How Far With Ybs ?

tiger

depends what ye need for next season bt i wouldnt say its as important as many people think many youngsters that havent been raced on year of birth go on to do well! bt training year of birth is a must omo

Geo, dont know who the many are that gave you this info mate but I will disagree strongly! Distance is not everything in training but ones that are not trained or raced in year of birth gan doon like snaw aff a dyke! True you will get the exeptional one but thats yer lot!!!!!

Two or three tosses is plenty for a first race tae say 45 miles and the ones that race consistently, not winners, are the ones that you can trust in yer old bird team!

Hope you have the sense tae look after yer team of ybs as its no a sprint its a marathon when ye are startin.

No good wiinin loads o races wae yer ybs tae have nae team for naxt years enjoyment?

Wish you the best Geo but dont take all the info in, trust in yer instincts and protect yer team?

ATB Steven

Geo, dont know who the many are that gave you this info mate but I will disagree strongly! Distance is not everything in training but ones that are not trained or raced in year of birth gan doon like snaw aff a dyke! True you will get the exeptional one but thats yer lot!!!!!

Two or three tosses is plenty for a first race tae say 45 miles and the ones that race consistently, not winners, are the ones that you can trust in yer old bird team!

Hope you have the sense tae look after yer team of ybs as its no a sprint its a marathon when ye are startin.

No good wiinin loads o races wae yer ybs tae have nae team for naxt years enjoyment?

Wish you the best Geo but dont take all the info in, trust in yer instincts and protect yer team?

ATB Steven

Good advice

ATB Steven

I ment you dont have to send them the full programme! Many ppl believe they have to go the full programme which i do not believe

Maybe i shouldnt have said MANY un raced ybs do well but there is a few i also said that they must be trained if not raced

I will be protecting my team for the future i dont intend in kicking fk oot the ybs i want a decent team of yearling to breed from next year to get a team going

edit to add if my team were going strong ofcoarse i will send to the full programme bt i will take it a race at a time

I dont think it matters how far they go its the experience of being race marked, travelling overnight and being libbed with lots of pigeons that stand them in good stead for the rest of their racing life.

I dont think it matters how far they go its the experience of being race marked, travelling overnight and being libbed with lots of pigeons that stand them in good stead for the rest of their racing life.

i agree a lot of top men only give there young cocks now 3 or 4 races then hold them back for next year and there seems to be more and more top doo men doing this all the time :emoticon-0138-thinking:

for me i train my youngsters from 5 miles up to around 30 miles usually around 6 to eight training tosses then to the first race 67 miles. i usually only go as far as 200 miles max, i think its far enough for the youngsters and i wont send them if the weather doesnt look favourable, like some of the comments suggest you have to think about next year?? but not everyone shares the same opinion as there are fanciers who put their birds to the young bird national and will usually fly the whole young bird fed programme up to 250+ miles then send to the national which is some 360 miles give or take a few miles and good luck to them all

john

Guest youngzimmy

yes john 100 mls is plenty after all older stock that are winning for you aint getting any any younger so the more care you give them the more likly they will be as candidates to replace older stock as apposed to the camacasi attitude of novo 10 tiger 10 novo 10 nil for common sence

yes john 100 mls is plenty after all older stock that are winning for you aint getting any any younger so the more care you give them the more likly they will be as candidates to replace older stock as apposed to the camacasi attitude of novo 10 tiger 10 novo 10 nil for common sence

alan its not about me ?its about what others and works for them , john

Don't see what's kamakazi about racing out to young bird national. They're learning a bit more every week and i think I would rely on a pigeon that's been out to that distance than one that's flew 100 miles

cuckoo head when uve done what we have wae pigeons then i will listen 2 u and when u want to pay for the young ones u got 3 years ago

imo they have to be well trained and raced only the best will be left imo we race them right to young bird national

Your right Derek.

They ve either got it or they havent, simple as that and how do you find out if they have it.RACE THE FKERS. ( unless they come from proven stock )Everything in the pigeon sport contradicts itself so therefore, I am of the opinion, if they are right, send them. I would rather have 6 decent pigeons in the loft than 50 untried and unknown quantities.

Your right Derek.

They ve either got it or they havent, simple as that and how do you find out if they have it.RACE THE FKERS. ( unless they come from proven stock )Everything in the pigeon sport contradicts itself so therefore, I am of the opinion, if they are right, send them. I would rather have 6 decent pigeons in the loft than 50 untried and unknown quantities.

derek always found out the ones we have raced out turn out to be the best ones imo you cant educate them enough in year of birth then as yearlings not trained as hard only when nationals come around will they then get harder work to fine tune them

do you think it matters how far we fly them ? as ybs

I think it all depends on what type of birds you have ie sprint middle distance or extreme. I liked to send most of my ybs to a national race which was just under 300 miles. You loose a lot which I always expected to loose as yearlings but without need to feed and clean after them over the winter months. But as I do not always do the same stuff each year I have not raced them but trained them to 65 miles and had soem outstanding yearlings but lost a lot in their first toss as yearlings. atb