What Is This?

blue pied

I' used to get them on my birds 30 odd years ago when I hadn't a clue how to feed properly , back then I fed a high protein mix most of the year , I can remember getting the odd one or two and always during the winter months when they weren't out much and still got the high protein feed . So this stuff about viruses doesn't do it with me. ,just a pour feeding regime that's all .ive spoken to andrew and told him how to rectify it . Ps I have never found one on any of my pigeons for over 30 years . Why because they are fed correctly .at all times of the year .

I' used to get them on my birds 30 odd years ago when I hadn't a clue how to feed properly , back then I fed a high protein mix most of the year , I can remember getting the odd one or two and always during the winter months when they weren't out much and still got the high protein feed . So this stuff about viruses doesn't do it with me. ,just a pour feeding regime that's all .ive spoken to andrew and told him how to rectify it . Ps I have never found one on any of my pigeons for over 30 years . Why because they are fed correctly .at all times of the year .

got barley today stu!

:emoticon-0123-party:

"They are caused by the same virus as pigeon pox, this was explained to me by Dr Gerrit Dhont of Melle several years ago. If you wait until they are almost ripe, you can tie some cotton round them and they will drop off in a few days. The young birds will be no worse for this. I can guarantee. One of my best pigeons ever had at least 6 on his wings and body as a youngster and he won 11 x 1st prizes in the next 3 years. All children have problems." A quote from the Legend Frank Tasker.

On a personal note, I've never had a good one.

Dr Dhont's and Dr Boskamp believe it has something to do with small pox. If it's down to a so called High Protein diet how can fanciers report it happening with birds on a high barley diet?

Few things you could find interesting

http://forum.pigeonbasics.com/topic/53606-blood-protein-lumps/

http://www.pipa.be/en/community/forum/protein-lumps-0

IB fatty lipomas are yellow when appearing on pigeons and generally they only appear on very old pigeons, and I've never heard of one bursting and bleeding as this one appears to

The old name for them is ‘blood blister’ so that should tell you what colour they are and what they look like. I’ve only experienced them twice in 13 years, and both birds were yearlings.

After the first experience, I asked Rod Adams about what caused them at one of our moots. I used the term ‘protein lump’, and when he read it he asked who had asked the question, and replied to me direct. He was the one who told me the correct term for them – fatty lipoma. He explained that the birds’ diet was too high in protein and that it needed to be reduced. Knowing the term I then searched the web and found all animals including humans can suffer from them. Sticking to birds, the web consensus was that it was too much fat in the diet. IMO given its name, fatty lipoma, that sounds more likely. It was also said that it was a normal fat store under the bird’s skin ‘liquidising’ [reason unknown] then pushing outwards through the skin which eventually ruptures as pressure builds splattering very red goo through the break in the skin. Both of mine were messy when they burst. They have no blood vessels or ‘root’ so they don’t need tied off, left alone they will come good by themselves. But be ready for the mess when it bursts.

As all the birds are on the same diet, but only one is affected it is thought that this is down to an individual pigeon’s body not being able to deal with excess fat. Similarly, if it was a viral infection it would not only affect the whole pigeon, but spread through the loft and infect all the birds. Basically the cause it not known, but all are agreed that it is harmless.

I don't believe we have enough information regarding what it is as its certainly nothing that I have ever seen apart from the scene from the film "Aliens" where their was an internal eruption. In my opinion its been an injury either by a cat or raptor as the area surrounding the injury looks torn and if it had been a growth it would have been noticeable prior to bursting.

I don't believe we have enough information regarding what it is as its certainly nothing that I have ever seen apart from the scene from the film "Aliens" where their was an internal eruption. In my opinion its been an injury either by a cat or raptor as the area surrounding the injury looks torn and if it had been a growth it would have been noticeable prior to bursting.

this pigeon has never been out for 3/4 weeks, only appreared a week ago.

• 8 months later...

next week mate, get it away tho, show the dunbar seaside lol

dont no if ill have transport on friday m8 my peugot blew engine and hazels going to ireland with the meriva on thursday for 10 days so could be stuck m8. hant tossed em since the 20 on transporter to harthill 3 weeks back