Maize

neila

what kind of maize would members buy by choice and purchased as a straight to add to a standard mix for the race season

I believe they all contain the same feed values and are difficult to notice if they become mouldy, but that aside, cribs maize is dried more naturally and red maize apparently contains more sugars and becomes a favourite of the birds once they are used to it. Red Bordeaux cribs maize fits the bill. I have also heard the birds prefer the smaller maize.

I do not know the facts behind any of this.

Are you the Neil from London area whom I spoke to previously on another site?

A couple of ways of testing the quality of a bag of maize is if you bury your hand in it there should be no powder on your hand when withdrawn. The other is drop a handful on a hard surface and it should ping everywhere, if it just bounces with a dull sound its no good.

A couple of ways of testing the quality of a bag of maize is if you bury your hand in it there should be no powder on your hand when withdrawn. The other is drop a handful on a hard surface and it should ping everywhere, if it just bounces with a dull sound its no good.

Is that not just because its not polished that there is powder on it ,i thought that would be cornflour wouldnt dampness be the enemy.

I didn't know that Tony. I thought the white powder was like a starch which was good sign

thanks for the replies

kyle akin im near London mate

Good to know which site you are on now. :)

Good pointers!

Does the dust show it is mouldy and the dull bounce indicate dampness?

Some of the best seasons I ever had were when I used large maize covered in flour. I have no idea what kind it was but it came directly from the docks in 10 stone bags and was very reasonable priced. I wish I could get my hands on some again.

was just thinking the very same thing m8 it was dog tooth maize full of flour and the birds raced great on it almost everyone in my club was using it great stuff as long as its dry maize is maize grain being nice a shinny looks good but it does not make it better its still maize imo