Trapping Methods

Guest ConsettFlyer12

Guest ConsettFlyer12

I was thinking of having a bob wire trap above the window in the loft with a little landing board and something to close it at night. whats everyones opinions on this and is there any othermethods of trapping that would be easy for me as im a young fancier any help appreciated thanks!

:animatedpigeons:

Not a lover of bob wires, pigeons seem to test them before they go in and I think perhaps thats with their wings being sore. On my system I have bob holes at an angle where the pigeons drop through and can't fly up and out. Cats will always be a worry, no matter what system you have but we must make it as awkwarrd as possible for em'. My traps are also high enough off the ground where it's impossible for cats to enter.

I was thinking of having a bob wire trap above the window in the loft with a little landing board and something to close it at night. whats everyones opinions on this and is there any othermethods of trapping that would be easy for me as im a young fancier any help appreciated thanks!

:animatedpigeons:

I think its all down to what clocking method you use,with manual clocking the quicker the bird can get into the loft the better so personally I would always use open doors,but with ETS you need something that the pads are under for the bird to walk across so a trap with bobs at either end seems the norm.

There is nothing wrong with bob wires providing the birds are trained to use them. The most important thing is to have a landing area/board that is big enough for all the birds to land at the same time. If the landing area is too small you run the risk of training your birds to circle around rather than land all together. Long disatance people might be fine with small landing areas but us sprinters often rely on quick traps to win races so the birds must land quickly and with confidence.

• 2 weeks later...