life is short. The batteries need to charge from the sun or last a lot longer, but still be small enough and light enough not to cause a handicap. :)

The guy who owns Gem Feeds(l cant remember his name) did GPS about 10 years ago l think you can still get it on you tube but it didn't have mych interest.

It showed the flight line, speed ,height.

Brian Wall l think was his name

Think Brian retired a while ago,It's either his son or son in-law who has the feed business now.

I think it's got to be the future there is so much information we could find out for training it would be great, play about with places you go see where the birds are heading bop hot spots, I'm really surprised no one has tried I get the price is expensive but there are cheaper alternatives I've heard of others that work but u strap on to a pigeon not round leg that weigh about 6 grams, skyleader seems the way forward all there videos are really impressive and u can get a set up for 300 dollars,I've got on at them bout not Europe vendors and in till they have some I'm not going to buy, the guys in Norway seem to have a good set up that's coming up for 100 pound but not available till next year,all it takes is one club to try it I hope in the future we do

Andy the Shu should fund several pigeons from each fed to be tracked.It would show where a lot of the problems lie whilst racing our birds. Getting these GPS would definitely help our sport , as at present, we do nothing.

I believe the pigeons had to return to download the info on Brian's trackers. When they don't return £x00 down the swanee. :)

I wonder if drones could be used and to what effect they would have on the birds (if any). I know they use them for filming all sorts of things these days and apparently they can do 50-60mph+ also they have the benefit of being able to stream live footage. Wouldn’t be cost effective on small club races but I’m sure it would on the Nationals and larger races.

I wonder if drones could be used and to what effect they would have on the birds (if any). I know they use them for filming all sorts of things these days and apparently they can do 50-60mph+ also they have the benefit of being able to stream live footage. Wouldn’t be cost effective on small club races but I’m sure it would on the Nationals and larger races.

Depending on the cost and co-operation of the SNFC and perhaps Lanarkshire , Pentland and Ayrshire Feds, the three largest to my knowledge, this may also be a route to take. :)