Paramyxo

1=In a clean,non-dirty area remove a needle from the sterile wrapping.Leave the protective plastic cover on.

2=Remove the vaccine bottle from the box.Using a piece of cotton wool dampened in sterilising solution wipe the top of the vaccine bottle.

3=Remove the plastic cover from the needle carefully.Hold the needle by the plastic neck and push the needle through the rubber bung into the vaccine DO NOT TOUCH THE METAL NEEDLE.

4=Remove the sterile syringe from the paper wrapping.Hold the barrel or plunger.DO NOT TOUCH THE TIP.

5=Pull the plunger back to the 0.5ml mark.The syringe is now half full of air.Attach the syringe to the needle in the vaccine bottle.Push the plunger down.

6=Hold the vaccine bottle upside down.Pull the plunger back to the 1.0ml mark,slowly so the vaccine fills the syringe.Disconnect the syringe from the needle.Do not remove the needle from the bottle.It should stay there.

7=Remove another sterile needle from the wrapping paper.Attach the needle to the syringe and push it down till its at the 1.0ml mark and a drop of vaccine has come out of the needle.Replace the plastic cover.The syringe now contains four doses of vaccine.One doses for each of four pigeons.

8=Clean the skin at the base of the pigeon's neck with sterelising solution on a piece of cotton wool.This not only cleanses the skin,but also enables you to see clearly where you are putting the needle and helps to avoid contaminating the vaccination site.Inject 0.25ml of vaccine just under the skin at the base of the neck with the needle pointing outwards to the tail.Avoid any veins or feather follicles,insert the needle no more than 1/4 inch.

9=When vaccinating,ensure that the oblique cut on the needle is totally under the skin.There is evidence that vaccine forced between layers of skin can cause trouble.

10=To help prevent cross-infection,through use of contaminated needles,follow this procedure;soak a foam pad with sterilising solution in a plastic cup.Push the full leinght of the needle into the foam pad.Sterilising the needle between each injection will help prevent cross-infection.Never insert an unsterilized needle into a bottle of vaccine.

11=No more than 25 birds should be vaccinated with the same needle.If traces of vaccins appear on the feathers of the birds,the injection has been inproperly carried out and should be repeated.Shake vaccine well between vaccinations.

WITHDRAWAL PERIOD;ZERO DAYS.

STORE AT 2-8/0C.DO NOT FREEZE.

ONCE BROACHED USE IMMEDIATELY

1=In a clean,non-dirty area remove a needle from the sterile wrapping.Leave the protective plastic cover on.

2=Remove the vaccine bottle from the box.Using a piece of cotton wool dampened in sterilising solution wipe the top of the vaccine bottle.

3=Remove the plastic cover from the needle carefully.Hold the needle by the plastic neck and push the needle through the rubber bung into the vaccine DO NOT TOUCH THE METAL NEEDLE.

4=Remove the sterile syringe from the paper wrapping.Hold the barrel or plunger.DO NOT TOUCH THE TIP.

5=Pull the plunger back to the 0.5ml mark.The syringe is now half full of air.Attach the syringe to the needle in the vaccine bottle.Push the plunger down.

6=Hold the vaccine bottle upside down.Pull the plunger back to the 1.0ml mark,slowly so the vaccine fills the syringe.Disconnect the syringe from the needle.Do not remove the needle from the bottle.It should stay there.

7=Remove another sterile needle from the wrapping paper.Attach the needle to the syringe and push it down till its at the 1.0ml mark and a drop of vaccine has come out of the needle.Replace the plastic cover.The syringe now contains four doses of vaccine.One doses for each of four pigeons.

8=Clean the skin at the base of the pigeon's neck with sterelising solution on a piece of cotton wool.This not only cleanses the skin,but also enables you to see clearly where you are putting the needle and helps to avoid contaminating the vaccination site.Inject 0.25ml of vaccine just under the skin at the base of the neck with the needle pointing outwards to the tail.Avoid any veins or feather follicles,insert the needle no more than 1/4 inch.

9=When vaccinating,ensure that the oblique cut on the needle is totally under the skin.There is evidence that vaccine forced between layers of skin can cause trouble.

10=To help prevent cross-infection,through use of contaminated needles,follow this procedure;soak a foam pad with sterilising solution in a plastic cup.Push the full leinght of the needle into the foam pad.Sterilising the needle between each injection will help prevent cross-infection.Never insert an unsterilized needle into a bottle of vaccine.

11=No more than 25 birds should be vaccinated with the same needle.If traces of vaccins appear on the feathers of the birds,the injection has been inproperly carried out and should be repeated.Shake vaccine well between vaccinations.

WITHDRAWAL PERIOD;ZERO DAYS.

STORE AT 2-8/0C.DO NOT FREEZE.

