Roundabout

BrianS

On Roundabout with cocks in Nestbox section would you let hens out first then move cocks into their side and let hens come back in to the nestbox/cocks side or would let the cocks out first then move the hens over and let cocks return in to the hens side, or does it not matter which side first? Thnks.

On Roundabout with cocks in Nestbox section would you let hens out first then move cocks into their side and let hens come back in to the nestbox/cocks side or would let the cocks out first then move the hens over and let cocks return in to the hens side, or does it not matter which side first? Thnks.

Ladies before gents lol

If I had the time i would try and trap the hens back into their own section and that way they wouldn't see the nest boxes at all during the week/exercise periods therefore the first time they would see the box is on a Friday basketing

If I were racing roundabout I'd go with that one Martin

Should there not be boxed sections for both on roundabout?

Different variations stevie whichever one suits your lifestyle I find once hens get too often in the box then they start to pair up together and with me with 32 hens boxing them up individually in hen boxes is just too time consuming for me personally,but to get them into their own section I think you would need to be really strict with them i.e. not in not fed lol

If I had the time i would try and trap the hens back into their own section and that way they wouldn't see the nest boxes at all during the week/exercise periods therefore the first time they would see the box is on a Friday basketing

If you keep, liberate and trap say the cocks in one section with boxes, and then keep the hens in another section treating them the same way, only giving them access to boxes on Friday, isn't that Widowhood ? Where's the Roundabout ? This has confused me a bit, so please forgive me if I've missed something ! Thank you.

Different variations stevie whichever one suits your lifestyle I find once hens get too often in the box then they start to pair up together and with me with 32 hens boxing them up individually in hen boxes is just too time consuming for me personally,but to get them into their own section I think you would need to be really strict with them i.e. not in not fed lol

Ye lots of work Martin that's for sure....we tried it here with 12 cocks and hens in identical ensure with a sliding door.....they didn't race any better than norm

If you keep, liberate and trap say the cocks in one section with boxes, and then keep the hens in another section treating them the same way, only giving them access to boxes on Friday, isn't that Widowhood ? Where's the Roundabout ? This has confused me a bit, so please forgive me if I've missed something ! Thank you.

Not saying it's not a form of widowhood it's just a system I think would be more easier/beneficial in the long run rather than letting the hen see too much of the box but to answer the original poster then then yes hens out cocks moved to hens end hens in cocks out feed the hens in whatever end you like but sometimes I think you need a bit of variation to keep them on their toes jmo

yea you see, some say hens out first, others say cocks out first.but doesn't this mean you can only fly hens one week and cocks next week,or can you race both at same time?

No Friday before basketing open the boxes and give the cocks their bowl,once their in the bowl calling the hen open your sliding door/trap between your 2 sections,your hens will soon click on to what's happening and be in the cocks section before you can say jack jones,when she's in the box/bowl with the cock making a fuss of him time to basket,no hard and fast rules on length of time together (everyone's own pref)but I like to keep it as short as poss,then I basket the 2 together(separate baskets of course)