Wee Bit Of Banter

yeboah

Anybody had more lofts than me ??. I started when 12 with an 2x1ft orange box fixed onto 4 posts stuck into the ground then updated to a 5x2ft fridge stuck on the same posts. Moved house and erected a 5x4 ft shed made from scrap wood and covered in lino to keep the rain out. When I was 16 the brother and I built a real loft 14x6ft with new wood and a dowel front, unfortunately when we moved house it did not come down as easy as it went up "not sectioned" then I got married and the loft moved again. In 1975 I won a big Combine race with a full pooler and built an "L" shaped loft 50x10ft. Move on 15 years and the local slaughter house was demolished and my 2 Jack Russels could not kill all the rats that invaded the local gardens and ate their way into the loft so it was build another loft but this time I knocked the skylight out of the roof and replaced it with a sputnik and converted the house loft into a pigeon loft 30x20ft with the entry via collapsible stairs from the hall. The Mrs was not overly chuffed but I told her we were in the EEC and this was the continental way of keeping pigeons. After 1 year it was pigeons or her and it was a very close decision I can tell you. I had a double brick garage 30x20ft and the rat over run loft was dimantled and rebuilt on top of the garage which was ok until you fell off as it was 8ft from the ground. This loft was converted into a house when I sold my property to Asians and the Mrs and I moved down South to work for C.J.Williams. When we moved to Pandy in Wales I had built for me a 20x10ft and after 3 years sold it to my boss and moved to Cirencester where I converted a stable 15x15ft into a loft when along came a gentleman and made the boss an offer he could not refuse for lock stock and barrel including the paddock and orchard etc., Next it was to Hatfield and Lord and Lady Charles Cecil where I purchased 2 sheds 10x6 and lasted untill the Mrs told Lady Charles not to speak to her as if she was a piece if sh@t on the sole of her shoe which brought about our early retirement. The last piece of the jig saw and loft sits in the garden where I have a 20x8 race loft, a 12x6 complete with full length aviary young bird loft and a 6x4ft stock loft. At 70 years of age their will be no more lofts built and thank f~~K says Mary the love of my life those past 48 years.

I also started with the orange boxes. They were great. After I built my huts, the orange boxes became the nest-boxes. I used to keep tumblers, fantails and homers as pets, but touting was the thing in Glasgow and I soon learned it was expensive to get my pigeons back off the men who caught them, so they were swapped at the pet shop because once caught they would be easily caught again. The tumblers were a joy to watch, flying high and tumbling through the sky. The bonus was when flying them as a group and all paired up, the touters didn't catch them.

My pal and I were always building huts for the pigeons and the local watchie was a boon when he was onside, especially when he was a pigeon man. Sorted our pigeons when they had cocci using washing soda crystals, etc. I have never had a proper racing loft until the one I am building now, but must have kept pigeons in around 6 or 7 places before moving to Kilwinning and meeting my first racing man. :)

You know you are becoming older when the recollections of your youthful antics fill you with joy. :)

I also started with the orange boxes. They were great. After I built my huts, the orange boxes became the nest-boxes. I used to keep tumblers, fantails and homers as pets, but touting was the thing in Glasgow and I soon learned it was expensive to get my pigeons back off the men who caught them, so they were swapped at the pet shop because once caught they would be easily caught again. The tumblers were a joy to watch, flying high and tumbling through the sky. The bonus was when flying them as a group and all paired up, the touters didn't catch them.

My pal and I were always building huts for the pigeons and the local watchie was a boon when he was onside, especially when he was a pigeon man. Sorted our pigeons when they had cocci using washing soda crystals, etc. I have never had a proper racing loft until the one I am building now, but must have kept pigeons in around 6 or 7 places before moving to Kilwinning and meeting my first racing man. :)

You know you are becoming older when the recollections of your youthful antics fill you with joy. :)

You'se were well advanced Andy, the only problems we had in Ireland in the 70s was canker and pigeon pox.