Nestboxes Facing Each Other? Any Advice?

W.D.

Was thinking of changing one of the sections of loft,to neatboxes on each side so as I can put in a window to let in more light and warm it up a bit as its very cold in the winter and cool in the summer.

Anyone able to advise the pros and cons of doing this? Thanks, W.D.

Was thinking of changing one of the sections of loft,to neatboxes on each side so as I can put in a window to let in more light and warm it up a bit as its very cold in the winter and cool in the summer.

Anyone able to advise the pros and cons of doing this? Thanks, W.D.

why not , whos to say it wont work , may well be a good motivator .having looked at many different lofts on You-Tube , some are laid out that way due to space etc. :animatedpigeons:

I remember reading about high rise flats causing a break down in society. Everyone living on top of each other and not even knowing neighbours on the same level, never mind in the same block, whereas in the traditional form of housing people spoke to each other over the garden fence, etc.

The point was put that when boxes were piled above each other the similarity was to the high rise flats. Having boxes facing each other was like the traditional housing and since the birds could see each other they would self motivate. Others have stated that when using deep litter their birds nest in the litter and often really close to each other. Pigeons are gregarious, so enjoy each others company, look under railway bridges, they live close together there. Yes, they defend their territory, but on the whole they manage to live together far better than humans do.

Give it a bash William.

We put a new front on the big loft in the winter in 2011 that's around half Perspex. At this time we also changed the section so the boxes run round two walls in an L shape. Not exactly the same but the doos can see into the boxes on the wall they arenae on.

If ye arenae totally happy with it ye can always darken the nest boxes. I done this in 2012 with Sterling board and some other bits and pieces I had lying around. It was mainly because there was a right flighty cock in there, so his was darkened first after I seen how much it calmed him down I just done all 20 boxes.

We always had fairly open fronted nest boxes but I kinnae borrowed the idea after visiting Robert Cormack and a couple of the Ulster fanciers, albeit I didn't have any Sinn Féin or DUP campaign boards to hand :emoticon-0136-giggle:

I think it's made a difference as they've the benefit of a light loft, but have their own wee private bit in it.

Anyway, ye dinnae need me to tell YOU about doos :emoticon-0136-giggle: If yer dad would let me in his dookit I'd maybe get to see what kinnae nest fronts he's using :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have been told much the same as above, asking around the lads I know.The end is 6ft wide and deep,maybe it needs to be wider to keep them calm?

Lewis you can get in the auld yins dookits at any time, you only have tae ask?!!! If you want tae see 12yr old malt deep litter there's no finer!!! lol. :lol:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have been told much the same as above, asking around the lads I know.The end is 6ft wide and deep,maybe it needs to be wider to keep them calm?

Lewis you can get in the auld yins dookits at any time, you only have tae ask?!!! If you want tae see 12yr old malt deep litter there's no finer!!! lol. :lol:

:emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0136-giggle:

His wee red latebred cock is turning out to be a cracker, we'll hopefully get a wee turn out of him in the coming seasons :emoticon-0157-sun:

:emoticon-0136-giggle::emoticon-0136-giggle:

His wee red latebred cock is turning out to be a cracker, we'll hopefully get a wee turn out of him in the coming seasons :emoticon-0157-sun:

What?!!! He gave you a Red, I'm supposed tae huv first refusal on the Red Yins!!! :lol: Hope it does you a good turn too. :D