K.index

tyson

I can understand how this may affect our birds and this maybe the reason for birds taking longer to clear racepoints but if the birds were left to their own devices they would eventually clear and return home.IMO when the birds struggle to get their bearings and are hanging around in big batches their being hit,those things can spot prey from miles away.

it is easy to blame the bops as their f"""""""" . it was not just a bad days racing for 1 fed .so are we to think bops where at all the lib sites. i still have some good birds to get home and can,t put it down to bops.it has been the hardest fed race i can think of and i am in the east the guys in west got a bad race aswell from other lib points

it is easy to blame the bops as their f"""""""" . it was not just a bad days racing for 1 fed .so are we to think bops where at all the lib sites. i still have some good birds to get home and can,t put it down to bops.it has been the hardest fed race i can think of and i am in the east the guys in west got a bad race aswell from other lib points

I would hazzard a guess and say there could be peregrines within a 10 mile radius of any Lib site in the UK.

Guest chad3646

Jim not sure what Lanarkshire do. But the Irish boys who liberate at Strathclyde park have the shutters up until there ready to lib then they cut the strings then close the shutters then liberate.

sounds a bit irish to me

:emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking: :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I would hazzard a guess and say there could be peregrines within a 10 mile radius of any Lib site in the UK.

Somebody said 9 nest sites in the last 30 miles from Gretna to home. A 300 mile race with the same intensity of nests would mean 90 nest sites, so potentially 90 hits over this distance. A lot to contend with.

British Geological Survey (BGS) based in Edinburgh feeds data into the notional average ‘world’ K index from readings collected automatically by its 3 observatories based at Hartland, North Devon; Eskdalemuir in Scottish Borders, and Lerwick, Shetland. It also publishes the readings from midnight to midnight in 3-hourly bands (unfortunately one day behind) and IMO these are the readings to go by as they show the true picture over Britain, and that’s where our birds are flying. If you think of K indices as weather-related information then saying ‘the K index was 4’ is the same as saying it was raining in Britain. Is that everywhere, all day? Also, according to what BGS told me geomagnetic storms hit this part of the world at night, typically between 10pm and 2am., when the birds are safe in the baskets and still hours away from liberation.

Here’s the K Indices for Saturday 1st June

Hartland

0000 to 3am: 5

3am to 6am : 6

6am to 9am : 4

9am to 1200: 4

12 to 3pm : 5

3pm to 6pm: 4

6pm to 9pm : 3

9pm to 0000: 3

Eskdalemuir

0000 to 3am: 5

6am to 9am : 5

12 to 3pm : 5

3pm to 6pm: 3

Lerwick

0000 to 3am: 6

6am to 9am : 7

12 to 3pm : 4

3pm to 6pm: 3

http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/data_service/data/magnetic_indices/k_indices.html

• 1 year later...

I can understand how this may affect our birds and this maybe the reason for birds taking longer to clear racepoints but if the birds were left to their own devices they would eventually clear and return home.IMO when the birds struggle to get their bearings and are hanging around in big batches their being hit,those things can spot prey from miles away.

correct m8 they dont want to go they know whats up ahead