Machiel Buijk Jan Aardens

pault

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest youngzimmy

The House of Jan Aarden

We have visited most of the Important Jan Aarden lofts In Europe. However most of these lofts have excellent birds, but hardly anyone kept the Jan Aarden pigeons pure.

So what we got to see at all these lofts were very nice pigeons, but 99 % of them were crossed with other strains than the pure Jan Aarden strain.

One loft showed the opposite. It is the loft of Machiel Buijk In Holland. At his fantastic breeding lofts there are only pure Jan Aarden pigeons of a quality we have never seen before. Indeed the pigeons of Machiel Buijk are still pure Jan Aarden pigeons and they are bred from the best lines of the world famous Jan Aarden long distance strain.

Machiel Buijk, 58 years old now, started pigeon fancy in 1970, so 38 years ago.

From the beginning of his career Machiel was only fascinated by long distance pigeons. He was born and still lives in the neighbourhood of Steenbergen, the little city where Jan Aarden and many of his successors lived.

Machiel Buijk was from a younger generation than the famous long distance champions of those days, but that did not stop him from visiting them many times.

When he was 18 years old, Machiel fell in love with his wife Mimi, but at the same time he fell in love with the beautiful strong Jan Aarden pigeons and he only wanted one thing: having the best Jan Aarden pigeons he could find.

10 Years after his start as a pigeon fancier, Machiel started working for pigeon magazines in Belgium and Holland. In those days he visited many lofts in Europe and bought many excellent pigeons from those champions. Machiel only wanted the best Jan Aarden pigeons and bought them on several lofts, such as Antoon Aarden, Lazeroms, Sprenkels, Vroegindeweij, Van der Wegen, and last but not least at Marijn van Geel from Nieuw Vossemeer.

Through the years Machiel learned to know the Jan Aarden strain as nobody else. He studied the Jan Aarden pigeons and found out, that the pigeons of Marijn van Geel were the best and purest Jan Aarden pigeons of all. Marijn van Geel did not only had the best results on the 1000 kilometer races but his pigeons bred and raced the best on many other lofts too.

For long distance racing there were no better pigeons than those of Marijn van Geel. Machiel then decided that in order to keep the Jan Aarden strain pure for the future, he had to form a colony of pigeons, all direct from the Van Geel loft. It was really difficult to buy those pigeons, because everybody wanted them so much.

But, having known Machiel since a youngster and having watched him mature as a keen and competent pigeon handler, Van Geel did not only sell him pigeons, but taught him over the years all about the Jan Aarden strain.

Sadly in 1983 Marijn van Geel died and from all over the world came requests to buy Marijn's entire colony. However his wife Martha decided to go on racing and breeding the birds on her own. During the following years Machiel became Martha's right-hand man. She knew that her husband had taught this young man well and she continually asked his advice. Machiel became her loft manager and in this capacity advised, paired and selected racing and breeding pigeons in order to continue Marijn's work.

His payment was not money, but pigeons from the best breeders and racers of the Van Geel loft.

In February 1989 Martha van Geel decided to sell all her old pigeons. Machiel was the auctioneer and the sale of 168 pigeons realised a world record result. The pigeons were sold for 770,000 Dutch Guilders in appreciation of the life's work of Marijn van Geel.

At that moment, there were already 140 original Van Geel pigeons at Machiel Buijk's loft, only from the best racers and breeders. So, the Van Geel strain was saved for the future.

During the years, Machiel Buijk had more than 300 original Van Geel pigeons at his loft. lie cherished them like they were nuggets of gold but did not hesitate to eliminate if neccessary. Pigeons, not coming up to his stern requirements had to disappear.

So it happened that in the past even children of the 'Dolle', the 'Lange' and Vlekje' ended their career in a dustbin, just and only because they did not fulfil the conditions of Machiel. In that way more than 50, % of the 300 direct Van Geel birds were selected-out by Machiel. Only pigeons, bred from the very best Van Geel's and moreover with the thoroughbred characteristics of this Jan Aarden strain were allowed to stay. The way of acting of Machiel Buijk saved the strain Van Geel for a total crumbling.

Back in time

In the 1950s' Jan Aarden sold a lot of pigeons, but almost everybody crossed those pigeons with different strains. Only a few fanciers kept the Jan Aarden strain pure and that's why pure Jan Aarden pigeons became very rare.http://www.magiclofts.co.uk/jaimages/about/ja2_25.jpg

In those days it was relatively easy to obtain long distance birds for very little money.

It was in that period that Jan Aarden started to excel in long distance racing. He then created the base for the now so famous Jan Aarden strain.

In the early years, before commerce dominated the pigeon world, it was possible to obtain pigeons from Jan Aarden and other fanciers who kept the Jan Aarden strain pure.

Marijn van Geel was one of these fanciers. He started with his friend Jan Cools to concentrate on the long distance racing in preference to short and middle.

After initial good results, disaster struck: Their first loft of pigeons died of cancer, all except one. After restarting with new birds a new disaster struck in the form of floods, which decimated their entire loft. This happened in 1953.

A year later, Marijn van Geel and Jan Cools decided to separate and race pigeons on their own.

Both fanciers went to Steenbergen to obtain long distance pigeons to build up their own strains, based on the Jan Aarden birds.

Marijn van Geel acquired some birds from a fellow fancier, named Van Agtrnaal. This fancier was the best friend of Jan Aarden and he could get all the pigeons he wanted from Jan Aarden.

Van Agtmaal gave to Van Geel 5 eggs of his best breeding pigeons, two of these being the sire and dam of the world famous '500', one of the best long distance racers of Holland and also a superb breeder. In the same year, Van Geel acquired two more youngsters from the same pair.

Those four brothers and sisters of the '500' were Jan Aarden pigeons from the very best.

Besides these 4 pigeons, Marijn van Geel used only two more birds to form his own Jan Aarden strain. Those pigeons were the 'Ligtenberg' and the 'Old 59', bred by Van Geel from the 'Big Cock' from Stoffelen. Both, the 'Ligtenberg' and the 'Old 59' were pure Jan Aarden pigeons.

With these 6 pigeons, Marijn van Geel laid the base for what years later was to become the best Jan Aarden colony in the world.

The only other birds, introduced after the initial start were the 1 st National St. Vincent winner of Willem van den Burgh, and the I st International Barcelona winner of Piet van der Slik. Those two pigeons were also pure Jan Aarden pigeons.

Success thanks to inbreeding

Marijn van Geel was a person who intensely disliked crossing his pigeons with other strains. He achieved his ideal through inbreeding, a method commended by some and acclaimed by others as the best method to achieve success.

Success came quickly to Van Geel after the purchase of the Jan Aarden strain via his friend Van Agtrnaal.In no time Marijn van Geel belonged to the best long distance fanciers of Holland. From the early sixties onwards, he became very well known through series of top positions in the races from St. Vincent, Dax, Pau, Barcelona etc.

Although it is almost 40 years ago it is interesting to look in more detail. These results have never been equalled in long distance racing. If there had been a world championship league for long distance racing, Marijn van Geel would surely top it.

http://www.magiclofts.co.uk/jaimages/about/ja3_25.jpgVan Geel's pigeons have won two cars on the national races. 'Vlekje' won a car in the Dax race and the 'Dolle' won a car at the St. Vincent race. Also, five times a bird of Marijn van Geel was the winner in the southwest region of Holland against the cream of the Dutch long distance fanciers.

Van Geel succeeded in obtaining positions in the first twenty-five prizes against several thousands of pigeons in almost every race he took part in.

Best long distance strain in Europe

The Jan Aarden strain of Marijn van Geel developed into the best of all long distance strains in Holland. Several very good long distance fanciers approached Van Geel and many of these became successful with his birds.

Marijn van Geel from Nieuw Vossemeer was the only fancier who kept the Jan Aarden strain pure like they were in the 1950s': pigeons with most beautiful eyes, imaginable, perfect physic and silky plumage.

Van Geel kept the Jan Aarden pigeons pure through very close inbreeding. He succeeded in keeping the Jan Aarden pigeons to type and performance, 25 years after the demise of Jan Aarden himself. Marijn van Geel showed, how the old Jan Aarden strain was very suitable to inbreeding. He was unequalled in keeping the inbred Jan Aarden strain pure and successful.

Through the years Marijn van Geel bred many unique long distance birds. World fame started with the now famous 'Dolle', undoubtedly the world's best long distance pigeon of all time. The 'Dolle' was followed by the 'Lange', 'Bonte 62', 'Old 54' and 'Old 59' and many others. The more recent generation of Van Geel birds include Vlekje', 'Goede Blauwe', 'Barcelona', Favoriet', and 'Munchenvlieger'. They are all from the same Incomparable class, the hallmark of the Jan Aarden strain, still used in long distance flying at many top lofts in Europe.

Excellent results

Machiel Buijk has been very successful with the Van Geel pigeons. He proved once again how valuable the Van Geel strain has been and still is.

In his career, Machiel won many important Provincial races, such as St. Vincent, Chateauroux, Tours, La Souterainne and Limoges. All these races have distances from 600 to 1000 kilometers and every time the victory was won against thousands of pigeons of the best long distance fanciers of Holland

Also Machiel Buijk was crowned as Ist champion of the famous 'Zuidwesthoek', undoubtly the most prestigious province for long distance racing in Holland

But even more important are the successes of so many pigeon fanciers, who obtained the pigeons of Machiel Buijk.

J. Steijns became National Champion Long Distance with pigeons of Machiel Buijk, Cees Schouw became Marathon Champion of the 'Zuidwesthoek' with pigeons of his friend Machiel Buijk and B. Hovenkamp won Ist and 5th National St. Vincent with pigeons of Machiel Buijk. These 3 examples are just a few from the many fanciers in the whole world, who succeeded with the Jan Aarden pigeons of Machiel Buijk.

The future

Many times wealthy fanciers bidded fortunes for the Jan Aarden collection of Machiel Buijk. As nobody else, Machiel knows that his colony Van Geel pigeons is the last and most unique Jan Aarden bastion in the world. Therefore he made up his mind to keep this strain for the future.

In this way, the life-work of Marijn van Geel is preserved.

To own this thoroughbred valuable strain is for Machiel Buijk of great importance. Many visitors from all over the world visited the breeding lofts at Hoogerheide and were unanimous that a collection like this one is seldom found and of uncommon excellence.

Of course there are fanciers in the possession of a few typical Jan Aarden pigeons, but we cannot

compare it with the pigeons at the breeding loft of Machiel Buijk, where tens of those birds are the

guarantee for the future of the Jan Aarden strain. Those birds have perfect bodies, velvety feathers, long flexible muscles and the most fantastic imaginable coloured eyes, varying from green to gold and from purple to chestnut brown.

For the sake of clarity, we can say that Machiel Buijk did it in the right way and that all his efforts and sacrifices were not for nothing.

The Jan Aarden strain still lives in all its glory thanks to the passion of Machiel Buijk for the best long distance strain in the world.

I will agree with you in that respect Derek that they are super looking pigeons but when was the last time that they were tested. Louella get slated constantly about breeding from untried stock, Machiel I believe is doing the same, at least louella try to introduce fresh blood to improve their original stock. jmo  ;)

have to agree they are my type of distance bird ,shape and conformation  wise , but im put off by the lack of winners in the pedigrees , most are generations away , but to the eyesign enthusiasts they must be a dream come true .

so i think ill see how they perform for others first .

i dont no theres something not right about them eyes ,, :) :) :) if you want good eyes check out these ones,

http://pigeonnetwork.com/nf/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=516

now there an eye sign mans dream ,

Not so sure Michael Buijk was Marijn or Martha Van Geel's loft manager. They were great friends for many years, and Michael obtained many, many birds from the Van Geels. Michael would be the first to tell you his Van Geels are so inbred they need to be crossed, preferably to another Jan Aarden line.
you are 100% correct , they are so inbred they have gotten a bit on the big side , nothing like the medium size they once where 25-30 year's ago .

Guest mick bowler

Wheres all the race results on the peds? Surely if they raced as well as he says then you'd be proud to list them on there? Very very inbred, i don't think he has a stock bird that does not have Oude Dolle in its breeeding at least twice!

You dont need to be albert einstien to work out that these pigeons are bred for type and also bred from generations of untried stock.The chances of breeding a decent doo from them is remote be aware be very aware.

Yea, but anyone with a titter o' wit would be crossing them straight away, that's how you get the best from them ;)

Yea, but anyone with a titter o' wit would be crossing them straight away, that's how you get the best from them ;)

I can guarntee you that the majority of these pigeons will be retarded if you raced them they would go down like snow af a dyke and you would want to cross retards into your proven stock that disnae make sense to me.

It is interesting to note that the Elimar sale is an online and Auction Room sale.

Yet another method of pushing up the selling price.

yes as i found to my dismay at j&a mellors sale i lost out by a tenner in the room after having the highest internet bid, i arrived just before the auction and asked les could i go to bank after the sale as i was running late but no chance resulting in me missing the bird i wanted...cheers les!!

It is interesting to note that the Elimar sale is an online and Auction Room sale.

Yet another method of pushing up the selling price.

I bloody hate that, internet then auction room. *expletive removed* greedy b,,,,,,, if you ask me. No wonder the pigeon game is in the state it is with all these con men in it >:(

bob mcdonald was the first to bring jan ardens into this country his are out standing and raced every season

I bought a pair of youngsters from him back in the early 80's after seeing his stock at Blackpool, 1 hen won herself and the other bred a handfull of winners upto and including 504m.

I went to his auction a couple of years ago at Blackpool and the birds wern't a patch on the birds he had 25 years ago, they were clearly very inbred, small etc and certainly wern't what I wanted to reintroduce.