Hopper Feeding

Guest Hairylayer

Guest Hairylayer

Thinking of hopper feeding all the birds over the winter maybe beans and barley and increase the barley towards pairing up time.

This got my thinking that hopper feeding might work better for me racing next year as my loft quite a way from home and might be more consistent, what Do you guys think? How could control the birds?

Any thoughts or advice would be great cheers :drinking-coffee-200:

Thinking of hopper feeding all the birds over the winter maybe beans and barley and increase the barley towards pairing up time.

This got my thinking that hopper feeding might work better for me racing next year as my loft quite a way from home and might be more consistent, what Do you guys think? How could control the birds?

Hopper feeding is fine for the winter. You must make sure that it cannot become contaminated and make sure any vermin are kept under control. For raceing plenty will say no problem but for me no. Control is greater thru feeding and even if you are only at the loft once a day during raceing then they will adjust to YOUR routine. As you will only be raceing young birds( I guess) then control is everything on a tight time regime.

I tried the hopper what i found great for beans ,and not to bad with mixtures ,but if you try it with breeding and youngsters in the nest bluddy awful ,they pick and chose the seeds they want and the rest get scattered all over the floor wasted ,also i think it would help if they were on open hole to help regulate the weight ,just my thoughts on it.

I tried the hopper what i found great for beans ,and not to bad with mixtures ,but if you try it with breeding and youngsters in the nest bluddy awful ,they pick and chose the seeds they want and the rest get scattered all over the floor wasted ,also i think it would help if they were on open hole to help regulate the weight ,just my thoughts on it.

He won't be having an open hole where he is unfortunately the bop will see to that

Hopper feeding is a great method for pigeons but it all depends on what hoppers you invest in and it takes some time for fancier and pigeons to get this system right . It's not just about filling a hopper and that's it . JMO :)

Hopper feeding is a great method for pigeons but it all depends on what hoppers you invest in and it takes some time for fancier and pigeons to get this system right . It's not just about filling a hopper and that's it . JMO :)

Great insight into the use of hoppers expletive remove. What hoppers? How much? Wots best feed in them? Jeez oh

Great insight into the use of hoppers expletive remove. What hoppers? How much? Wots best feed in them? Jeez oh

BARLEY is the best feeding for the hoppers (100%) and if you keep yir hat on ya angry bassa I would have elaborated further but not knowing what hoppers are going to be used posted what I thought was appropriate. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

BARLEY is the best feeding for the hoppers (100%) and if you keep yir hat on ya angry bassa I would have elaborated further but not knowing what hoppers are going to be used posted what I thought was appropriate. :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Billy did ye get some one to make custom made hoppers to ur spec last year?....im fuzzed at the moment :emoticon-0138-thinking::P

if im dreamin forget statement :lol: ...but if correct can ye post a photo :smiling-scarecrow-329:

cheers big ears :drinking-coffee-200:

Sorry .................If barley is the best thing then they are sh** lol

:emoticon-0136-giggle: .

Got these from crafty fifer (2013) .

good man Billy :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

they look the dogs dangly bits....dont want to do crafty fifer out of any business, the carriage to here would prolly cost more than the hoppers. Billy old internet pal :animatedpigeons: ...could ye send me the measurements by pm :P

good man Billy :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

they look the dogs dangly bits....dont want to do crafty fifer out of any business, the carriage to here would prolly cost more than the hoppers. Billy old internet pal :animatedpigeons: ...could ye send me the measurements by pm :P

:emoticon-0138-thinking: . Was going to tell you to .*expletive removed* off troll :emoticon-0136-giggle: . But if you post that you will try some BARLEY in them when you have made them then I will tomorrow send you pictures and measurements :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Been using Hoppers for a few years now. I bought those bags with the feeding holes in them, sorry but I can't remember the name they were sold under.

Fly Natural so don't have to worry about control of the birds, but they do know when there's a titbit on the way and soon learn.