ONCE BROACHED USE IMMEDIATELY

i rest my case thanks m8 but they still dont believe you

it does not cure it jimmy it stops you getting it when used correctly

Yes Walter correctly.When the paramyxo jag first came out all birds of owners were to be jagged 18 days old and over before racing or showing or mixing with other birds.All birds in lofts not just old birds.Then pigeon men decide to change the rules to suit themselves start jagging old birds only before the old bird racing.Why because if they don't jag their young birds until the old bird racings done then their yearlings wont need done the next year saving them pennys,but what dose it cost them in ybs you've hit the nail on the head with your posts.Its not a problem adding later young birds to the team just keep them separated for at least 14 after their jag I've a 6''4' (hospital wing)that my later ones go into for at least 14 days before they go into the young bird section.Before they go through to the young bird section I let the older ones out clean it out soak with jays fluid then let the younger ones through then clean and soak that with jays I have never once had ybs in 20 years flying myself.When the jags first came out they said if we all done this for 3 years that would be the end of it 30 years on and we're still jagging.Now pigeon men changed the goalposts not the vets.Using old jags not following the rules.Its about time that the SHU RPRA put a bit in the BHW letting the members know the proper and right way to go about vaccinating pigeons now your post may give them something to think about

You need rules like the Up North Combine

Old Birds

Must be vaccinated and copies of vaccination certificates to be in the hands of the combine secretary by 1st March

Young birds

As above - copies of vaccination certificates to be in the hands of the combine secretary by 1st June

Failure to do so means birds cannot be raced for 4 weeks after the date of vaccination

It would be impossible to cover the yearlings for the full old bird season unless they were vaccinated again

Old Birds

Must be vaccinated and copies of vaccination certificates to be in the hands of the combine secretary by 1st March

Young birds

As above - copies of vaccination certificates to be in the hands of the combine secretary by 1st June

Failure to do so means birds cannot be raced for 4 weeks after the date of vaccination

It would be impossible to cover the yearlings for the full old bird season unless they were vaccinated again

club rules were the same when back in North Wales .nothing here tho :emoticon-0127-lipssealed:

Old Birds

Young birds

our young bird racing this year starts on the 20th July 2013 so there will be pigeon men jagging them the start of July .Now our oldbird federation racing ends the third week in june 2014 so hows it impossible? that gives them 2 weeks to spare

our young bird racing this year starts on the 20th July 2013 so there will be pigeon men jagging them the start of July .Now our oldbird federation racing ends the third week in june 2014 so hows it impossible? that gives them 2 weeks to spare

Yeah jagging 1st July 2012 YB technically covers yearlings until end of our old bird season 2013. I myself jag them again so they get 2 Jags within around 8 months

it was a rule here to andy but as it says on the ets race print out sheet all birds vaccinated acording to maff rules that was accepted as proof but as has been said on here anyone can fix a sheet m8 we have to get it across to the guys its in there own interest to do it and do it properly or they put them selves and everyone in there club fed and national at risk of infection i know its a pain in the backside but if no vaccinates birds after three weeks before the first race they will see a difference in there own birds and there returns at the end of the season we will allway have bob and bad races but homing pigeons should get home even if its the next day or two and thats not happening and i think sickness is the cause

it was a rule here to andy but as it says on the ets race print out sheet all birds vaccinated acording to maff rules that was accepted as proof but as has been said on here anyone can fix a sheet m8 we have to get it across to the guys its in there own interest to do it and do it properly or they put them selves and everyone in there club fed and national at risk of infection i know its a pain in the backside but if no vaccinates birds after three weeks before the first race they will see a difference in there own birds and there returns at the end of the season we will allway have bob and bad races but homing pigeons should get home even if its the next day or two and thats not happening and i think sickness is the cause

Was just going to post the same about the ets sheet Walter .it just became another short cut for the doo man .i jag all my birds at the same time old birds young birds and you must jag all your stock birds .and to make life easy I got one of these

Yes Walter correctly.When the paramyxo jag first came out all birds of owners were to be jagged 18 days old and over before racing or showing or mixing with other birds.All birds in lofts not just old birds.Then pigeon men decide to change the rules to suit themselves start jagging old birds only before the old bird racing.Why because if they don't jag their young birds until the old bird racings done then their yearlings wont need done the next year saving them pennys,but what dose it cost them in ybs you've hit the nail on the head with your posts.Its not a problem adding later young birds to the team just keep them separated for at least 14 after their jag I've a 6''4' (hospital wing)that my later ones go into for at least 14 days before they go into the young bird section.Before they go through to the young bird section I let the older ones out clean it out soak with jays fluid then let the younger ones through then clean and soak that with jays I have never once had ybs in 20 years flying myself.When the jags first came out they said if we all done this for 3 years that would be the end of it 30 years on and we're still jagging.Now pigeon men changed the goalposts not the vets.Using old jags not following the rules.Its about time that the SHU RPRA put a bit in the BHW letting the members know the proper and right way to go about vaccinating pigeons now your post may give them something to think about

thanks m8 i know your right and it does them no harm to jag them twice within the year the important thing is all vaccination is done two weeks clear of training or racing

