Broken Eggs

chris1984

Is there any way to reduce the number of broken eggs.

What is considerd a normal number of broeken eggs.

i suppose its just one of those things just part of breeding but i think ive had more than normal i jst dnt know why I must have had atleast 20 eggs trampled on so far only have 3 parted yb and another 3 in the nest.

Im considering raising the nest bowl off the floor of the nest boxes but im not even sure if that is the problem i dnt know how its happening.

That is a lot Chris. I have only had one broken this year. My guess would be you have a rogue cock going into boxes and causing havoc. Need to find out who it is.

Paul.

Agreed, need to spend a bit of time watching them, I havent lost one this year (Kiss of death?). Spent a wee bit of time when i paired them up. Just opening up a box at a time, let them in and out. Rotate round the section untill theyre all in and out no probs then 2 at a time, 3 at a time etc. Eventually all doing fine. Sounds like bit of hassle but I just id it every time I was passing the loft. Been prety much trouble free and thats all new pairings too.

Ah i never considerd a rouge cock i assumed they were breaking all there own eggs il keep a closer eye on them.

Il try do that aswell ally after they had been paired up i just opened them all up.

Been a disaster should have had a good batch hatch this week but last week i lost all but 2 nests hopefully the next round goes better.

Have you many of the unrung blue cock Chris? its same way bred as a doo that was 4th club for me and one that was 3rd club for George in Uddingston club.

Il have a look at my records ally i think

I have a couple from last year i did have him.paired to an arden hen but 2 rounds of thier eggs were trampled so ive switched him hes paired up to one of my other arden hens at the moment.

The cheq hen ring ends 207 is paired up to a nice macaloney cock i got a couple of weeks ago from a fancier in inverness who sadly passed but from what i hear he was a very good fancier so im looking forward to seeing what they produce together.

I also have your cheq hen with the green ring paired with another macaloney from the same fancier.

Agreed, need to spend a bit of time watching them, I havent lost one this year (Kiss of death?). Spent a wee bit of time when i paired them up. Just opening up a box at a time, let them in and out. Rotate round the section untill theyre all in and out no probs then 2 at a time, 3 at a time etc. Eventually all doing fine. Sounds like bit of hassle but I just id it every time I was passing the loft. Been prety much trouble free and thats all new pairings too.

This is the way to do it,takes a long time to do over a few days.The wife goes mad,but in the end makes it a lot easier in the loft.

This is the way to do it,takes a long time to do over a few days.The wife goes mad,but in the end makes it a lot easier in the loft.

Lol yeah i can just hear my wife now

how is the shells on the eggs,

They seem strong enough they have oyster shell in thier grit and get layers pellets aswell

Ah i never considerd a rouge cock i assumed they were breaking all there own eggs il keep a closer eye on them.

Il try do that aswell ally after they had been paired up i just opened them all up.

Been a disaster should have had a good batch hatch this week but last week i lost all but 2 nests hopefully the next round goes better.

It will be one of those two nests that was ok

That's what I am thinking,one bad apple,would be looking blood as well,had one like that a few yes ago,done it once,he was a yearling,

think this could be the problem, could just be one cock, have a look at your birds to see if any signs around the head as if been fighting

I dont take young off all my birds The ones I want I take there eggs away and put dummy eggs under them I then mark up there eggs and put them into an incubator replace them to the nest when they start chipping out. No problems

A few reasons why a rouge cock enters others boxes.

If you feed them individually in their nest box he is raiding them for food. Best to feed communally.

Raiding other nests for nesting material (look for an abnormal size nest and he's the culprit)

He just wants to rule the roost. Dispose of.

A hen being driven hard will sometimes dive into another box and the cock will follow = a mass punch up.

For a bit of protection for those sitting add a plastic egg in their nest, this will take brunt of the weight of the fighting pigeons.

A few reasons why a rouge cock enters others boxes.

If you feed them individually in their nest box he is raiding them for food. Best to feed communally.

Raiding other nests for nesting material (look for an abnormal size nest and he's the culprit)

He just wants to rule the roost. Dispose of.

A hen being driven hard will sometimes dive into another box and the cock will follow = a mass punch up.

For a bit of protection for those sitting add a plastic egg in their nest, this will take brunt of the weight of the fighting pigeons.

Just had a msg from the wife she has been watchimg them.from the loft window i do have a rouge cock hes fighting with anything and everything chasing birds in and out of boxes so hel be getting removed this evening hopefuly it helps

IMO ,if you are just a starter and you are happy with quality of birds you intend breeding off what i would have done was ,if cocks and hens had been split open fronts on boxes put in number of cocks so there is is a cock for each box ,let cocks pick box keep like this for a week or two then introduce hens ,let nature take its course, nae problems ,if you leave fronts on box a bird makes a mistake and all hell breaks loose rouge bird cant get out result smashed eggs ,now once you have raised your first team of young birds for this year and have more experience next year try pairing them up as you wish ,just my opinion as i say .

Never had a rogue pigeon in all the years I have kept them, But then again I just have open nest boxes without fronts and let them pick their own Hens. Once many years ago a Hen had a smashed egg on her keel for no reason that I could fathom out. Still never met the fancier who could pick out a Cock and Hen and guarantee winners so why not let them pick their own mates.. Lot less hassle..For you and the birds.