Young Bird Racing

FLYING1967

4 months old bird racing then just over 1 month young bird racing is what the season consists of. This will be my first year racing young birds, so I am not in a position to comment. As un-raced young birds, I have had mixed returns as yearlings, some years better than others. :)

4 months old bird racing then just over 1 month young bird racing is what the season consists of. This will be my first year racing young birds, so I am not in a position to comment. As un-raced young birds, I have had mixed returns as yearlings, some years better than others. :)

I used to never race my youngsters training them myself up to 80miles, however, first old bird race I lost the majority of them. The big liberation is the key element. Once you have that under their wing so to speak the birds learn how to break.

errr ? keep them all year long for just 3 months of flying ?? :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: no !

That inflexible attitude is the reason why we are now in the position we are in.

We need to stop feeding falcons at this time of year.

Young birds should be bred earlier and raced earlier before the killing season starts. Our transporters are taxed and insured and lying idle during the National season we need to utilise them at this time.

Condense the racing season and starve the falcons for the rest of the year.

Totally agree,would not keep pigeons for just 11 races a year,can you imagine what losses would be with a lorry packed with unraced yearlings :emoticon-0179-headbang:

We could always blame the race controller. For me am not in to young bird racing but I always try to get them a minimum of 2 to 3 races in their year of birth as I personally feel that they need the experience of being on the transporter but each to their own I know of guys that don't race young birds at all.

That inflexible attitude is the reason why we are now in the position we are in.

We need to stop feeding falcons at this time of year.

Young birds should be bred earlier and raced earlier before the killing season starts. Our transporters are taxed and insured and lying idle during the National season we need to utilise them at this time.

Condense the racing season and starve the falcons for the rest of the year.

i am sorry you mis-understood my statement . my attitude is not an inflexible one , far from it . i would happily race young alongside old or at a different time of year if it were put in place . i wouldnt however , as the original post suggest "keep them for a year" just train to race them for a 3 month period the following year :emoticon-0127-lipssealed: . hope my reply to you Robert has cleared that up , regards , andy :drinking-coffee-200: