What Is This?

blue pied

change in feed seems to bring it out - I usually have one bird that gets one of them once they are locked up after racing season - just leave it alone , it'll fall off eventually , not related to too much protein IMO as mine are on a carb based diet

"They are caused by the same virus as pigeon pox, this was explained to me by Dr Gerrit Dhont of Melle several years ago. If you wait until they are almost ripe, you can tie some cotton round them and they will drop off in a few days. The young birds will be no worse for this. I can guarantee. One of my best pigeons ever had at least 6 on his wings and body as a youngster and he won 11 x 1st prizes in the next 3 years. All children have problems." A quote from the Legend Frank Tasker.

On a personal note, I've never had a good one.

That is more like a BoP attack to me. Far too large an area and totally the wrong place for a protein lump... and you'd have noticed a lump growing on the bird long before it burst.

Bird looks as if it has been pinned and part of its back eaten.

"They are caused by the same virus as pigeon pox, this was explained to me by Dr Gerrit Dhont of Melle several years ago. If you wait until they are almost ripe, you can tie some cotton round them and they will drop off in a few days. The young birds will be no worse for this. I can guarantee. One of my best pigeons ever had at least 6 on his wings and body as a youngster and he won 11 x 1st prizes in the next 3 years. All children have problems." A quote from the Legend Frank Tasker.

Spot on no such thing as a protein lump Ryan although i had been told it was a virus i always thought it was somthing to do with the herpes family . :animatedpigeons:

You'll need to tell wee Evan to smile lol :partick-thistle-Crest:

that is him smiling hes worse than that when hes being a grumpy old git :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: Andy has him sat out there to scare of mink and percies . :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Spot on no such thing as a protein lump Ryan although i had been told it was a virus i always thought it was somthing to do with the herpes family . :animatedpigeons:

Fully agree with you both, no such thing as a protein lump, dont interfere with it or it will bleed profusely and far worse than it is just now, just leave it alone and it will shrivel up and drop off

ive always called them blood boils and as the guys said they will drop off on there own or tie them off and there off in a week does the bird no harm

an older fancier when I first started often had these Walter , he called them the same .what do you think is the cause ?? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

If it is as others say, it is called a fatty lipoma. It is diet-related (too much fat).

IB fatty lipomas are yellow when appearing on pigeons and generally they only appear on very old pigeons, and I've never heard of one bursting and bleeding as this one appears to