Celibate

geordie1234

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regard to the distance that celibate cocks will do. Normally I would not send my birds across the pond but this year I wanted to compete for a ring scheme competition with youngsters so I sent birds to Carentan. I won the money and the birds did the job without a problem scoring in both the Club and the Fed.

I reckon that flying 400 miles is more about the type of pigeons you have then the system. Celibate cocks will stay in form much longer than widowhood cocks and will not get stressed out by seeing the hen or anticipating seeing the hen on their return. They should be at a very high level of fitness so I don't see the problem.

Agreed that my birds are sprinters but they get sticky races just like any other pigeon and can get very tired sometimes but they don't miss a race unless they are injured. I find that they are always there or there abouts every week. I think if I were to want to send birds to long races, I would rest them the week before the race and then steam them up and send them to do a job.

In regard to the distance that celibate cocks will do. Normally I would not send my birds across the pond but this year I wanted to compete for a ring scheme competition with youngsters so I sent birds to Carentan. I won the money and the birds did the job without a problem scoring in both the Club and the Fed.

I reckon that flying 400 miles is more about the type of pigeons you have then the system. Celibate cocks will stay in form much longer than widowhood cocks and will not get stressed out by seeing the hen or anticipating seeing the hen on their return. They should be at a very high level of fitness so I don't see the problem.

Agreed that my birds are sprinters but they get sticky races just like any other pigeon and can get very tired sometimes but they don't miss a race unless they are injured. I find that they are always there or there abouts every week. I think if I were to want to send birds to long races, I would rest them the week before the race and then steam them up and send them to do a job.

Are your racing cocks paired early in the year or just left dry all year?

Are your racing cocks paired early in the year or just left dry all year?

Thats the whole point ! They never get a hen - no pairing, no breeding, no rearing and no hen to nag them LOL. They might see a hen in the Cock loft before they go to a race, but no-one of the race team will own that hen, she's there just to motivate them - without the stress !

ATB,

Steve

well i should hope we do we spend enough time and money on them vets aint wat there cracked up to be im afraid in my eyes your birds are as healthy as the club u race in

Great posts terry cheers 4 sharing, agree with u on vets, lot of them lost with aviann pets, i wont treat birds for anything, 3 days rest, good mix, vits in water, bird doesn,t pick up Bin, Told weak birds breed Weaker birds, i dont value bird until its raced 300mile, then they hav proved worth saving, hav a packet of wormer in cupbroad 6 used !!!! havnt used them the packet is EIGHT year out of date, CHEAPEST vet the Binbag, jmo

Thats the whole point ! They never get a hen - no pairing, no breeding, no rearing and no hen to nag them LOL. They might see a hen in the Cock loft before they go to a race, but no-one of the race team will own that hen, she's there just to motivate them - without the stress !

ATB,

Steve

Hmmm No so sure. There are fanciers who take the view that celibate only during the racing season?

I use a homemade kind of mix where the cocks and hens are split and never shown, then repaired to set for specific races?

I have read of fanciers taking ybs early on and then racing DRY all season and descibing it as celibate? Diffo ideas from diffo fanciers?

Heres wot I mean

Takin from the web

http://www.dreyerloft.com/resources/Pigeon_Racing_Formula.pdf

Hmmm No so sure. There are fanciers who take the view that celibate only during the racing season?

I use a homemade kind of mix where the cocks and hens are split and never shown, then repaired to set for specific races?

I have read of fanciers taking ybs early on and then racing DRY all season and descibing it as celibate? Diffo ideas from diffo fanciers?

Heres wot I mean

Takin from the web

Dal,

I've never raced celibate and dint tend to, but regarding rearing as far as I'm aware Owens birds are never paired during there racing careers, only when there retired do they get a chance to rear, this is my understanding of Owens posts over the years

Heres wot I mean

Takin from the web

Agreed, many roads to Rome

My interpretation was purely technical and didn't encompass all of the variants that I am sure abound - sucessfully too !

Thanks for the link !

Steve

Dal,

I've never raced celibate and dint tend to, but regarding rearing as far as I'm aware Owens birds are never paired during there racing careers, only when there retired do they get a chance to rear, this is my understanding of Owens posts over the years

Ye Wiley I thought that

Just shows you tho diffo thoughts on celibacy from diffo places?