Was just going to post the same about the ets sheet Walter .it just became another short cut for the doo man .i jag all my birds at the same time old birds young birds and you must jag all your stock birds .and to make life easy I got one of these

yes billy and thats why you have neaver had ybs and great returns with a wee team of birds and me you and davy had good returnes last year when all around us were lossing them

Read my post again - as vaccination certificates have to be in to combine secretary before the 1st June (original to club secretary, copies to fed secretary and combine secretary) they then have to be vaccinated by mid May for that to happen

Your old bird season sounds very short, I've never known ANY old bird season finish in June,

would you agree with this then Walter , we need the S.H.U. to put it in writing in the rules to change it ?/ (having said that ,it may already be in the rules) ???? :emoticon-0138-thinking::emoticon-0138-thinking:

Read my post again - as vaccination certificates have to be in to combine secretary before the 1st June (original to club secretary, copies to fed secretary and combine secretary) they then have to be vaccinated by mid May for that to happen

Your old bird season sounds very short, I've never known ANY old bird season finish in June,

Only National races from the third week in June if your not a member of the National last year it ended on the 23rd June Maidstone

would you agree with this then Walter , we need the S.H.U. to put it in writing in the rules to change it ?/ (having said that ,it may already be in the rules) ???? :emoticon-0138-thinking::emoticon-0138-thinking:

i think it still a rule andy and you also had to take your vaccination sheet with you to send birds to the national it just seemed to fade out i would prefer if they made a rule that no one could vaccinate birds after two weeks be fore racing then we would not get problems

i think it still a rule andy and you also had to take your vaccination sheet with you to send birds to the national it just seemed to fade out i would prefer if they made a rule that no one could vaccinate birds after two weeks be fore racing then we would not get problems

it needs sorting then pal . what can we do to get it brought up again ?? :animatedpigeons:

the only way i can think of to be 100 percent fool proof and work for everyone would be to make a rule for a 4 week vaccination break between old and yb racing so all birds can be jagged together yearly as is i dont go to the last national any way so my yb will be done the night after basketing for the last race i choose to go to

the only way i can think of to be 100 percent fool proof and work for everyone would be to make a rule for a 4 week vaccination break between old and yb racing so all birds can be jagged together yearly as is i dont go to the last national any way so my yb will be done the night after basketing for the last race i choose to go to

:emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping: :emoticon-0137-clapping:

I think there is a bit of confusion in the posts on the vaccination arrangements in Scotland. Vaccination certificates for ALL racebirds for EVERY fancier properly completed and signed by the person doing vaccination, and the person witnessing it, MUST be handed to the club secretary BEFORE the first race, for EVERY OB season, and for EVERY YB season.

The bit on the race entry sheets about confirming the birds have been vaccinated simply conforms with the legal requirement that conformance with this requirement has to be documented for every race. The club secretarys' hold these race sheets and the vaccination certificates for two years - also a legal requirement - as evidence of conformation with that part of the UK pigeon racing 'licence'.

On the question about Scottish YB and Yearling seasons. Our YB season starts around 28th July. Our Yearlings usually go no further than the south coast, the longest inland race, and this year that's Maidstone 375 miles on 22nd June 13. In my case, my youngsters were done on 14/7/12 and my yearlings last race is entended to be Ypres, 450 miles, on 6/7/13. My 2012 YBs having been last done on 14/7/12 their last race on that is 6/7/13 and as they have no further racing in 2013 their next vaccination will be Feb 2014, prior to pairing up..

Hi mate where abouts did you purchase your gun, it looks very handy.

On the question about Scottish YB and Yearling seasons. Our YB season starts around 28th July. Our Yearlings usually go no further than the south coast, the longest inland race, and this year that's Maidstone 375 miles on 22nd June 13. In my case, my youngsters were done on 14/7/12 and my yearlings last race is entended to be Ypres, 450 miles, on 6/7/13. My 2012 YBs having been last done on 14/7/12 their last race on that is 6/7/13 and as they have no further racing in 2013 their next vaccination will be Feb 2014, prior to pairing up..

me to ib but this year im going to do them all again in september or october to cover them right till the end of racing next year then im not jagging any old birds in that year then it will be same time every year so just the yb to worry about then

I think there is a bit of confusion in the posts on the vaccination arrangements in Scotland. Vaccination certificates for ALL racebirds for EVERY fancier properly completed and signed by the person doing vaccination, and the person witnessing it, MUST be handed to the club secretary BEFORE the first race, for EVERY OB season, and for EVERY YB season.

The bit on the race entry sheets about confirming the birds have been vaccinated simply conforms with the legal requirement that conformance with this requirement has to be documented for every race. The club secretarys' hold these race sheets and the vaccination certificates for two years - also a legal requirement - as evidence of conformation with that part of the UK pigeon racing 'licence'.

dead right ib so how can someone be signing a sheet as witness to guys jagging birds every other week using an opened vaccine bottle the maff would have a field day m8