Snfc

clockman

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Basin View

Cheltenham

Attached is a scan of the 1973 Cheltenham young bird national result it is the only result I have from when I had the birds as a teenager / twenty year old, came back into the sport 5 years ago after being out for 30 years, what has changed, here we have a south member wanting to go back to Cheltenham this result could back up his view, was trying to point out on my other post that changing the race points can change the results.

post-4854-13791096180287_thumb.jpg

Attached is a scan of the 1973 Cheltenham young bird national result it is the only result I have from when I had the birds as a teenager / twenty year old, came back into the sport 5 years ago after being out for 30 years, what has changed, here we have a south member wanting to go back to Cheltenham this result could back up his view, was trying to point out on my other post that changing the race points can change the results.

interesting stuff , could have a very valid point there :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Why not try a different racepoint for each section at 300 miles from the centre of the section. Then everyone would be flying roughly the same distance all liberated at the same time. Which section do you think would win?

last time the SNFC had a YBN from Cheltenham was 2005 all sections A - G featured in the first 108 Open, 6 of the 7 in the first 73 Open

Just looked out the result of the 2005 ybn from CHELTENHAM. Liberated at 10.45 in a SOUTH EAST wind. 1st six were in Chirnside, Kirriemuir, Forfar, Inverallochy, Brechin, Aberdeen. In the first 50 there were 6 Section A, 7 Section B, 25 Section C, 0 Section D, 0 Section E, 0 Section F, 12 Section G. Not sure if it proves anything but it makes interesting reading compared to 1973

last time the SNFC had a YBN from Cheltenham was 2005 all sections A - G featured in the first 108 Open, 6 of the 7 in the first 73 Open

Tough tough race Lewis our section still had prizes won second day 2pm,was in the hunt for the section averages but never got a bird till the following morning! <_<

Tough tough race Lewis our section still had prizes won second day 2pm,was in the hunt for the section averages but never got a bird till the following morning! <_<

Was just pointing out the open prizes seemed a bit better spread than it usually is from Leicester. You and yer dad will get that chance again I'm sure :emoticon-0157-sun:

I shouldn't have got involved,ye know my thoughts on the race John :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Guest Gareth Rankin

Birdage Breakdown- Section A -45,B-685,C-365,D-231,E-337,F-60,G-116 - TOTAL-1839

Changed days from section A, wasn't the long ago that there were lofts from that area sending 45 each, feel that this is another reason why two semi nationals are required.

Changed days from section A, wasn't the long ago that there were lofts from that area sending 45 each, feel that this is another reason why two semi nationals are required.

Do you think there would be a larger entry than 673 from the "South/West" if they had a chance of winning half a national

Guest Gareth Rankin

Do you think there would be a larger entry than 673 from the "South/West" if they had a chance of winning half a national

Without a doubt, Solway lads have struggled in YB national for the last 6-10 years, this no doubt due to the prevailing west wind, inturn they have stopped sending which then makes it even harder for the guys that do send, this because there of the drag up the east coast.

I have no doubt that if the Solway fanciers had sent today then they would have done very well, only because of the north wind today.

Without a doubt, Solway lads have struggled in YB national for the last 6-10 years, this no doubt due to the prevailing west wind, inturn they have stopped sending which then makes it even harder for the guys that do send, this because there of the drag up the east coast.

I have no doubt that if the Solway fanciers had sent today then they would have done very well, only because of the north wind today.

If your no in it you cannae win it

Guest Gareth Rankin

If your no in it you cannae win it

Yes i agree, but reality has to kick in some point, i fly 245 miles from Leicester, now when its a west wind, i can guarantee you that the doos that i have sent have flown more like 280-300 miles with the last 60 miles into a head wind, yes it is pathetic that my doos have not taken a straight line home, but when they have got the worse terrain to deal with, also the wind and then on top of this, they have got to come out of the drag of the doos which is up the east coast, therefore you can understand why many fanciers are not interested on being "in it to win it".

As i say, with me its a love / hate race. Looking to win 1st National as always, but lets not forget "REALITY" kicks in at some point.

Surely the best way forward would be to have a select committee of top class

fanciers choose the race programme,not 150 members most local!

I would suggest Gareth Rankin & John Bosworth just as starters.JMO

why have a select few to decide

that's worse than the agm

have a postal vote no excuses then , everyone can have their say

and tie the program for 3 or 5 years

obviously things change and race points become unavailable/ weather etc

so a wee bit flexability on lib dates/ race points etc when needed

Yes i agree, but reality has to kick in some point, i fly 245 miles from Leicester, now when its a west wind, i can guarantee you that the doos that i have sent have flown more like 280-300 miles with the last 60 miles into a head wind, yes it is pathetic that my doos have not taken a straight line home, but when they have got the worse terrain to deal with, also the wind and then on top of this, they have got to come out of the drag of the doos which is up the east coast, therefore you can understand why many fanciers are not interested on being "in it to win it".

As i say, with me its a love / hate race. Looking to win 1st National as always, but lets not forget "REALITY" kicks in at some point.

"REALITY" is yer not the only ones got it tuff ie distance yer doo's hiv really flown plus terrain yer measured over

Guest Gareth Rankin

"REALITY" is yer not the only ones got it tuff ie distance yer doo's hiv really flown plus terrain yer measured over

Yes i appreciate that today the guys in the north and the far north section are going to get a tough race today, but generally with the typical south west wind then its not the case as results have shown from the young bird national.

It will be a very good winner whoever wins the north section today.

ATB

Gareth

Yes i appreciate that today the guys in the north and the far north section are going to get a tough race today, but generally with the typical south west wind then its not the case as results have shown from the young bird national.

It will be a very good winner whoever wins the north section today.

ATB

Gareth

I don't think theres a hope of a north bird today

with the shortest flying around 320 miles and if it stays light till 20.00 tonight which I doubt

thats 8 hours flying time at 40 mph

into a north wind

I think Dundee will be struggling let alone anything north of that

Guest Gareth Rankin

I don't think theres a hope of a north bird today

with the shortest flying around 320 miles and if it stays light till 20.00 tonight which I doubt

thats 8 hours flying time at 40 mph

into a north wind

I think Dundee will be struggling let alone anything north of that

Yes got to agree with you.

You don't need a crystal ball to know that when the result comes out there will be no open positions won from sections A. E. and F and very few from section D,have posted in previous years about two races semi nationals etc but unfortunately the same format will continue. :partick-thistle-Crest:

My post from last week and next years will be the same. :partick-thistle-Crest: