Intensity, Integrity And Intelligance Blog.

Wiley

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This red cock is sire, grandsire and great grandsire of winners here, he is a full brother to sticker donckers famous Wonderboy, and he is responsible for the red and mealy line in my family of birds. The sticker donckers made an immediate impact when they was introduced here. Two half brothers from this cock yesterday was 1st and 2nd.

post-607-14923504337479_thumb.jpeg

Today, sees the protein weaned from the racing mixture, allowing the carbs and fats to be increased, with the next two days being extremely fatty.

The young birds recieve there second vaccination for pmv and herpes. This means the young birds are to be kept in today. Their coats are changing daily, and youngsters appearances make birds once instantly recogniseable to ones you have to take a second glance at.

Hi Ryan

I have enjoyed reading your blog very much

I would like to ask if you don't mind how do you judge the fat amount you feed the birds , I struggle to understand how many grams of fat is retained and how to know if the fat stored is correct for the amount of miles they will fly taking into account mileage and wind etc

My concern being that I feed to much fat and it becomes a extra load to carry that is not required for flight as the carbs would not be used fully for the length of flight.

This last post takes it beyond another realm ,neila how can you or any one else guage this its impossible

I would think expert fanciers like Ryan would judge better than average fliers for example how would fats be fed if a race is flown one week from 150 miles in a head wind and the next week100 miles in a tail wind surely the amount of fat seeds fed would differ and I would think my question would be of interest to many in order to understand the thinking behind the use of fat seeds

Hi RyanI have enjoyed reading your blog very muchI would like to ask if you don't mind how do you judge the fat amount you feed the birds , I struggle to understand how many grams of fat is retained and how to know if the fat stored is correct for the amount of miles they will fly taking into account mileage and wind etcMy concern being that I feed to much fat and it becomes a extra load to carry that is not required for flight as the carbs would not be used fully for the length of flight.

I would think expert fanciers like Ryan would judge better than average fliers for example how would fats be fed if a race is flown one week from 150 miles in a head wind and the next week100 miles in a tail wind surely the amount of fat seeds fed would differ and I would think my question would be of interest to many in order to understand the thinking behind the use of fat seeds

Thanks for the kind comment on being an expert but being honest thats far from the truth, i dont think there is any expert in this game as every day is a learning day.

My pigeons diet is extremely high in fats, as i want my pigeons bodies to metabolize fat as its number 1 energy source. The fact of the matter is any carbs fed to pigeons is used up extremely quickly, so fats as the main energy source is the best choice. A way to look at my pigeons is that they could be on similar to an Atkins diet, and the benefits of the high fat diet is well established with extra energy, extra muscle mass just two examples. As ive said in the blog previous my birds recieve hemp after every exercise period, and peanuts after every meal. That isnot including the peanuts, sunflower hearts and various other fat sources that are in the widowhood mix.

I feel a feed manufactuer may be of better benefit to answer your question on this buddy, as my thoughts are basic, and are just through years of experimentation. However i can suggest Eddy Noel of matador he is very precise and he also featured on secrets of champions and has a big feature on his 'Fat Thursday'.

Regarding wind and milage for myself it does come into play and will tweak certain things when neccesary but it would be difficult to describe, and most of my decisions are based on the wind what country file give on a sunday.

Tuesday saw weigh day and the birds weighed in this week at an average of 16.7oz. Which saw one cock in particular put on 9 grams. I was hoping theteam was going to be around the 16.5oz this week but fill this cock pushed that average up.

At the federation meeting it was announced we was 2nd,3rd,8th,14th,16th,20th fed, which i felt was very good as no ets is used in my federation through gentlemans agreement so i was more then happy with the teams performance in a very close race. Just hope the good run can continue

Tuesday saw weigh day and the birds weighed in this week at an average of 16.7oz. Which saw one cock in particular put on 9 grams. I was hoping theteam was going to be around the 16.5oz this week but fill this cock pushed that average up.

At the federation meeting it was announced we was 2nd,3rd,8th,14th,16th,20th fed, which i felt was very good as no ets is used in my federation through gentlemans agreement so i was more then happy with the teams performance in a very close race. Just hope the good run can continue

How do you weigh your birds ? Never been interested in shorter racing so never seen it done before although have read about it .

Well done on your good start to season .

How do you weigh your birds ? Never been interested in shorter racing so never seen it done before although have read about it .

Well done on your good start to season .

Its not only for short racing eastcoaster, i will be doing it for distance racing, which we also compete at well. However weighing pigeons is an experiment i am following this year to see if i can link individuals weights to performance.

First you must have a set of electronic scales and an empty pigeon carrying box. Put the box on the scales and set to 0. Place your bird in the box, and allow the bird to calm. Take the reading once bird has settled in grams. Then divide its weight in grams by 28 to give you the birds weight in ounces.

Its not only for short racing eastcoaster, i will be doing it for distance racing, which we also compete at well. However weighing pigeons is an experiment i am following this year to see if i can link individuals weights to performance.

First you must have a set of electronic scales and an empty pigeon carrying box. Put the box on the scales and set to 0. Place your bird in the box, and allow the bird to calm. Take the reading once bird has settled in grams. Then divide its weight in grams by 28 to give you the birds weight in ounces.

Ok kind of straight forward , so for say 500 mls would you keep bird same weight as for 200 mls .

Get to bed :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Ok kind of straight forward , so for say 500 mls would you keep bird same weight as for 200 mls .

As i say eastcoaster its an experiement im doing this season so i canny really five you an answer on that, but im sure their will be birds ill be sending at the same weight or similar but my feeding over 300 miles changes, so i cannot really comment until that time comes and they are weighed

Edited by Wiley

Get to bed :emoticon-0136-giggle:

As i say eastcoaster its an experiement im doing this season so i canny really five you an answer on that, but im sure their will be birds ill be sending at the same weight or similar but my feeding over 300 miles changes, so i cannot really comment until that time comes and they are weighed

Please don't think I,m questioning your system just very interested as the distance races are where I want to succeed but a bird spending 3 days in basket surely must carry a more body than a pigeon going over night and only flying half the distance .

I hope you are successful because I think you must think outside the box as pigeon racing has changed .

Please don't think I,m questioning your system just very interested as the distance races are where I want to succeed but a bird spending 3 days in basket surely must carry a more body than a pigeon going over night and only flying half the distance .

I hope you are successful because I think you must think outside the box as pigeon racing has changed .

Eastcoaster, my way of feeding for distance is much like geoff kirkland, a few days before sending the feed is light, to give them appetite and to make sure they eat in the basket with vigour. Another thing to consider is the distance runners you dont see them carry an ounce of fat they are lean, but what they eat in prep for the events a few days before makes them excel. Doing it this way has served me well without boring you with any performances. But all roads lead to rome for sure.

Youngsters put in another food effort today, 1hr 15 minutes. My eye on the game switched off slightly with them and i have ran out of barley, so their percentage of grain will be at 100% at least until tuesday, when is the earliest i can travel to get the quality of barley i am happy with.

I will pick up a number of bags of just versele laga barley. As many know i dont have to visit stores very often as i buy my racing mixtures in bulck and as one batch. This year having seperate sections for the racers when the combine races come along, the team will be fed entirely differently. Especially the team that isnt going to the races over 300 miles, the week they stay at home they will be put onto 100% barley at only an ounce each, and then built up the following week again on the race system. This is something ive never been able to do previously as they had to be in the same section and feeding communally they all had to be fed the same.

A previous yearling winner went missing from the loft today, he was the said cock that i said a few posts back put on 9 gramms this week. I thought the worst, and thought percy may have grabbed him, he wasnt at the lofts by the time i left. However speaking to dad this afternoon he told me he returned 3 hours later, trapped onto the loft roof and was roaring his head off. God knows where he had been but glad his back amongst the team as i felt he may have been dead.

Hi Ryan

when you mention feeding light prior to a distance race do you mean in quantity or light as in barley but the normal amount in weight

Hi Neila

No, the quantity is actually huge in number prior to basketing, but i mean light as in grains....i wouldnt go as far as using barley, but a depurative mixture will be in the composition.

Thanks Ryan

I was thinking along the lines of a energy mix with some Gerry mixed in as that is a pretty high fat content but adds carbs to the overall content,

would I be far out with this ?

Or would you cut the maize in order that they look first for it in the basket as I never understand why birds are fed on a mixture at race points with any form of peas in it when you only want carbs and in the main fat based grains