Is This Where Our Racers Go

DJWa

THIS IS ON A FARM IN FIFE

typical of hundreds of barns accross the country .i posted about seeing many large groups on barns when we travelled along the old A1 from Newcastle a few weeks back .you would be foolish to think the shootings werent a regular thing .as for any being National doo,s ,i doubt it ,more likely to sit on roof-tops than inside .

Although this is not easy to see I think it is essential to get rid of both the feral and stray pigeons. These birds give racing pigeons a bad name and have perpetuated the label "Flying Rats". Worse than that they are back up food for raptors who are able to gain in numbers to attack our racing birds. If this activity was carried out in the towns and cities I doubt if we would have Peregrine Falcons and Sparrow Hawks causing the mayhem that we do at the moment.

To be honest, I think that this job should be done and at least part funded by the Pigeon Racing Fraternity. If we could get rid of these pests I am sure that our racing birds would become much safer.

Owen there was a trial in one aera in england, midlands i think there were a few lads got a contract from a town to get rid of the streeters , they recieved the awful from a brewery soaked this into barley and fed it to the streeters they were drunk falling about every where and they just went and picked them up and disposed of them, but the public started ta complain about it and was abruptly stopped if it was allowed for a few months in every town they would have soon sorted the problem which is now oot of control ,and andy your right the ones thats in them barns are no bloody good , and these pigeons are fouling over the hay the cows are eating and why the maff has allowed this ta carry on is unbelievable . But when a virus breaks oot abroad its us with pigeons, that they take there spite out with just ta make the people think they are doing something ta cover there jobs sorry there ARS* S

Although this is not easy to see I think it is essential to get rid of both the feral and stray pigeons. These birds give racing pigeons a bad name and have perpetuated the label "Flying Rats". Worse than that they are back up food for raptors who are able to gain in numbers to attack our racing birds. If this activity was carried out in the towns and cities I doubt if we would have Peregrine Falcons and Sparrow Hawks causing the mayhem that we do at the moment.

To be honest, I think that this job should be done and at least part funded by the Pigeon Racing Fraternity. If we could get rid of these pests I am sure that our racing birds would become much safer.

I could not agree more than what you have said. If there was one of my lost racers in their then great that saves me £40.00 in courier fees. The streeters are a nusiance and they all should be culled. Oh except the pretty ones!! We all like to see them dont we :smiley: :smiley:

Owen there was a trial in one aera in england, midlands i think there were a few lads got a contract from a town to get rid of the streeters , they recieved the awful from a brewery soaked this into barley and fed it to the streeters they were drunk falling about every where and they just went and picked them up and disposed of them, but the public started ta complain about it and was abruptly stopped if it was allowed for a few months in every town they would have soon sorted the problem which is now oot of control ,and andy your right the ones thats in them barns are no bloody good , and these pigeons are fouling over the hay the cows are eating and why the maff has allowed this ta carry on is unbelievable . But when a virus breaks oot abroad its us with pigeons, that they take there spite out with just ta make the people think they are doing something ta cover there jobs sorry there ARS* S

Hi Walter Know laws are different north+south but in scotland both the shooting and Stupify,n birds are against law, Reasons being Not guarnteed a kill, and cant hav birds falling out Skys coz not guarnteed to find all birds, Councils hav been getting Funding ( European ) for last 12 years that i know if to clean up this problem, thier Answer fly a Bop doon toon once week, Aye plenty strays on farms but if we killed them all would that na just bring more Bop attacks to Lofts, jmo Ronnie

Hi Walter Know laws are different north+south but in scotland both the shooting and Stupify,n birds are against law, Reasons being Not guarnteed a kill, and cant hav birds falling out Skys coz not guarnteed to find all birds, Councils hav been getting Funding ( European ) for last 12 years that i know if to clean up this problem, thier Answer fly a Bop doon toon once week, Aye plenty strays on farms but if we killed them all would that na just bring more Bop attacks to Lofts, jmo Ronnie

Ronnie i am not sure what the laws is but i thought at the time the awful they were getting down south that trial seemed ta have been a success in getting them easily enough ta sort the problem out they were drunk as skunks and i cant rember why it was halted but i think it was pressure from the public , but ronnie if there were no streeters the hawks would soon decline if ,all fanciers kept there birds in over the close season a lot would die off , but ronnie the mess they make it should be top of councils agenda for health and just wonder where these viruses come from ?

looks like someones racers go fer a feed bet he's wondering why they aint laying lmao :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl: :emoticon-0140-rofl:

18 months for 100 streeter when ye could get the guy in wae the gun he would do that in a night

yup perhaps 4 gunmen whilst there feeding ;)

I was fortunate to have a weekend away in Rome this year and seeing the streeters over there, I was embarresed to be a pigeon fancier. They were just like rats over there. I saw people having lunch that walked away from the table because some 20 -30 dirty streeters came and took over the table while they were sat there. They were everywhere people where eating outside - over table cloths and shitting over cutlery. Its no wonder joe public have this perception of our birds. Anyone going away to Rome would come back with the same feeling about them

D.D.

