Horse Wormer

plumber

Went to equine shop today to get Quest horse wormer, they only had Equest, is this the same product?

same thing mate i got it as well last week but probably wont use it again as i couldnt find out the proper dosage,every post etc on this site and several others said a different dosage,anyway i finally used 5ml to 2 litres of warm water and had one hell of a job getting the gel dissolved,its like glue,so got birds dosed okay and alls well ,hope this helps.

You can buy cydectin from a Vet and he will give you the correct dose as well.

Cydectin was first brought out for sheep but it is the best wormer I know for pigeons. The problem is with hair worm. Vets often prescribe a single dose of wormer when they find hair worm but one dose is hardly ever enough. The birds need testing again after a couple of weeks and treated again if hair worm is found. The danger is that if hair worm survives the treatment they can become immune to the medication. If this happens we are all in trouble because we could be dealing with a bug that would be almost impossible to kill after a few years. Hair worm can be devastating to their hosts because they do a lot of damage to the intestine walls. Vets have a lot to answer for due to their casual attitude to many of these things.

Guest homestead

What about ivermectin sheep wormer I had big bottle for when I had sheep does tht work I got a bird one keep it was for parrots and birds

ivermectin, one drop on the neck worms and kills lice and do that twice a year weve used it for years with no problem

There is no such thing as a medication that knows it is for sheep, cattle, horses or anything else. Wormers are basically chemicals that kill worms in what ever creature they are used with. The reason why sheep wormers are better than pigeon wormers is partly cost savings and efficiency. We all know that Vets will bump up the price of anything connected to pets or hobbies whereas they have to be careful what they do when they deal with the Farming Profession. Farmers either employ accountants or examine their accounts themselves which makes them very aware of cost because increases in cost would cut into their margins. In addition to that Farmers are served well by their Union and their press so any messing about with the cost of medication would be immediately be picked up. Compare that with our situation and you will see that we are exploited to squeeze every penny out of us. So if medication is both cheaper and better we would be fools to ignore it. In regard to the efficiency of the product. If wormers were to be too weak or inefficient where Farmers are concerned all hell would be let loose and the manufacturer would be in trouble. In our case many pigeon fanciers would not know how to evaluate the efficiency of a medication and put their trust in the wording on the packaging so the manufacturers would be able to sell us inferior products without the worry of being found out. I reckon that we are better off buying medications made for professionals because we are far more likely to have products that work as they should at cheaper prices.

There is no such thing as a medication that knows it is for sheep, cattle, horses or anything else. Wormers are basically chemicals that kill worms in what ever creature they are used with. The reason why sheep wormers are better than pigeon wormers is partly cost savings and efficiency. We all know that Vets will bump up the price of anything connected to pets or hobbies whereas they have to be careful what they do when they deal with the Farming Profession. Farmers either employ accountants or examine their accounts themselves which makes them very aware of cost because increases in cost would cut into their margins. In addition to that Farmers are served well by their Union and their press so any messing about with the cost of medication would be immediately be picked up. Compare that with our situation and you will see that we are exploited to squeeze every penny out of us. So if medication is both cheaper and better we would be fools to ignore it. In regard to the efficiency of the product. If wormers were to be too weak or inefficient where Farmers are concerned all hell would be let loose and the manufacturer would be in trouble. In our case many pigeon fanciers would not know how to evaluate the efficiency of a medication and put their trust in the wording on the packaging so the manufacturers would be able to sell us inferior products without the worry of being found out. I reckon that we are better off buying medications made for professionals because we are far more likely to have products that work as they should at cheaper prices.

Great post Owen .hope this gets through to the F... That brigade ;)

Why not use something more suitable such as cydectin?

the horse wormer paste active ingredient is moxydectin 10%

have just checked up on cydectin and its exactly the same ingredient just a different trade name .

Wormer Cydectin 10% LA For Cattle

< Back

Long acting endectocide for cattle. Helps provide season long protection against lungworm and

stomach worm from a single subcutaneous injection at the base of the ear. Licenced Persistency: Internal Parasites up to 150 days, External Parasites up to 133 days. Active Ingredient: 10% moxidectin.

so cydectin is not any different anyway . :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

one of the reasons i use cydectin is i know exactly whats in the bottle ive seen so called moxidectin in bottles before and it was no way moxidectin just someone trying to make a easy few bob

cydectin is moxydectin anyway no difference lol

< Back

Long acting endectocide for cattle. Helps provide season long protection against lungworm and

stomach worm from a single subcutaneous injection at the base of the ear. Licenced Persistency: Internal Parasites up to 150 days, External Parasites up to 133 days. Active Ingredient: 10% moxidectin.

ivermectin, one drop on the neck worms and kills lice and do that twice a year weve used it for years with no problem

i was always under the impression it killed worms but just read though what it kills and what it dont and was surprised .

Inhibited

PARASITE Adult L4 L4

Gastrointestinal

Roundworms:

Ostertagia ostertagi • • •

Cooperia spp. • •

Haemonchus placei • •

Trichostrongylus axei • •

Trichostrongylus

colubriformis • •

Oesophagostomum

radiatum • •

Strongyloides papillosus •

Trichuris spp. •

Lungworms:

Dictyocaulus viviparus • •

Eye Worms:

Thelazia spp. •

Warbles (parasitic stages): Adult Immature

Hypoderma bovis •

H. lineatum •

Mange Mites:

Chorioptes bovis • •

Sarcoptes scabiei var. bovis • •

Sucking Lice:

Linognathus vituli • •

Solenopotes capillatus • •

Haematopinus eurysternus • •

Biting Lice:

Damalinia bovis • •

the ones in red are the ones it dosent work on acording to the spec :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Used to use Nemacide until they took it off the market and now use Levacide 7.5% at a dose rate of 0.1ml per 1 litre of water, 3 days on 2 days off and 3 days on as instructed by a veterinary surgeon.

peter Dimmitrol wormer for dogs is Diethylcarbamazine

which is also the same as in nemecide :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

NEMACIDE (diethylcarbamazine)

the horse wormer paste active ingredient is moxydectin 10%

have just checked up on cydectin and its exactly the same ingredient just a different trade name .

< Back

so cydectin is not any different anyway . :emoticon-0167-beer: :emoticon-0167-beer:

cydectin is moxydectin anyway no difference lol

< Back

i know what cydectin is been using it years its above on this thread the reason why cydectin is better because of its a lot easier to use you can even use a oral drench gun with it if you like and you can be more accurate with the dosage compared to a paste :)