• 2 weeks later...

cocks are housed in a 16ft section all boxed out every cock is allowed to take its own box not forced on then hens are next door on v perches with sliding door between them hens are fed once a day on supermoulting 1ounce each cocks twice a day just over a ounce a day split into 2 feeds hens go out at 8am cocks get let into hens section after hens have had there fly there trapped and fed in cocks loft i then let cocks out for fly wen cocks are ready to come in i push hens to own section get cocks in feed them i wont see them untill 4pm and repeat again except hens only get 6 ounces between about 30 birds training wise first 4 chucks both sexes together trap together all to cocks loft left for a hour then split after 4 chucks sexes are trained seperate i train about 25 miles around 12 oclock on fridays before race i have been running hens with cocks from about 12 untill basketing they return from race all trap to cocks loft and left together untill next morning then split i use protein powder on corn sat sun mon i dont canker or cocci or worm anymore infact use nothing except bit of garlic in water with airways other ways of motivation i use is locking cocks in boxex letting hens roam the loft and visa versa show pen on floor ill put cock in one that will go in hen section and hen in one that will go in cock section sometimes i will let hens go lesbian and add chicken eggs to the nest works well before big race old birds will get around 10 chucks after that no more training just loft flying and no my race birds never get paired hope this helps

hi Terry

have you changed the feeding system during the race season from what you did before ?

and can i ask on the friday do you leave them for 5-6 hours? and do they partner off in this time at all

thanks

i change my feed a lot to get it right over the last 3 years its changed every year was on small seeds etc but now changed to super moulting it has 16 different seeds on it everything u need they stay on that all year yes i do mix things up with cocks and hens sometimes i do leave hens in with cocks for 5 to 6 hrs on friday and on return from race untill sunday morning and never go eggie its all about tweeking it to wat suits you ive raced widowhood natural etc but celibert is ten times better in my eyes no problems if u lose the cocks hen as never had a set one in start plus i think cocks get bored with same hen all the time its all about motivation for condition and fitness no other system will touch celibert for fitness

thanks Terry

can i just check the cocks feeding please when you say just over a ounce a day split would 1.25 ounce be correct as i see your hens are just under this

and i notice you no longer feed barely at all early in the week

thanks for your time to post this advice

cheers terry

I took the advice you posted elsewhere on the system and it worked well for the short season i had .

i did worry a bit so i kept a few old cocks on widowhood but will not be next year as i have a nice team of yearlings (never been paired). I think its best to start birds as yearlings on the system

I have set up a central trapping area now between the cocks and hens section as i found my older hens that were raced to the cocks lofts in past years were trying to drop early to gain entry to the cocks

so now both my cocks and hens will only have one entry point between the sections

cheers terry

would you let the hens run with the cocks section on the odd day during febuary/early for a few hours every week or so? or wait to training in late march

i ask as last year the first race i sent the hens to i ended up 3rd but 3 hens came and just flew round and round which cost us the race ,the nest race we won and was 3rd fed after a week of training back to the cocks ,so i am just trying to think how to get them to trap quick from the first race

• 8 years later...
17 minutes ago, neila said:

Anyone fly this system 

I tried it but found the cocks looked  great flew great at home but just off the pace on a Saturday compared to the cocks that had had eggs or babies in the box 

I've flown celibate for years now and it seems to work. Always do a wee something to motivate them after the first couple of races which gives them a wee lift. Cks and hens seem to do equally well on the whole. 

Thats 4 droping together,  took 1st, 2nd and 3rd Glasgow fed, the 4th had a problem with its ets ring and missed the result.  Not big birdage but they flew a fantastic race and it was great to get 4 on the drop, especially as they went

up with thousands of Lanarkshire doos. A hen trapped first that day followed by the cks. 

23 hours ago, ally mac said:

I've flown celibate for years now and it seems to work. Always do a wee something to motivate them after the first couple of races which gives them a wee lift. Cks and hens seem to do equally well on the whole. 

That’s good 

mine looked like world beaters but I think I didn’t motivate them correctly looking back cocks didn’t all claim a box they were more like youngsters changing perch’s maybe if they had claimed a set box it would have worked for me