How Long Have We Got Left

peter66

Going down hill very fast,starting to price itself out and money is needed to feed the family,they come first.Vat up at the begining of next year will put fuel prices up,diesel at the local was £1:26/ltr.yesterday.I bought two bags of what I would call average feed price wise that was £18:00 less a few pennies,I was going to buy some peanuts till I seen the price.Household fuel up.Yep I can see some of the younger lads with families throwing the towel in.

Our birds will be 50p/birds this season,time to cut down,you can have as much fun out of the sport with a small team.

Good luck lads .

Lindsay

is not looking good but from what i heard no one in club myself and misses flys in are packing up and had some good news other week mate of mine is set up a 5 bird club nunueaton 5 bird club goin straight down middle so good to hear use to be a big club many moons ago use to be fanciers mile long sending me personaly think it will boost the pigeon raceing around my way and i for one hope it does

atb

Racing pigeons has always been an expensive sport but I have the impression that it is going to become a whole lot more costly. People will have to decide how they will be able to afford it in future. Will they cut the numbers, which could see an end to the Big Birdages and the Mob Flyers? What about the training which I personally find essential? Maybe we will be forced into training in groups rather than singly as I do now. Feeding could change dramatically. Would there be more farm produced grain rather than the imported stuff we see now? Years ago people bought their pigeon corn by the peck, which as far as I know was 14lb in imperial measurement. Could we be going back to that, I wonder.

I do not think that the sport will end because the war failed to end it, the serious unemployment of Thatcher's Government failed to end it, and there are definately Fanciers around that are totally committed to their birds.

On a personal basis, I will try to carry on keeping the birds although I can see me keeping less than I have in the past. I will have to select far more rigorously. I am sure that I do not want a bunch of incompetent Politicians and a few bent Bankers to change my life so dramatically.

Who knows how long we have got I do not care in the slightest.I will keep racing pigeons as long as my health, old age and infirmity allows.I have got to say I would rather do this than play golf or bowls.The last two pursuits ain`t cheap.

well said walter. :) :) too much doom and gloom. :mad:

I dont no how many years the sport has left certainly not nearly enough young fanciers joining ,i have lived in the town for the past eleven years and not once has any lad or lassie said can i see the pigeons mister.There does not seem to be any lack of cash being spent on all these sale birds take blackpool weekend as an example thousands for sale AND EVERYONE A WINNER ,to me these are the people who are killing our sport where have the days gone when you gifted your best to fellow fanciers :emoticon-0138-thinking:

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

I think the sport may have a chance in the future with things going the way they are people may have to revert to an older style of living IMO.

But who knows we havent lost a member in my club for years and had 3 new ones this year taking it to 25 members

Guest redlad24

Who knows how long we have got I do not care in the slightest.I will keep racing pigeons as long as my health, old age and infirmity allows.I have got to say I would rather do this than play golf or bowls.The last two pursuits ain`t cheap.

too right mate, i see a lot of people in my club that had them when they were younger and then restarted back in them when they settleed down, i myself am prob going to america nxt yr for a few yrs to work with herself coming, but when i come back will start again, live for whats happening now, cos in a yrs time we dont know where we will be :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

only ourselves can stop pigeon racing as a sport

when that will be is dependent on our problem if we can sort that maybe more will hang around to race pigeons

There lithe answer then we could get back to the good old days

Only problem HOW :emoticon-0138-thinking:

PEOPLE MAKE THE SPORT DEAR MAGAZINES HAVE US BRAINWASHED INTO NEEDING THIS AND THAT TO RACE I GOT A LIST THREW THE DOOR TODAY OF BIRDS FOR SALE AT BELFAST SHOW CHEAPIST BIRD 70 QUID FROM A ENGLISH STUD OFFERING 72 BIRDS DO THEY THINK US IRISH R STUPID MOST OF THEM WILL GO HOME AGAIN AND THEY WONDER WHY KIDS R NOT COMING INTO THE SPORT

Think Pigeon racing will outsee me in my life and im relatively young.

Prices will get stupid but simple keep less birds.

Greenland - I already thought you were about one of the smallest team flyers i knoew lol and ps. 50p per bird!! we were paying that back in 1998 :cry-blow::cry-blow::002:

WE PAY 45P A BIRD

It might be an idea to foster and promote small clubs more.They are the lifeblood of the sport and help to encourage companionship and an excgange of ideas and practises amongst fanciers.These clubs should be placed on a sound financial footing and it has to be remembered that where club fees and birdage have not changed for many years the club will not prosper.Furthermore it might be an idea that small clubs could amalgamate and achieve strength through numbers.In the Pigeon Fancy change is inevitable and we will need to re-organise to meet modern challenges.Nothing ever remains the same!

I SAID TEN YEARS THAT WAS EIGHT YEARS AGO

Think you'll need to re evaluate your time scale, i intend being on this earth for another 25 years and as long as i draw breath and have an opponent i will be racing doos.

Young people are no going into any sports just now not just Pigeon sport.

My thoughts on it are simple,

Tell any kid he can start up a sport that demands attention EVERY day, no exceptions.

Tell them they will be scraping bird droppings off perches and boxes EVERY day, no exceptions.

Tell them they will be out in freezing conditions breaking ice in the drinkers and bath so the birds can use them.

Tell them they have to forget holidays unless they can arrange someone else to look after them.

Tell them it will cause arguments with any girlfriends they get because they will be accused of thinking more of the doos.

Tell them almost every penny of spare cash they have will go on the doos, winter and summer.

Then ask them do they fancy that Or a nice comfy bedroom with a PS.3 or the likes, paid for by their parents.

I know what 99.9% of them will choose, then we have to hope that some of the 0.01% are daft enough to choose Pigeons as their hobby!!!

Not just the small clubs, the biggest single knife in this sport s those able to taking advantage of the 'No so Able / Good' flyer. From the Nationals down to club level too many engineer for the 'Lesser Plebs' to bolster and feed the better off boys. No sour grapes here, just realism and factual truth. The manipulate area's and section to bolster the better located. Yes why? Because too many try to get on and get some fairer play and give up, and those able are the 'Clichés' that remain in office, often very detrimental to the membership and the sport as a whole.

No we can harness the wind.... but they even stop us adjusting the sails.

Whereas we all have to accept there can never be a level playing field... they won't even let you have a kick of the ball.

One only has to see week in and week out, Algam, combines, Feds even, are sending more birds than what send to the Nationals!

Now that should tell everyone something.

Not just the small clubs, the biggest single knife in this sport s those able to taking advantage of the 'No so Able / Good' flyer. From the Nationals down to club level too many engineer for the 'Lesser Plebs' to bolster and feed the better off boys. No sour grapes here, just realism and factual truth. The manipulate area's and section to bolster the better located. Yes why? Because too many try to get on and get some fairer play and give up, and those able are the 'Clichés' that remain in office, often very detrimental to the membership and the sport as a whole.

No we can harness the wind.... but they even stop us adjusting the sails.

Whereas we all have to accept there can never be a level playing field... they won't even let you have a kick of the ball.

One only has to see week in and week out, Algam, combines, Feds even, are sending more birds than what send to the Nationals!

Now that should tell everyone something.

Never can work out some peoples idea of "realism and factual truth"