Ronnie i am not sure what the laws is but i thought at the time the awful they were getting down south that trial seemed ta have been a success in getting them easily enough ta sort the problem out they were drunk as skunks and i cant rember why it was halted but i think it was pressure from the public , but ronnie if there were no streeters the hawks would soon decline if ,all fanciers kept there birds in over the close season a lot would die off , but ronnie the mess they make it should be top of councils agenda for health and just wonder where these viruses come from ?

I agree we you Walter about numbers going thru roof, hav problem elgin years bak, was going start up my own to get rid them, had meetings with enviro/health,( RSPCA, edinbrugh,) Property owners, for 2 haf years

.Council kept shiftin blame, pleading no money/not their problem, turned out European laws had told councils too clean up thier act and had been funding them, getting bak to drunk birds, ( Stupifly,n )them was one of methods RSPCA rejected,as humun way of control,with streeters gone if we could get all fanciers to keep birds in winter Bops would soon decline, the Councils wont take notice till INSURENCE claims for slipping on slimly pavements goes thur the roof Only then will you see action, ps. 10 years on still nothing been done elgin apart from odd fly by Bop. Ronnie

I agree we you Walter about numbers going thru roof, hav problem elgin years bak, was going start up my own to get rid them, had meetings with enviro/health,( RSPCA, edinbrugh,) Property owners, for 2 haf years

.Council kept shiftin blame, pleading no money/not their problem, turned out European laws had told councils too clean up thier act and had been funding them, getting bak to drunk birds, ( Stupifly,n )them was one of methods RSPCA rejected,as humun way of control,with streeters gone if we could get all fanciers to keep birds in winter Bops would soon decline, the Councils wont take notice till INSURENCE claims for slipping on slimly pavements goes thur the roof Only then will you see action, ps. 10 years on still nothing been done elgin apart from odd fly by Bop. Ronnie

Ronnie yer right yev see them fa tescos in the broch car park the amount that goes south in the morning ta the parks is thousands far there comming fa out the broch its fearsome

Ronnie yer right yev see them fa tescos in the broch car park the amount that goes south in the morning ta the parks is thousands far there comming fa out the broch its fearsome

a can assure my fellow doo men your birds are not going feral i have for the past twenty years been clearing out farms under bridges and in old derilict buildings and only came across a handfull of rung doos and av yet to have one with a gutty or an ets ring on so a can only asume these birds have been lost off the loft or lost at early training tosses and a only do this over the winter so theres no chance of them being racers sleeping out on a two day race etc so av no idea where all the doos are going but there not going feral barr the odd one or two

R.A.M.C.63

you are right when you say that attacks would be more frequent if we killed the ferals and strays. I don't think we would have much of a problem if we were to organise the cull in the Autumn. I think it is obvious that the raptors would be short of food and would attack anything they could to stay alive. This is when the Raptor Alliance could do a great job by making sure the Public were kept informed as to what is going on.

The RSPB are having a field day right now because people believe what they say and they have a great deal of Public support. These people enjoy the freedom to do as they like because they are not properly accountable to anyone. If we can cause even their own members to doubt the way they behave we will be well on the way to achieving the control of raptors we need. I think the ideal situation would be to get the Country Landowners to join with us to remove these sources of artificial food from the scene so that the real natural balance can take affect. As far as the Cities and Towns are concerned, most of the people who make the decisions are ignorant of what is happening and are influenced by the RSPB. They have been sold the idea that using raptors to control the ferals and strays is the best way to deal with the problem. The real answer to their problem would be to remove all the ferals and strays from the environment so that there would no risk of health problems at all. I doubt if they realise that the raptors leave rotting carcases around to add to the filth left by the ferals and strays. Our problem is that there are plenty of words spoken on these topics but there is a serious lack of action. A good start might be if we all brought the subject up at our meetings and kept the subject alive until real commitment was shown by our leaders.

When my Dad was alive he was a pest control officer for Portsmouth City Council, every winter we would shoot & trap ferals in Church Roofs, School Roofs, Railway Stations, the Barracks, The Guildhall, every major building in the City had a feral population. The number of rung birds inside buildings was minimal, stray racers always end up on balconies and ledges, the only rung pigeons that were allowed to roost with the feral colonies were usually YBs, they just wouldn't accept a stray into their colony much the same as our pigeons mercilessly chase a stray that has entered the loft. It's all about territory, but they will accept a young immature pigeon into their midst, natures way of strengthening the genes with a cross.