Have Some Time On My Hands

walterboswell59

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

after my gold cup sickener and some personal problems i packed the birds in for 3or4 years but missed them when ever i had any free time on my hands i had started working for myself by this time and was making great money and could almost come and go as i pleased so another was built and had decided that i would stick to club and federation racing so i bought in 18 sprint to mid distance birds staff van reets and a few herman bush crosses id also bought a book called 101 methods by jules galez as i had learned the importance of motivation once you had your birds in peak condition and this book gave me lots of new ideas to get the best out the the birds one of the tricks was to build nest boxes with a partition that could be removed and replaced with perspex so the sitting birds can see each other and think another bird is in there box this was done maybe an hour before basketing time also i made two rabbit hut type boxes about 3 foot by 2 foot and screwed them on to the side of the loft for two of my best racing paires one pair in each box the cocks of these two pair became very dominant and would not let any other birds anywhere near there boxes these cocks would be put in a box or small basket where they could see there boxes and i would then put another cock in with there hen the cocks in the basket would go nuts so only ten mins was needed with the cocks watching there hens being pestered by another cock in there box i would then put the racing cocks in a dark place to let them think about what they seen and also to calm them down one of the cocks racing on this method won 6 firsts 5 seconds 8 thirds and two thousand pounds in club and fed in only two years racing and would have won much more if i had not moved house when he was a 3 year old and he kept going to the old loft half a mile away and sitting a while before coming home so had to stop him the birds in the boxes with the perspex had there bowls moved closer together till the two bowls were sitting right next to each other with the birds trying to peck and wing slap each other threw the perspex then into the basket and left in darkness some where to let them calm down a while before going to the club in show boxes to keep them calm and in there own wee world and keep there mind on what they had seen at the loft other tricks i used was pairing two cocks with one hen and putting one cock in the box with the hen on basket day and the other in a cardboard box on the floor and make a small hole about half inch wide where the cock in the box could see the pair in the box but the pair in the box could not see him so would tread with no fear of him seeing them and attacking the other cock as the one in the box was more dominant this was how i played with the birds in club and fed racing winning on average 1500 to 2000 pounds in pools and prize money club fed and open racing and really enjoyed it thinking of new tricks to stimulate and motivate every week kept me motivated to up untill i started to get the distance bug again and ended up spending eleven grand at louellas for my jan aarden stock birds and faded out the sprint birds altogether to concentrate on distance races with the gold cup being the main goal but i still enjoy the early races and now jim knows what to do to win and had a few winners and trophies under his belt i bought in two pair of sprinters to give me something to play with in the early races again they are cracking birds jacob pourviet from louella so ill get a few off them this year as the aardens cant compete with sprint pigeons in the early races if the sprint and widowhood guys have them right well that brings me up to the present day guys hope you enjoyed the read

I had 2 hens sitting on the same nest 3 or 4 yrs ago i really fancied the 2 yr old hen but as luck would have it her ETS ring didnae work sending her to Newark but i sent her anyway and she would have won the club by 15 mins and probably the west section of the fed tae but hey ho

I got a new ring done and sent her to the 1st inland national where 3 doos beat her in the club but she was 10th section and won £954 pool money so the motivation tricks defo work

Good stories by the way Walter :emoticon-0157-sun:

Very good interesting read Walter Thank You,

I tried 2 cocks with one hen last year for one race, he never came back

does not work with them all buster m8 some get to worked up and just fly mad just like some yearlings cant handle driving there hen one time i thought i was on a winner with two cocks paired to the one hen as they both seemed to have taken to it i was so sure that i made both cocks all pools as both were good birds and could hardly wait to see which cock would come first nearly fell off my chair to see the hen they were paired to come first and win the race lol who was kidding who i thought