Garden Shed Conversion?!?

Hey Guys,

So having recently been given the go ahead from my landlord to keep pigeons, am in the process of decidng on what to keep them in, I see some really nice purpose built 6 bird racing kit lofts on ebay, but all of them seem to be north England direction, so am leaning towards the idea of a 6x4 garden shed, those ones which come in a flat pack, and put it on some blocks to keep it off the ground? I guess the added benefit is ill be able to walk into them, bearing in mind im planning on starting with 6 young birds, so it should be plenty of room?

Anyone got any thoughts tips, on what I should definitley not do, etc, I guess I would need to construct a new frame for the door way where I could put a trap,

Any ideas tips all welcome,

Kevin

Thanks guys,

Yea RV woodcraft seem to have a loft of nice accessories in store, and thank you Dal, yea I was thinking of putting in a mesh door, with maybe the trap fixed on that somehow, in order to leave the windows intact to allow some light in, or does that matter much?

I would take the windows out and incorporate the trap in there. Maybe bring the trap out a foot giving you a landing board on top and a aviary area underneath with a mesh front

One of my favourite subjects......converting garden sheds !

Would not advocate a flat-pack as they're usually built from over-lap & light framework, which I consider too flimsy. Some pics of my conversion on 8x6 & 12x6 garden sheds.

post-478-14243766088206_thumb.jpg

post-478-14243766471792_thumb.jpg

post-478-14243768280359_thumb.jpg

Can PM more pics or details if any use.

Good pics, nice n tidy well done. ;)

I will be keeping an eye on this post as this is how i am planning on starting up by converting a 6x4 shed. It will be on blocks so its off the ground mesh door behind the the original door and a sputnik trap where the window hole is.

Would it be best to also put a vent or two on the front of the shed for ventilation?

Was thinking of about 14 young birds in something of that size is that about right or is that to many?

Thanks

Gav

I will be keeping an eye on this post as this is how i am planning on starting up by converting a 6x4 shed. It will be on blocks so its off the ground mesh door behind the the original door and a sputnik trap where the window hole is.

Would it be best to also put a vent or two on the front of the shed for ventilation?

Was thinking of about 14 young birds in something of that size is that about right or is that to many?

Thanks

Gav

the more vents the better imo gav

the more vents the better imo gav

Thanks for your reply Walter i will keep that in mind.

In your opinion what would be a suitable number of young birds to keep in a 6x4 please?

And can i say that the piece you did in the novice section about latebreds i found it a very good read Walter

Thanks

Gav

Guest welshman

Would not advocate a flat-pack as they're usually built from over-lap & light framework, which I consider too flimsy. Some pics of my conversion on 8x6 & 12x6 garden sheds.

thats a really nice job.you have got me thinking now.

Thanks for your reply Walter i will keep that in mind.

In your opinion what would be a suitable number of young birds to keep in a 6x4 please?

And can i say that the piece you did in the novice section about latebreds i found it a very good read Walter

Thanks

Gav

thankyou gav glad if it helped you in any way 14 yb in a 6x4 should be ok m8 with plenty air getting into the loft as stevie says a wire door is a big help for air and letting the birds see around good luck with it and the main thing is enjoy your pigeons and learn from the guys who win not the guys that think they will win and you will do ok

looks great m8 well

Thanks

Gav

Setting the loft up on blocks is good, giving an air-flow under the floor. I had to put a few pillars in due to slope in the garden. Another thing to consider would be a more solid frame laid first, and then place your loft on top of that.

post-478-14244290454163_thumb.jpg

post-478-14244292824102_thumb.jpg

This did leave an unsightly gap which was easily covered in by decking which was cut to suit.

post-478-14244294880509_thumb.jpg